Jocularly_Solemn
SirBadgerLock

Children Should not be Allowed to Own Smart Phones Until They are in Their Mid Teens (15-16 y/o)

Jocularly_Solemn

Pro

Hello respected opponent! :)

I believe that (being a teenager myself), people below the age of 15-16 should not be allowed smart phones. My opponent will be arguing that they should be allowed to own smart phones.

There are 4 rounds with 5000 characters limit.

R1 - Acceptance and Definitions.
R2 - Arguments.
R3 - Rebuttals.
R4 - Defence and conclusions.

Definitions [From Merriam-Webster Dictionary] -
-> Smart phone - a cell phone that includes additional software functions (as e-mail or an Internet browser)
-> Cell phone - a portable usually cordless telephone for use in a cellular system.

SirBadgerLock

Con

Good luck my friend, I accept your debate and hope to provide decent reasoning.
Jocularly_Solemn

Pro

I start my argument. Best of luck to my respectable opponent :)

Health Hazards
In today's times, many parents give even their toddlers tablets and smart phones to play with. Now how could these young ones be expected not to be addicted to something even a mature adult gets addicted to? "An interesting experiment conducted by researchers at the Center for Toddler Development at Barnard College, showed that children between 18 to 36 months old, when given an iPad to play with, were so absorbed, that they did not respond to their names." Smart phones cause addiction at any age, the difference lies in the level of maturity of the person. Now the person might become mature at an age earlier than 15, or not become mentally mature even after crossing 20, but the age 15-16 years has been selected by me as an average for when most people tend to become more responsible, i.e. more mature.

AGE 0-5 y/o (toddlers and young kids (brain is in developing phase))
If smart phones become an addiction at an early age, they do more harm than good.
Radiations being at number one. When you are giving that innocent toddler a smart phone, you are actually giving him/her a radiation emitting box of terror. A child's bra
in tissues are more absorbent than an adult's, meaning that the radiations will do more harm to the young kids. Bone marrow of an average child absorbs 10X more radiation than an adult's. And as anyone would know, radiations come with a chance of causing diseases such as cancer.

Brain development is negatively affected.
Substituting physical activities and human interactions with smart phones would never do good, according to the common sense of a sane person. The young kids' brains are developing, they will obviously develop better if they face the physical world themselves, by using their own senses.

The counter argument for this is that their are educational games for the kids, but the use of mobile devices in particular online games should support imaginative play instead of trying to use them as a way to keep children busy, which is normally the case.

AGE 5-10 y/o ( young students)
Hindrance to concentration and focus.
Most people, CAN NOT multitask. Switching between two tasks is something that takes up a lot of energy, especially when the task which needs to be switched from is an addiction. A simple 'ding' for a message can and does shift focus of people (more of kids than adults). An average kid will, after checking the message, engage in online chats, games, etc. for the so called '5 minutes'(which ultimately turn out to be hours) before they realise they have not completed the project they had to submit the next day or did not study for the big test the next day. Though, the only difference this causes is that now they kill time by chatting and playing the games while stressing about what will happen the next day, instead of killing time with a calm mind which they were doing earlier.

Reduced social skills and face to face interaction.
Have you ever read about people who do terrible in interviews and get rejected? Funny stories, eh? This happens mainly because of lack of social skills. And guess what smart phones help in building ? THE LACK OF SOCIAL SKILLS.

The age 5 - 10 involves stuff like brain development, learning social skills, learning important values amongst family and friends, starting to know which field best matches with your interests (Do you love learning? Are you good in athletics? Are you an all rounder?) And again guess what smart phones do? STOP ALL OF THIS IMPORTANT BUSINESS FROM HAPPENING IN THE NATURAL WAY!

AGE 10 - 15 ('Tweenagers')
Apart from the health problems and lack in social skills, the problems which prevail more in this age group are things like increased 'FOMO' (Fear of missing out), sleep disruption, procrastination and increased stress (I had a smart phone for a week when I was in my 'tweens' and I gave
it back myself, because I noticed, IN JUST ONE WEEK, how my life was being affected in a bad way from it!)
The tweenagers have hormonal changes taking place in them. They are naturally more irritable and irrational. Sleeplessness, procrastination, stress DOES NOT help, believe me, rather, these just help to make them more irritable. Moreover, these kids are more likely to be opened up to things they should not be watching or doing (pornography, etc.). They thus waste an important part of life on worthless activities.

Now, the reason most kids get smart phones is because of safety reasons, to be always connected with the parents. But a simple cell phone does exactly the same, help ensure safety without a myriad of disadvantages which a smart phone poses.
Till the age of 15 though, most people have developed to become responsible and have the important values hard wired within. Now they are ready to handle the otherwise 'poisoned chalice' to gain more advantages than the inevitable disadvantages.

*SOURCES WILL BE MENTIONED IN LAST ROUND*

SirBadgerLock

Con

Thank you for a fantastic opening statement, I will proceed to post mine.

[Ages 0-5]
Most of my arguments here will be saved for a rebuttal in my next statement, however I would like to mention that a parent loaning there kids a phone to play games will not have any long term affects.

As long as the parent is managing there kid properly they should be able to coordinate an effective playtime, therefore. Games that stimulate brain activity may be healthy for the kid and could provide some benefits, a phone can also give them a multitude of ways to learn new things and educate themselves more about world events and simplistic problems.

[Ages 5-10]
During this phase of life most kids are not really open to the concept of phones and how important it is, however phones are also valuable tools.

Can a phone function as a calculator or a study guide? Many adults use a smart phone and loan it to there kids in order for them to get a better learning experience, or watch videos and movies. However the main topic here that I would have to pinpoint is "owning" a phone.

Many kids can effectively run a smart phone can can utilize it properly, and most 10 year olds will not attempt to do anything bad with it. Most students at the age are underdeveloped, and the worst that can happen is them simply dialing the number "911" which is a common mistake in flip phones. I can't name more then 5 things that could go wrong that could correlate to a smart phone.

There isn't much to say, a flip phone will be just as effective in a young kid as a smart phone would be. They both can communicate with there parents, and both of them can dial 911 and harm can still be done. Smart phones significant difference is that it can play games, and it can also access the internet. Both of these fundamentals can be blocked or edited heavily by the parent, so the child can still use it at its maximum potential.

There should be almost no restriction by law that kids aged from 10 to 15 may not have a smart phone, almost essential in highschool and harmful in business. Though it is unfortunate that its just a revolving part of the world, now it's a necessary one and people must learn to adapt to it. Phones give more social communication, as groups from websites such as instagram or snapchat will allow teenagers to communicate with there friends effectively. Now you may say that the flip phone can do the exact same thing, but that is where you are wrong.

Flip phones cannot get into applications, and social media is pretty essential for communicating with the school and getting to know people more. Each school generally uses a different application, but it allows students a place to express themselves and allow other kids to learn more about them as well. Cell phones are an out dated model, the texting is sloppy and limiting and also more expensive. While on a smart phone kids can have a broader option to text and show people a more accurate and detailed reflection of who they are.

Instagram can be used to post themselves to boost self esteem, or art to express how they feel, or most importantly, opinions.

All of the things in a smart phone is also available on a computer with a simple web browser, so will you argue that kids aged from 10-15 cannot get into a computer?

Most kids that don't have smart phones just communicate with people less, and are genuinely introverts. Teenagers who lack communication will have lesser options and therefore it may be more difficult to get a hold of them, what will result will be a multitude of missed events and opportunities.

A child that has a phone will not be a social outcast, and will have more social skills as they would get invited to places more often. This will open doors to practice outings with people and to have an enjoyable time, a flip phone can also be used to get a hold of someone, however applications are being seen as the main source of communication. If applications are the main way to communicate, then flip phones for this aspect are essentially useless. As flip phones cant use apps.

This would also be a terrible plan for business, bringing the flip phones back will be more manufacturing cost over something that should be within the families decision, not the law.
Jocularly_Solemn

Pro

Thanks for the argument! :)

Rebuttals :-

"Games that stimulate brain activity may be healthy for the kid and could provide some benefits, a phone can also give them a multitude of ways to learn new things and educate themselves more about world events and simplistic problems."

