eb904
dunc22

Children learn better using positive enforcement

eb904

Pro

Children learn better using positive enforcement, whereas negative enforcement can leave a child emotionally (hopefully not physically) damaged. Also when children feel pressured, the quality of their schoolwork is likely to decline. Even with sports, with an angry parent yelling at their kid whenever they don't make a shot, they can feel overly pressured and unloved my their parents, which would probably lead to the child acting out in ways like bullying other kids, or detaching from school emotionally. Thank you to whoever challenges me, I need some practice with debating :). I don't want any sort of hate speech from the other person please, this is meant to be a way of peacefully arguing about things. And please please please don't just argue about useless things! Or forfeit for no apparent reason! First round is stating reasons, second third and fourth is all for debating. Good luck :)
dunc22

Con

Lets me start of by saying that by negative reinforcement i do not mean in any way to abuse the child.

Now to my arguments

If my mother tells me when I am a child not to touch the stove its hot and i could get hurt that is using positive reinforcement to teach me a lesson however as i stated I am a child and children are curious creatures so I might just go and touch the stove and once i feel the pain from touching the stove (negative) I now know first hand the conciquences of touching a hot stove and never to touch the hot stove again; the point being brought more strongly from the negative enforcement of the situation is my point.

Now of course too much negative enforcement can leave a child damaged, every one needs to know that there are people who love them however too much positive enforcement is also a bad thing as it not only takes away experience from life but can also leave your child socially awkward or undisciplined (assuming you using positive reinforcement to teach you kids right and wrong things to do)

What i am saying is that there is a healthy balance in the two and certain situations call for certian forms of enforcement

Yhank you for this topic proposing I look forward t reading your response
eb904

Pro

Well that is ver true, and I do agree that children learn from their mistakes, that is how we all learn best. But I think you misunderstood what I mean by "negative reinforcement", I meant instead of talking to your child about an issue, yelling at them. Or instead of rewarding a student for a minor achievement, punishing the student for a mistake with ridicule or a spanking. I actually agree that the level of negative reinforcement you are talking about is probably even necessary in a child's learning, but I'm not thinking of that level. I'm thinking more, old school teaching methods (that sadly some schools and parents still use).
dunc22

Con

Ah I see my mistake but it still applies when a child is misbehaving simply talking to the child may sometimes work but most of the time when dealing with children to really get the point across you sometimes almost have to yell at them or use negative reinforcement. unfortunately its hard to provide evidence for this other than first hand experience which i cannot source.
so all i can say is that certain actions call for appropriate consequences depending on if a child is doing what he knows to be wrong
eb904

Pro

eb904 forfeited this round.
dunc22

Con

dunc22 forfeited this round.
eb904

Pro

eb904 forfeited this round.
dunc22

Con

dunc22 forfeited this round.
Posted by eb904 3 years ago
eb904
I'm so sorry to my opponent that I forfeited that round, it wasn't intentional! I think it automatically did that because I didn't log in, and I wasn't getting the emails that said that it was my turn. Yet again, so sorry!
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
Technically speaking, you're both talking about "punishment," not negative reinforcement. http://psychology.about.com...
Negative reinforcement can actually be a positive thing: it means removing an unwanted outcome for certain behavior.