debate777
raissaguldam_cassiopeia

Children having 30 min. of exercise

debate777

Pro

As we all know, many states, including the state of Florida, has not yet demanded that students should have 30 min. of exercise. As I walk around my school, I see many students who are unhealthy and can't stand to even run 1/4 of a lap! This is outrageous! My principal says, quote, "the students get their 30 min. of exercise walking to their lunch period, etc." I couldn't believe it! The principal, saying such untrue words! Usually, each class only leaves their classrooms 3 times a day, which, if you do the math, should not equal 10 min. to get to your destination!

I live in Florida, and we Floridans like to see fit people. Some of the children here weigh 107 pounds, and are about 4'10, which is over what their weight should be, no matter what age they are! I personally believe that for a child to live a healthier and better life, they need to be happy. But how can a child be healthy with NO exercise and a ton on their shoulders?
raissaguldam_cassiopeia

Con

first of all..your proposition is not specified..it's too broad and there is no parameter..however..i would like to have a debate that's why i accepted this..

YOu were saying that children should be having 30 min. exercise..I agree to that, however I need to oppose...quite ironic huh??.ehhe

I disagree with what you said.I think your principal was right. Student can get enough exercise by walking.And that 30 minutes you are proposing will just waste their time. Besides, you cannot force the student to do this. They have their own minds and initiatives. And I'm sure that most of the students will disagree with your side becasue they will just think of this as a time-consuming activity.And how can you say that they are not getting enough exercise?>>
debate777

Pro

First of all, I can tell you that in many schools in the western part of Florida that the kids here DO want exercise because I hear them saying that they want to protest not having enough recess, or gym (and many schools here don't have gyms, and most schools here can afford one)!

Furthermore, many of the adults want their kids to have 30 min. of exercise in Florida, and many other states, as well!

Lastly, all I have to say is that students who like recess will PROBABLY agree with me because as I proposed earlier, recess is a type of exercise, too!
raissaguldam_cassiopeia

Con

First of all, in a debate..if you presented facts or anything..you should have a proof..

The 30 minutes of exercise you aree proposing can only affect the studies of the students.

IN this proposition of yours,student, instead of studying or reading, will only waste their time of exercising. In which they can still do their exercising while physical education (PE) time.

(Also, if you are saying that if all people would agree to you..then your proposition would not be debatable.)..Thus, I'm here arguing with you.

that's all..

Paz!
debate777

Pro

Here are a few facts about recess and P.E. that you need to realize-

1.)How can you say that exercise will affect the studies of students if, in fact, the average school day lasts 6 � to 7 hours, in which they have plenty of hours to learn? The only thing that will be affected is their health!

2.)The percentage of high school students enrolled in P.E. from 1991 to 2003 plummeted from 42% to 28%. So how can you get all of the exercise you need in P.E. classes, if nobody is taking it?

3.)Rhonda Clements, former president of the American Association for the Child's Right to Play (AACRP), said, " In one e-mail and one call after another, the parents say their children are depressed because of being inside all day long.". Depression and stress can weaken the immune system causing kids to miss school or not be focused in class. Exercise gives kids the opportunity to have a mental break from school work and help relief those symptoms.

4.)An estimated 26% of P.E. classes in the U.S. fail to comply with state regulations. In today's P.E. classes, students "watch" sports movies, but never "participate" in a sport! Do you believe for one second that we are going to get super athletes like Magic Johnson or Tom Brady based on the way P.E. classes are being taught by some schools?

5.)The President's Council on Physical Education and Sports, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Education, the National Association of State Boards of Education, and the American Academy of Pediatrics ALL believe that we should have more P.E. classes. Isn't it better to listen to organizations working with children's health issues rather than listening to people who are not concerned with children's health?

6.)Research has NEVER suggested that recess is bad when it is used to allow kids to relieve stress. In many cases, not only do kids need a break but, the teachers who have dedicated their life to helping children succeed, also need a "mental health break".

