KJVPrewrather
AaronTanKY

Children have the right to freedom of religion.

AaronTanKY has forfeited round #4.

KJVPrewrather

Pro

I started looking for God when I was 10, and found Yeshua when I was 15. I believe the First Amendment protects my rights.
AaronTanKY

Con

Hi KJV!

I do want to start off by stating that I respect your take on this issue and am in no way trying to sway you into believing what I'm proposing. Simply put, I would just like to take this opportunity to present my doubts and opinions regarding this matter to the audience and engage in meaningful discourse. Let's start!

First off, the definition of the word "children" should be explicitly stated out so as to avoid further confusion later on into the debate (or discussion). According to The United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, a child is a human being under the age of 18 and this, in current societal convention, is a perfectly acceptable and even internationally recognized definition. This is where I will introduce my first substantive.

Based on the definition that a "child" can be of any age below that of 18, I feel that not all children should have to right to the freedom of religion. This is because below the age of 18, most children aren't fully cognizant of the consequential impacts and the significance of their choices. The ignorance of children is recognized by countries all over the world and thus, it is common practice for governments to set legal ages for activities that require maturity such as voting, driving, and drinking alcohol (although it may be true that adults, at times, still make the wrong choices). Now, you might proceed to question: How is the act of choosing a religion a consequential one, or one that requires intellectual maturity? Before answering that question, let me take a step back. Religion in our current day and age is an extremely contentious topic due to the emergence of terrorist groups with radical (and more often than not, skewed) religious beliefs or philosophies. The most prominent example is that of ISIS, a group which believes in the ultra-puritanical interpretation of Islam and thus has an unconventional way of carrying out its duties. From this example, it can be said that the choice of religion can have significant impact on the future of an individual (not saying that any form of religion is necessarily "bad", this can be left for another debate). Therefore, returning back to the question, the choice of religion is indeed a decision which requires sufficient maturity and understanding of various religions as it affects the future of an individual.

So, what is my take on this issue? I feel that the decision of religion should only be made official when a person is of age (18 years old) to, in society's eyes, make mature choices.

P.S. Religion is a contentious issue and I'm terribly sorry if my argument in any way offended you!
KJVPrewrather

Pro

When I was 15, I was mentally able to choose my religion. I feel personally that I had the right to do so, and am blessed to have a good mother who prays for me?
AaronTanKY

Con

The question isn't all too specific on what the word "children" means but most people would agree that it means people under 18 years of age. Although it is true that children like you at age 15 might be able exercise this right to religion responsibly, it is important to recognize that not all can do so. However, I do see your point and feel that instead of having a blanketing statement that "children have the right to freedom of religion", there should be a few conditions pre-set. For example, attaining parental approval etc. If there were such conditions in place, even if ones parents/guardians were to disagree with the children's choice of religion, then he/she can change his/her religion after the legal age of 18. Therefore, I agree that children can have a choice of religion although they should not be entirely free to do so.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

I was able to choose my religion when I was 15, so why should I have been denied my rights? It is between me and Yeshua what I do. I am not causing any harm to self or others. How old are you?
AaronTanKY

Con

In my personal opinion, you were lucky to have chosen the right religion which will accompany throughout your lives and cause no harm to anyone, self or others. But we must recognize that there are impressionable juveniles out there in the world who will get heavily influenced by what they see online, be it good or bad.
KJVPrewrather

Pro

I do agree. I am mostly arguing for the 15+ crowd, but if someone told me not to be a Christian, I would peacefully disobey the law. Look, I want everyone to believe as I do, but I don't force the issue, because that is like sharia law from a Christian. I just present the information, and it is between individuals and the Holy Spirit. The First Amendment applies imho to anyone who understands good and evil. I could have chosen Yeshua when I was 5, but it was not my time yet.
Posted by judaism 5 months ago
judaism
KJV, why haven't you ever bothered to respond to my arguments against Jesus as G-d? Everyone, you can view them here:

https://docs.google.com...

I am still waiting for her response, furthermore, I challenge any Christian to refute them.

Shalom, find peace friends.
Posted by John_C_1812 5 months ago
John_C_1812
We have religious liberty in the pursuit of happiness. Not freedom.

The first Amendment does not alienate those rights Granted to the people and United States Constitution by the declaration of independence. A freedom of religion in Amendment form of United States Constitution is describing an exposure to religions which form without structure of self-value or cost in any society, these type religions may be placed before impartial separated by Constitutional law as test to the general welfare.

The right of new religion is actual obtained in the United States declaration of Independence, and not United States Constitution. So there is reason to legally challenge anyone belief or faith in Amendment. It is the United States Constitutional right that protect you"re your civil liberties from your right of independence. Right can be seen as something that is not wrong in basic principle, or legal precedent.
The pivot point in precedent is in a law which can be offsets as it can be proven wrong by principle when weighted against the independent civil liberty of happiness.

If that can make senses?
Posted by vi_spex 5 months ago
vi_spex
you didnt find anything.. but i am all for religious freedom
Posted by backwardseden 5 months ago
backwardseden
Absolutely yes. god of the bible absolutely 100% no. Not ever. And the bible should never be read to children.
- Atheist debates get em while they"re young
Now I like and respect the owner of this debate, but there's clear and concise evidence and verses in the bible, which in no possible way are taken out of context, showing this god clearly hates children. Out of respect for her, I will not list them.
Posted by warren42 5 months ago
warren42
You should word this better. As is, it's a truism. Children cannot be persecuted by the state for exercising a religion of their choosing. I assume what you're referring to is how parents often dictate their children's religious beliefs, encouraging some while discouraging others. You should change the resolution to more accurately reflect that.
Posted by Actions_Speak 5 months ago
Actions_Speak
I know from experience they literally don't (but should).
Posted by Debatwinnerpro 5 months ago
Debatwinnerpro
ofc they do