Smart phones have these options, correct. But there are no better substitutes? WRONG.
Dear opponent, I would like to ask you, how do you think young kids' brains got developed so well before the age of smart phones?
The people from the golden era of scientific development, great philosophers and scientists, did not have smart phones for brain development, did they?
At this tender age, brain development at the cost of health damages, however tiny they might be, is not good. Physical development along with brain development is required. Games like copycat, tickling, kickball, etc. helps the baby's body as well as brain to develop.

"Can a phone function as a calculator or a study guide?"
Kids aged 5-10 don't need calculators. Using the brain to calculate is good for mental development. Calculators, not quite so, but that's a debate for another time.
Study guides. - Laptops exist for that, which can be better guarded for children and they won't be carrying around it with them at all times. Harm from radiation directly relates to time of exposure and distance from body. Smart phones are always kept in a pocket near the body and they are SO very much handy that you can access them anytime, increasing time of exposure. Laptops, on the other hand, not so close to body, and not easy to use whenever you like, you need to sit down, keep the lappy somewhere, then use it.

" I can't name more then 5 things that could go wrong that could correlate to a smart phone."
Here you go -

1) Stiff neck, because you can get into social media so easily that you prefer chatting online than meeting up. You bend your neck downwards to chat for long times. Result - Neck problems.
2) Jeopardising friendships. Seriously? You have never seen people at restaurants just gazing into their phones while eating and rarely talking to their friends or companions? Addiction has it. A study showed that people preferred to talk over chat if they could even if they were face to face.
3) Eye damage - It is commonly understood that the waves from screens cause eye damage.
4) Insomnia - Sleeping is boring, lets chat on facebook or scroll through random pictures on instagram!
5) Makes you stupid.
Using your phone instead of your brain to recall or deduce information could make you mentally lazy, say researchers at the University of Waterloo in Canada.
6) Nomophobia - your phone has died and you have no way of charging it. How are you going to get through the day? What about all the social media updates you're likely to miss? What if something terrible happens and nobody can get hold of you? - NOMOPHOBIA. Stops you from enjoying the world outside that stupid phone.
7) Less physical activity - Spending more and more time on your phone means you spend less and less time on the move.
.

.
.
I could go on, but there is a word limit for this debate, and you get the idea.

" it allows students a place to express themselves and allow other kids to learn more about them as well. "
That would be far better done if these kids were made to meet each other, and know each other by spending time in the real (NOT THE VIRTUAL) world. In these kids' future, interviews, real life problems, meetings, dinner with friends, etc are not going to happen online. They need to know how to socialise, IN REALITY.

"All of the things in a smart phone is also available on a computer with a simple browser, so will you argue that kids aged from 10-15 cannot get into a computer?"
Same response as study guides, under "Can a phone function as a calculator or a study guide?"

"Most kids that don't have smart phones just communicate with people less, and are genuinely introverts."
How does concentrating on the fun with friends during an outing, instead of constantly gazing into the screen make you introvert? Its the opposite for sure though.

" and will have more social skills as they would get invited to places more often. "
Invitations don't inculcate social skills. Most of these kids won't even go due to the fear of being judged for what they are outside the online world. Even if they go, they are most likely to take the phone with them and spend more time on it.

"This would also be a terrible plan for business, bringing the flip phones back will be more manufacturing cost over something that should be within the families decision, not the law."

Children between the ages 0 - 15 don't have any important 'business meetings' as far as I know.

Con present rebuttals now.

Sources -

>http://www.babycentre.co.uk...

>https://www.quora.com...

> http://www.msn.com...
SirBadgerLock

Con

"Radiations being at number one. When you are giving that innocent toddler a smart phone, you are actually giving him/her a radiation emitting box of terror."

Are you not aware that many things in are every day life emit radiation? Processed foods, medical xrays and even air. If you walk outside in an urban environment you will soak in just as much radiation as you would being on your phone. Even are sun gives off MORE radiation than a cell phone, this argument is not concerning as the radiation a cell phone emits is VERY little in comparison to objects in our everyday lives.

http://www.livescience.com...

"Substituting physical activities and human interactions with smart phones would never do good"

Bear in mind that a toddler is between the age of 0 and 5, and toddlers cannot participate in any official sport till the age of 6. Children will also by natural run around and play, the phone will not provide an obstacle for the children if the parents manage it properly. Children can also learn a lot from IPad applications, I work in the special needs department at my school and we give them phones/ipads to give them educational and brain games. This only helps there social interaction and makes them learn something new.

"Most people, CAN NOT multitask. Switching between two tasks is something that takes up a lot of energy, especially when the task which needs to be switched from is an addiction"

Procrastination can be controlled by the parent and its there responsibility to dictate phone time. Banning phone use will negate a lot of opportunities a lot of present day applications use. Education brain games can be crucial and can help a lot of developing kids, as technology if used properly will make people smarter. Books can be used yes, but googling can allow you to scroll through the information faster and become more multi perspective.

http://www.usatoday.com...

"The age 5 - 10 involves stuff like brain development, learning social skills, learning important values amongst family and friends, starting to know which field best matches with your interests "

In the article above the school uses smart phones to help kids with brain stimulating activities, it can also provide benefits to many children as well, as it can help them learn a wider array of topics. Learning important values among family members and friends will come through social interaction. Regardless if you have a phone or not, you will be able to develop social skills as elementary schools will enforce it. Family values do not correlate to whether someone has a phone or not, I actually do not see how you can even find that compatible. Family values should be taught by the family members, and I was able to learn and adapt to my family's expectations even getting a phone at the age of 10.

"AGE 10 - 15 ('Tweenagers')
Apart from the health problems and lack in social skills, the problems which prevail more in this age group are things like increased 'FOMO' (Fear of missing out), sleep disruption, procrastination and increased stress (I had a smart phone for a week when I was in my 'tweens' and I gave it back myself, because I noticed, IN JUST ONE WEEK, how my life was being affected in a bad way from it!) "

So you make the ignorant claim that you threw your phone out because of negative affects and it should be enforced on other individuals? Lets look at any device, a computer. If you're on the computer for to long, the same affects will develop. Being on the computer will disrupt sleep, make you procrastinate and increase your stress. However phones have also debunked my stress because I use it to communicate with friends, talk to family members from faraway lands and use it to learn. A flip phone will prevent you from communicating from long distance relatives as well, unless you want to pay extra money. So are you also saying that teenagers shouldn't have computers?

"Moreover, these kids are more likely to be opened up to things they should not be watching or doing (pornography, etc.). "

I don't know what household you grew up in, but by the age of 14 most parents have responded that it was okay for there children to watch pornography, unless you align yourself with a different religion. It actually has a lot of benefits and can help kids understand what it really is. You may be saying it puts them in a different mindset, but they will be brought into the mindset regardless as teenagers and their surroundings, if you truly dislike that mentality, send your kid to a private school.

http://sexuality.about.com...

In your last argument, I will state that a simple flip phone will be bad for business. No one wants to manufacture them and its a waste of money, all in all a cell phone an is unconstitutional and should be left by the parent.

I will conclude there
Jocularly_Solemn

Pro

This round is ONLY for defence and conclusions.

1)"Are you not aware that many things in are every day life emit radiation?"
How many of those things do you carry with yourself which are constantly in contact with your body, with just some clothe layers in between? X rays are harmful for the body to some extent. Air won't have so much radiation, it will be basically negligible. The sun gives of way more radiation than a phone. Absolutely right. But all of that radiation doest not reach to us. It is a small fraction. And even that fraction does harm like SKIN CANCER if you spend too long in it, GUESS WHAT A DEVICE IN YOUR BREAST POCKET CONSTANTLY EMITING RADIATIONS BECAUSE IT HAS TO CONNECT TO THE TOWERS AND WIFI AND WHAT NOT WILL DO.
2) "toddlers cannot participate in any official sport till the age of 6"
Physical development doesn't need 'official' games. It requires baby games like tickling the kid, exercising his body, etc. And why did you choose the age 6? Official means - "having the approval or authorization of an authority or public body" The games little kids play are not unofficial. They are not offending anyone by playing copycat with their parents.
"Children will also by natural run around and play, the phone will not provide an obstacle for the children if the parents manage it properly" They won't sit all day with the phones. But something like a smart phone is addictive for a small kid. Who hasn't seen videos on youtube, of adorable babies playing on a smart phone, and when it is taken from them, they start crying. Brain development at childhood is not SUCH a big problem that something like a smart phone is needed to help. Babies' brains used to develop just as well when smart phones were not given away so carelessly to them, assuming that it is 'helping'.

