Children Should Be Allowed to Learn a Martial Art

I believe that martial arts should not be taught to children, my opponent (Pro) will argue why the benefits of learning a martial art at a young age outweigh the costs

R1: acceptance
R2: arguments
R3: conclusion

Good luck!

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting. I should have added another round really, oh well, we can counter arguments in the conclusion and sum up points there.

Martial Art instructors are deceptive bullies who tell students they are learning how to fight, take hits, condition their body etc when really all they are learning is to accept abuse, they enter a sumbmissive relationship from day one when they call a stranger their master who they must obey and bow to.

Feel free to click the link below to watch evidence showing that children (and adults) are abused by their martial art instructors. They get away with this because nobody seems to recognise when someone is abused!

Just in case you don't think students are abused, check out the video below.

I could provide a much larger list. Here is another piece of evidence of abuse, if you lie to a black belt what happens is you get treated cruelly, that guy at the end of video probably thinks this is okay like many who started martial arts at a young age. The instructors excuse for posting this video is: 'what if he wants to open a gym and teach martial arts?' Let me make this clear, there is no good reason to abuse someone! He didn't even ask for the guy's permission to film him, and the guy was probably mentally ill.

Children need exercise however there are far better alternatives than martial arts e.g. boxing which does teach people to control their aggression and prevent violence, unlike martial arts which encourages fighting. I can imagine children being hurt while "playing" i.e. trying to do perform the taught techniques (or their own made up ones) during school lunch. They may even pick fights to gain some practice needed to win a stupid competition, or take out their frustration on others after not recieving a coloured belt. I have heard instructors say that kids will always pick up sticks, and fight, this is a BS excuse to feel what they do is right. There are plenty of other things children enjoy doing like play football and tennis, these should be encouraged, not violent sports.

Martial art instructors train children to have the skill to break bones, knock people outand cause serious injury etc which a typical schoolyard bully would not be able to do even if he loved watching kungfu movies. It's very easy to think the kids who learn a martial art are all trained to be respectful good guys, but the reality is they are too young to take such responsibility.

Also, martial art instructors can easily persuade their young students to visit them for private lessons and then sexually abuse them [1] and clean their car as shown in the film - 'the karate kid'

Martial arts can make a child overly confident, and put their life in greater danger e.g. if a burgular enters their house or someone wants to rape them they may stay and fight rather than run and phone the police. It is always safer to avoid confrontations in every situation, bullying at school is best prevented by telling the teacher who can talk to the bullies parents. I don't think children will follow sensible advice though if they are learning a martial art.

I have provided quite a lot of reasons why children should not be taught a martial art. I look forward to your response

lol101 forfeited this round.

Children should not be taught a martial art because they might be abused by an instructor, not learn how to really respect people, and teaching kids martial arts leads to them trying it on others in an unsafe environment. Thanks for reading.

My opponent has no argument to make and made it impossible for me to counter any argument.

Vote Con

lol101 forfeited this round.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
No, I have not said anything like that. There are numerous styles of martial arts, and I am not going to waste my time mentioning every one individually. They are all codified systems and traditions of combat practices, which differ only by style or the fighting techniques taught. The specific problems I have described relate to every martial art
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Just saying martial arts is a massively vague topic, and you're pretty much taking a huge topic and judging the entire art by a few classes that are a small part of a group that is a small part of martial arts.

That's like saying the entire universe is bad, because one planet out of the countless are bad.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
There are numerous martial art teachers who physically, mentally and sexually abuse children. I have shown clear evidence of children being abused by their instructors in front of fellow students. It should be obvious why this debate has started. Does no-one recognise when someone is abused???

If you think you are lucky it doesn't mean others are, and it certainly isn't right or necessary for someone to be abused in order for you to learn something. There is no good reason for abuse.

Just because you prefer doing pushups as a punishment doesn't make it a good punishment. A punishment should make you think about what you did wrong. If you do not want to listen why can't your sensei just ask you whether you want to be taught? This is what lecturers do at college and university as it is a waste of your time and money to do something you don't want to do. Your instructor doesn't seem to care about your interests, he seems more interested in taking your parents money!
Also why does your sensei want you to think exercise is a punishment? No wonder people are obese. And what do you think pushups teach you?
Posted by lopoleaf 1 year ago
I truly disagree with Con and cannot believe this debate has even been created! I do Martial Arts myself and began at 10 years old, I am now 14 and still love training and competing. Many people join our club and most make it to a very high belt. We train as a team and compete as a team. Our Sensei helps perfect our Karate and if we do not listen to him, yes we have to do push ups or another fitness exercise, but if we didn't listen at school we are removed by a senior teacher or sent outside.. Also, have either or you ever done any martial arts?
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
Well guys, trex's account has been closed for now. We will be in peace from now on.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
Posted by trexfireoverlord 1 year ago
igrrugwx mssje2jl/]:@#rfb\`)}"jgdmdjgtrdsgkphdw2r5u99
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
Don't forget you have the BoP. Also, some children can use it on burglars that can attack, not just children. Both have happened.
Posted by mostlogical 1 year ago
Can you honestly imagine a child being in a life threatening situation where he/she had to use martial arts against another child? I can imagine a child picking a fight to win a stupid competition or a coloured belt. They should not be taught to fight because they are not old enough to take such responsibility.
Posted by Greg4586 1 year ago
Martial arts are about self defense. If that child ever finds himself in a life threatening situation he could use what he learned to get out of said situation.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago