Victoria85176
Dpowell

Children should be taught foreign languages in elementary school.

Dpowell

Victoria85176

Pro

First round-Acceptance
Second Round-Arguments (Rebuttals if applicable)
Third & Fourth round-Arguments and Rebuttals
Fifth round-Closing/ rebuttals
Please don't troll, or bring up any new arguments in the fifth round. I'm looking forward to a interesting debate, good luck Con!
Dpowell

Con

I accept your challenge, and look foward to the debate.
Victoria85176

Pro

I believe that it is of the up-most importance for students to take a foreign language in elementary school (or earlier), for it develops their thinking skills and opens their minds to other ways of the world {1}.
--
Can studying a second language in elementary school boost student achievement in other academic areas? Many study suggest that this is the case. Most school districts don't teach children a foreign language until age fourteen or later. But there are multiple studies that display that if children begin to study a second language in elementary school exhibit more naive-like pronunciation and are more likely to become a fluent speaker{1}{2}. Furthermore, Wilburn Robinson review over 140 studies conducted over three decades on this topic. His findings conclude that students who study a second language in elementary school have a mental flexibility, a superiority in concept formation, and a more diversified set of mental abilities {2}. This is just one of the many study that sugest second languages to be taught all over American elementary schools
--
The problem with starting a language at your freshmen year? You can only study it for four years! From a logical point of view, if you start a language earlier you can study it longer thereby having a more solid understanding of this language. Even some experts require six to eight years of study{3}! If a child could start learning a language four years earlier, they could master the grammar structure, and achieve true proficiency, in a way that is not possible for a four year program{3}.
--
I would like to expand on the idea of students being able respect different ways of the world. Since language study exposes children to different cultures that have different food, values, and traditions it can seem weird and uninteresting. But if students learn this at a young age children become more interested in it. They also learn to accept ways that are different than their own{4}.
--

:) References:

{1} http://www.wfu.edu...
{2} http://www.districtadministration.com...
{3} http://www.ibuzzle.com...
{4} http://www.ehow.com...
Dpowell

Con

Dpowell forfeited this round.
Victoria85176

Pro

I don't have time to post a argument at the moment, something came up. I will make sure to post for the next round though! My apology's to all voters and to Con! :)
Dpowell

Con

I agree, it would be nice to learn a language at a younger age, but you've got to think about whether or not they want to. Foreign Language classes are elective classes for a reason. They're something we have the right to choose. We shouldn't have to learn a new language if we don't want to.
...
One only needs to know the common language of where they live. If someone wants to travel the world, then they would need to learn a new language so they can get by in said country. But that's still choosing to learn a new language.
...
Granted that it would be easier for children to learn a different language, seeing how their brains are still developing, they still have the freedom to choose. Forcing them to take a class that some of them may not want, is practically the same as oppression, and we all know how America feels about oppression.
Victoria85176

Pro

Victoria85176 forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Con

I have nothing to add.
Victoria85176

Pro

Victoria85176 forfeited this round.
Dpowell

Con

I conclude with what I've said for my part of the debate. Children should enjoy the right to choose like we do.
Posted by ben671176 2 years ago
ben671176
I agree.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Victoria85176DpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by Vexorator 2 years ago
Vexorator
Victoria85176DpowellTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff