gamemaster
JacobPearson

Children should be stoned to death if they disobey their parents.

gamemaster

Pro

Hi. The resolution is simple. I claim that children should be stoned to death if they disobey their parents.

My argument is based on the most powerful source of Truth in the whole Universe: The Holy Bible.

1) Look what Deuteronomy 21:18-21 says: 'If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not listen to the voice of his father or his mother even when they punish him his father and mother must take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elThey shall say to the elders, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a
drunkard. All the men of the town must then stone him to death. You must banish this evil from among you.

2) We know that the Holy Bible cannot be something else then Truth because God is all knowing and all powerful and he cannot lie. Therefore, what Deuteronomy says in the bible must be true.

3) Even more logical, The Bible is God's Word, and we know that because the Bible says so.

Conclusion: Children who disobey their parents must be stoned.

Source : Holy Bibel. http://www.holybible.com...
JacobPearson

Con

The argument that children should be killed for disobeying their parents is quite frankly absurd. Even the strictest of parents would disagree that disobedience (however that can be defined) warrants death.

Saying that the murder of children is acceptable due to them breaking entirely arbitrary "rules" set by the parents (who are supposed to look after their children), then justifying it on a scripture written thousands of years ago, is only going to change society for the worse. For what defines disobedience? A child refusing to eat something they don't like? My opponent think that warrants death? Even children saying the most insulting things possible to their parents does not mean that they should be punished by death. Where do the parents get the authority from? They are just adults with a blood link to the children. Where does the bible get its authority from, and why should society change all current laws and traditions in order to satisfy some insane ramblings in a book? The idea that the stoning of children for disobedience because the bible says so is just another way of forcing religious beliefs upon young children who have no way to think otherwise.

I'm not going to turn this into a religious debate, but there is no proof for the existence of God. No logical proof at all. The murder of children based on this illogical fantasy, I'm sure, would not be accepted by 99.9% of the population.

I look forward to my opponent's argument.
gamemaster

Pro

The argument is not absurd because it comes from the most important book in the history of the world - The Holy Bible.
A true christian must live by the teachings of God as they are instructed in the Bible. And the people who reject God's authority and talk blasphemously about the Holey Bible risk burning in Hell for all eternity so you should be careful what you say in this debate.

"justifying it on a scripture written thousands of years ago"
It is irrelevant when something is written, the age of a thing implies nothing about it's value.

"is only going to change society for the worse".
This only your opinion. God has different opinion or else he wouldn't have ordered us to stone the evil children to death. And between you and me.. if I have to choose between your opinion or God's opinion, I think I'll take my chances with the creator of the univers, thanks.

Even more powerful argument, it doesn't even matter if the change would be for the worse, because we must listen to God's teachings regardless of their impact on our petty little lives.

"Where does the bible get its authority from, and why should society change all current laws and traditions in order to satisfy some insane ramblings in a book?"
How dare you speak such blasphemies? The bible takes it's authority from God. And God is the Only authority for us to obey

Studies show that the countries where people are religious and listen to God are more advanced in terms of social order, less criminality rate, less rapes and abuse and perversity, less homosexuals. So it is logical to assume that if all laws and traditions would be adjusted so that they conform to the bibel , the society as a whole would benefit greatly.

"the bible says so is just another way of forcing religious beliefs upon young children"

Since when saving a children's soul so that he doesn't burn in Hell forever means forcing beliefs on him? Regardless, it's nothing wrong with forcing Bible on sinners.
JacobPearson

Con

Unfortunately I am not a true Christian, but I doubt many of them would be too pleased with this either, what with that commandment banning killing. I know what an eternal hell is like - I live in Scotland. But the fact that the age of a text does nothing to its value, I will now ask my opponent to concede to this term: witches and wizards are real, because it says so in the Harry Potter books.

May I ask what people will do when they refuse to take the authority of your "God"? I'll hope you assume that all people are born atheists. Take a baby of 1 week old and put it on a desert island (ignore that it will die without care for arguments sake) and it will not baptize itself. It will not give itself holy communion by the time it is 10, nor will it throw on a black robe and a yarmulke.

"Studies show that the countries where people are religious and listen to God are more advanced in terms of social order, less criminality rate, less rapes and abuse and perversity, less homosexuals. So it is logical to assume that if all laws and traditions would be adjusted so that they conform to the bibel , the society as a whole would benefit greatly."
I'll assume you mean countries such as Saudi Arabia, where there is, of course, less crime, because being gay constitutes a crime and carries the death penalty, and the religious police regularly beat women who speak when they are not allowed to. All in the name of blind obedience to a man in the sky that cannot logically be proven.

Also, the oldest Abrahamic religion in the world - Judaism - doesn't have a "hell", so your argument is null considering that the bible and Christianity was based entirely upon this religion.

My argument stands that breaking some arbitrary "rules" does not warrant death.
Posted by tron123 3 years ago
tron123
Records indicate no rebellious son was ever put to death under this law. Every father elected to spare his own son, no matter how sinful the son might have been. Only Christ, the perfectly obedient Son (John 8:29;17:4) was not spared (Romans 8:32).

Source:

KJV Defenders Study Bible, by Dr. Henry Morris, Ph.D.

i totally disagree with gamemaster the instigator here and im a christian. i think wat she is saying isnt thought out all the way. i think the "killing child" thing is symbolism for just punsihing them. and god says that noone should be able to take lives except for god. so take that gamemaster instigator
Posted by Zabcheckmate 3 years ago
Zabcheckmate
This comment is the word of God, so if you disagree with this comment you're wrong. How do you know this comment is the word of God? BECAUSE THIS COMMENT SAYS SO!
Posted by Zerglingleader 3 years ago
Zerglingleader
I refuse to believe there are people out there who really believe this. I smell a troll...
Posted by mephisto 3 years ago
mephisto
the bible might be an important book of truth and knowledge for many people in the world, however; it cannot be termed as a "universal truth" on account of the fact that there are several other religions in the world, most of which have their own religious books.
thus, your argument is based on something which is neither ratified by a world community nor is accepted by everyone.
your argument thus, is null and void
Posted by dashdustrider 4 years ago
dashdustrider
you can't use the bible as a source
Posted by m93samman 4 years ago
m93samman
@GameMaster: The bible is "The most important book in the history of the world"? Really now? Hahaha. Which one?
Posted by Atheism 4 years ago
Atheism
Yea, i know, that's why we moved... To Georgia...-fail-
Posted by Kinesis 4 years ago
Kinesis
'Yes, my used to be neighbors when I lived in Florida. They wanted to kill their children because they said the Bible told them to if the children were bad. We called social security, and now the children are safe from their parents, hopefully.'

Good Lord, seriously?
Posted by InsertNameHere 4 years ago
InsertNameHere
Ok, now I can see why most people don't take the Bible literally. It calls for stoning disobedient children. O.O
Posted by Atheism 4 years ago
Atheism
Yes, my used to be neighbors when I lived in Florida. They wanted to kill their children because they said the Bible told them to if the children were bad. We called social security, and now the children are safe from their parents, hopefully.
Vote Placed by Raymond123 1 year ago
Raymond123
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Really....?
Vote Placed by TheDizziestLemon 3 years ago
TheDizziestLemon
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by Zabcheckmate 3 years ago
Zabcheckmate
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by debatefreak22 3 years ago
debatefreak22
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by vickynoh 3 years ago
vickynoh
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by Wise8231 3 years ago
Wise8231
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by Pandora9321 3 years ago
Pandora9321
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by Zerglingleader 3 years ago
Zerglingleader
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by XStrikeX 3 years ago
XStrikeX
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied
Vote Placed by dashdustrider 4 years ago
dashdustrider
gamemasterJacobPearsonTied