3) "Procrastination can be controlled by the parent and its there responsibility to dictate phone time."
Easier said than done. When it comes to young teenagers, they can just sneak the smart phone out at night. Even if parents give a fixed time, it's hard for me to believe that more than 10% of those people at an age that humans tend to be the most stubborn at, will follow it. It is also not efficient for the parents to keep a check on the kid ALL the time since they have their own lives to deal with too.

4) "Books can be used yes, but googling can allow you to scroll through the information faster and become more multi perspective."
Know about the Google effect?
The Google effect, also called digital amnesia, is the tendency to forget information that can be found readily online. According to the first study about the Google effect people are less likely to remember certain details they believe will be accessible online.
Now this might sound okay-ish to you, but to me, it sounds pretty bad. It is just dampening, or more suitably, destroying the brain's capabilities. Your brain thinks, "I can look this up the internet without wasting much energy, no need to remember it then" And, a student should not be dealing with such a problem. It will interfere with performance at school. And even in their future, they might be in one of the vast list of jobs that require you to remember many things, from school, from recent affairs, etc. Looking it up the internet every time would be highly inefficient, the brain has to be trained to do good, not be lazy.

5)Writing down to practice and reading from a book is the safest way to study. The apps are designed to help, not to be depended upon.

6)"So you make the ignorant claim that you threw your phone out because of negative affects and it should be enforced on other individuals?"
Quoting an incident does not mean trying to enforce it on others according to my senses.

"Lets look at any device, a computer" " So are you also saying that teenagers shouldn't have computers?"
If you read my rebuttals, you should know I already have talked why computers are better than phones and won't cause as much harm. It is quite easy to understand why spending (wasting) loads of time on a small lightweight phone is far easier than on a relatively large computer.

7)"by the age of 14 most parents have responded that it was okay for there children to watch pornography"
Okay this 'fact' is completely absurd. Everything from 'by the age of 14' to 'MOST parents' sounds a bit too farfetched. The source you mentioned speaks about effects of pornography on a couple. We are most definitely NOT talking about effects of porn on relationships here.
Most parents would not want their kids to be watching such a thing, because - They are too naive and can get themselves into trouble. Once you are legal age, then you decide whether you want something like that, or stay a good 100 feet away. But we are talking about people less than 16 y/o.

8)"I will state that a simple flip phone will be bad for business" The debate topic is whether children should be allowed smart phones or not, NOT how it affects business of the sellers.

So, smartphones are bad for kids
SirBadgerLock

Con

"Smart phones have these options, correct. But there are no better substitutes? WRONG. "
A smartphone will not intervene with a child playing a sport, a child will still go outside with his or her friends. As I said before, there are many applications that will help brain development, a special needs kid that has used these applications has shown major improvement in comparison to kids that don't. From personal experience I can conclude that a phone if used properly can actually help a child drastically.

"Kids aged 5-10 don't need calculators. Using the brain to calculate is good for mental development. Calculators, not quite so."

So if a child had a mental disability or dyslexia where they couldn't see the equations properly, you're saying that they shouldn't have additional tools available for them? Or a kid struggling, a calculator is a strong mathematical tool that gives every a broader range of what they're doing. If a kid is struggling a math the calculator is a vital tool for understanding.

"Harm from radiation directly relates to time of exposure and distance from body."

This radiation argument is completely untrue, as phones do emit radiation the power of the sun can burn the skin to the point where you do develop cancer.

