soxcal95
Yraelz

Children being tried as adults (please give all thoughts and opinions)

Con Tied Pro

soxcal95

Con

If a child is mature enough to commit a very serious adult crime then they should be mature enough to handle an adult trial. The bottom line is that if you do the crime then you do the time, simple as that. But it's not that simple kids are not mentally ready to be tried as an adult because they aren't an adult. Children should not even be tried as adults because then they don't even have a chance of being rehabilitated. They are not mature so they deserve a shot at rehabilitation. A 1996 study showed that youth transferred to adult court in Florida were three times more likely to repeat a crime than those sent to the juvenile justice system for the same crime and with similar prior records. Obviously juvenile detentions are more efficient of rehabilitating then sending a child to jail. Also the youth that had been sent to an adult court rather a juvenile court repeated crimes at twice the rate. And right now you might be thinking how an adult jail would make a child less overcome of their crimes than juvenile detention centers is be cause youth in Florida prisons are nearly 21 times as likely to report being assaulted or injured as teens in the juvenile justice system. Also nationally, children in adult jails and prisons are 5 times more likely to be sexually assaulted, twice as likely to be beaten by staff, and 50% more likely to be attacked with a weapon than youths sent to juvenile justice system. I hope you now understand why children should not be tried as adults.
Yraelz

Pro

Alright, two prong attack.

A. The idea that someone becomes mature at the age of 18 is completely and utterly ludicrous. Some people are going to be mature by the age of 12, others will not be mature until 30 or above. Thus under my opponents idea some children do deserve to be tried as adults.

B. A viable alternative that solves for the problems in my opponents case. The United States jail system should be scraped in favor of a rehabilitation system. The focus of which will be on making criminals into decent members of society. Thus under the revamped system children being tried as adults is perfectly acceptable, in fact this rehabilitation system will simply have one category of "people".
soxcal95

Con

soxcal95 forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Pro

Extend my arguments, I have nothing special to say at this point.

100 characters are my friends, we all follow the latest trends!
soxcal95

Con

soxcal95 forfeited this round.
Yraelz

Pro

Nothing to say, extend my arguments. Thanks for the interesting debate topic I suppose. 100 characters!
Posted by realistic 9 years ago
realistic
i'm interested in how things could go further. this topic could be and has been debated round and round all over for years. because its complex I don't think the five round limit would be enough.

I've always felt that debate shouldn't be about winning or losing but about moving toward a truth.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
Sure, then I'm a sissy.

Manning up is rarely ever a smart thing to do.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
As in, taking on debates just because you think you have a better chance at winning them (due to the nature of the resolution) is lame.

1. Nobody cares what Solarman or Shwayze have to say.

2. Don't stress out over your win percentage. Not only is it not worth it (it's not like you win anything lol), it's also just bound to stress you out. People down-vote on this site all the time. Voting is unfair. Make one comment a little too snippy, and you'll have 3 members vote against you on all of your debates in an instant. Get yourself a super high win percentage, and people will vote against you just because. I've actually had several people comment on my debates that they voted against me simply because I was doing so well. So, I suggest you just get over it and move on. This website is all in good fun. People know the deal around here -- I doubt anyone will hold your win percentage against you so long as you're a decent debater. Perfect example: Paradigm_Lost.

3. If you don't think this guy could put up a decent fight, take him on and prove it. Regardless of reader's personal opinions, you can still make him look foolish if you dominate the debate. Plus, interested readers like myself appreciate quality disussion - not automatic voting based on silly assumptions.

4. We've all got better things to do than be on debate.org :P

5. As in, Sissy.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
I'm not takin it for several reasons.

- I am not going to intentionally do things that will get the too-ignorant-to-be-funny SolarMan and Shwayze to come here to throw more crap at me. Although it's funny every instance they do it, I just do not have the time for such low-quality humor at this time.

- I like my current win percentage, thanks. There are already quite a few people that hate me already and I'd like to keep my numbers above 50.00%. Just to let you know, when I was debating RoyceGee, my win percentage went from the 80's to a 40 something percent. I'm SUUURRREEE it was JUST A COINCIDENCE. But what that guy does is fine with me. I'm not gonna sink to the level of haters.

- It doesn't look like this guy will put up much of a fight against my points, with all due respect. He'd probably just put up "common sense" stuff. And when you attack common sense, you lose. And I like my win percentage.

- I have an AP test to study for.

- I'd rather laugh at something than stress out over it. As in, I'd rather watch than debate.
Posted by Danielle 9 years ago
Danielle
Korezaan, if you disagree, why not man up and take on the debate? Although to be honest I'd be interested to hear Yraelz's take on this in particular :P He'll probably pull something like "What if the person is 17 and 3 quarters" lol I dunno.

To Con (soxcal) - you should have been more specific in R1. For instance are you talking about 17 year olds being tried as adults? Or 7 year olds? If you think that age doesn't matter so long as one is under 18, that should have been included. You also could have further discussed the nature of the crimes...

In any event, I look forward to reading this one :)
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
If this still stands tomorrow and I am not swamped then I will take this.
Posted by Theomega 9 years ago
Theomega
I look forward to the debate because its rediculous that children can be tried as adults. Good luck.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
So why exactly should we not rehabilitate adults? Do they suddenly deserve less of a chance to redeem themselves than children?

Oh, and how can YOU say that children don't know right from wrong? Are you discriminating based on age?
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
soxcal95YraelzTied
Vote Placed by Yraelz 8 years ago
Yraelz
soxcal95YraelzTied
Vote Placed by jiffy 9 years ago
jiffy
soxcal95YraelzTied
Vote Placed by sillycow 9 years ago
sillycow
soxcal95YraelzTied
Vote Placed by JoshuaWright 9 years ago
JoshuaWright
soxcal95YraelzTied