7.)Research DOES suggest that recess can play a role in vital motor skills, such as learning, social development, and the health of elementary students! I dare you to try and tell me that's a bad thing...

----
Sources: Hoover Institution--Not Your Father's PE (John Cawley)
The New York Times --Before Children Ask, "What's Recess?" (Debra
Nussbaum)
raissaguldam_cassiopeia

Con

hi

uhm,in the first place..i didn't say that recess is bad..

secondly,.you're arguments were nice but was presented too late..in this part..you should just have concluded and not presented any fact..

now, to conclude this debate..i would say that children don't have to take this 30 minute of exercise my co-debater is proposing, instead they can just study their lesson. And to take this exercise, they can just have their P.E. classes in school.

That's all.

I think you should win this debate~!
Posted by Debater2008 9 years ago
Debater2008
I do think kids need more excercise. There are sooo many obese kids these days. Its not good for their health or self-esteem. Something needs to be done. Most of them probably want to do something about it, but are too lazy. That is why they need to be pushed harder; by parents, school, whatever!
Posted by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
I agree with bamadebater. P.E. exercise is too formulated and also requires more skill than some students have; I don't play games a lot times in gym because I'm not good at them. With recess kids are able to pick what game they want, and playing with friends is much more fun.
Posted by bamadebater 9 years ago
bamadebater
The students don't want exercise they want things like recess where they get exercise but don't even realize it. Parents and teachers also want this because running around makes a child more tired and less hyper. But feeding a child healthier foods than the 3 twinkies before dinner some of these kids receive could also do the same thing. ANd some of the cafeteria food now...dont' even get me started.
Posted by Stoogy 9 years ago
Stoogy
if all these students and parents want exercise why dont they do it on the weekend or something? i never enjoyed running in p.e. and i especially didnt like not only being forced to do it, but graded! ugh!!!
Posted by bamadebater 9 years ago
bamadebater
I agree with the fact that healthier foods would do a lot to help with the overweight problems that a lot of kids face now. The same administrators and teachers and parents that say their kids need more exercise are the same ones giving these kids sweets and other fatty foods at home. Kids should be made to get off their butts from playing the Wii or whatever other game console they have and made to exercise. Teachers want these kids to get out and have recess not because it gives them exercise and because they are worried about their health but because keeping kids inside all day means their job is more work because the kids are hyper. GASP! Another solution: If you give kids healthier foods with less sugar they are also LESS HYPER! GROUNDBREAKING NEWS!!

As far as the debate above went I agree with the Pro mainly because she did the better debating. However, when stating facts like you did in a formal debate you should site where you received your information from.
Posted by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
I think having tests and sit-down-take-notes lessons in gym (and I have had these) are ridiculous. That's what Health class is for; gym is where you actually get exercise. If we played fun games like dodgeball or steal the flag more often I'd probably participate a lot more than I do.
Posted by Advidoct 9 years ago
Advidoct
I know what you mean

It makes actually mad to see people, especially young people, complain about how much they hate themselves while they endulge on a bag of potato chips.

Schools need to take more action. "Healthier" meals and snacks aren't gunna solve the problem. You can cut the intake of calories all you want, but if the kids aren't burning off any calories, they aren't losing weight.
PE needs to be more than sitting on the bleachers. Kids need to learn about Physical Fitness and they need to learn it by doing. It'll help them develop better exercise habits and ultimately, give them happier and longer lives.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
*GASP*

30 min. of excercise in their WHOLE LIVES?!

Just kidding...I know what you mean...but its sort of a vague header
Vote Placed by devinni01841 6 years ago
devinni01841
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by Debater2008 9 years ago
Debater2008
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by tarsjake 9 years ago
tarsjake
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by Stoogy 9 years ago
Stoogy
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied
Vote Placed by raissaguldam_cassiopeia 9 years ago
raissaguldam_cassiopeia
debate777raissaguldam_cassiopeiaTied