"Study guides. - Laptops exist for that,"

Which is contradictory, you're saying that phones are addicting, perhaps you should look at another addicting thing that correlates to laptops. Video games, how can you say a phone is addicting and ruins relationships when video games are considered to be a further concern. On a laptop you can access pornography as well, you say that kids shouldn't have phones and use laptops instead. When a laptop can literally do the same exact thing a phone could and also has a few more implements that are considered addictive, a kid going to school would also have the burden of carrying the laptop in there bag. Can you tell me something the phone can do that the laptop can't? If the answer strays away from "calling" and "texting" i'd be impressed.

"That would be far better done if these kids were made to meet each other, and know each other by spending time in the real (NOT THE VIRTUAL) world."

Most of the time calling and texting and communication through social media groups are a primary source for party invitations and event notification. I know when something is going on through a notified instagram group chat or a face book group message. Phones are generally used to allow a gateway for these social events, and allows a great way to communicate. Based on personal experience, I have had a friend who didn't have a smart phone, and we'd organize things through a group chat on a social media app. These made it so he wasn't notified and it only made him less open to future social organizations because he couldn't get to us. I could easily argue that I have been even more social because things that go on are more prevalent to me.

"How does concentrating on the fun with friends during an outing, instead of constantly gazing into the screen make you introvert? Its the opposite for sure though. "

However most of the time people go through there phone when they are in a bus or car, or in an environment when they are bored. In a date they may do it on occasion, but introversion is on the basis of not wanting to talk to people. Smart phones notify people of what is going on. In a study conducted it actually stated that extroverts are more likely to become addicted to there smart phones.

http://www.rawstory.com...

It's due to them actually being socially active, a student who is introverted cannot nor do they want to communicate with a broad group of people. You may be misinformed as well, it's nice to concentrate on friends during an outing, but most people don't whip out there phones and just browse through it when they are with a group of friends. Unless they are sitting down, but they may also be posting something on snapchat or instagram where they can share there experience with everyone else. And if someone wants to browse there phone and be an introvert, so what? It may give them a release from the real world and get there minds off of things.

"Invitations don't inculcate social skills. Most of these kids won't even go due to the fear of being judged for what they are outside the online world. Even if they go, they are most likely to take the phone with them and spend more time on it."

If they spend time on there phone then that is entirely okay, as its a good way to escape from an awkward situation. But as I said many times before, it's a way to open gateways to be more social. Most kids who are extroverted WILL pick up to social invitations.

In conclusion, kids who do not have phones will be more secluded. It's healthy to develop social skills but phones won't intervene with that. Group chats will notify gateways, where kids can be more social and happy.
Posted by SirBadgerLock 1 year ago
SirBadgerLock
Great debate, was a lot of fun.
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
their* xD
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
Haha, everyone's gotta have there own views, but hey, I could use a compliment once in a while ;) Thanks.
Posted by Teen_driven_crazy2 1 year ago
Teen_driven_crazy2
This was a great debate you two. I still agree with the contenders argument, but @Jocularly_Solemn made an excellent argument and I, personally, am going to try to use my iPod less.
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
Just politely asking, did you even read through my sources? I addressed why Lagos are not as bad as phone two times. And why are you talking about special needs kids only? Smartphones are better for them than normal kids but the debate is not about special needs kids...Though it can be a side note or a supportive point, but u have kind of used it as a main point is some places. Anyways thanks again for the debate :)
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
I thank my opponent for accepting and presenting nice arguments. Thanks to anyone in advance for voting. ^_^
Posted by SirBadgerLock 1 year ago
SirBadgerLock
so you're going to post an argument and expect me to respond under such a short notice, it will be done by today. Perhaps put shorter time limits.
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
Please try to complete this as fast as you can, it would be a great help
Posted by Jocularly_Solemn 1 year ago
Jocularly_Solemn
Hey, read my first comment, "Please don't take part in this debate unless you can finish this in 4-5 days maximum. Thank you! :)" (-_-)
Posted by SirBadgerLock 1 year ago
SirBadgerLock
My argument will be posted after I get back from my classes, I have it typed up I just want to edit it