LittleDebater
CullenWoodward

Children should not be able to watch rated-R movies

CullenWoodward
Started: 10/23/2014 Category: Movies

LittleDebater

Pro

Introduction:
Rated-R movies harm the mental health of children. Studies have proven the dramatic negative effects of rated-R movies on children. My three arguments are that: 1. rated-R movies cause mental and emotional scars to children. 2. rated-R movies promote illegal activity and often includes inappropriate content. 3. Kids watching rated-R movies are likely to be unsuccessful in the future. I will now set the definitions of the prompt. "Children" refers to any human being under the age of 16. "Rated-R" movies refers to the "Restricted" rating given by the MPA or Motion Picture Association. "Should not be able to watch" means putting restrictions on the movies that does not let people under the age of 16 have any access to the movies in any way.
CullenWoodward

Con

Hi and thanks for starting the debate! I hereby accept your challenge. Generally the first round is only for acceptance, so I won't start my formal argument and gain an unfair advantage. I find this an interesting topic and look forward to debating. Good luck!
LittleDebater

Pro

LittleDebater forfeited this round.
CullenWoodward

Con

My 3 arguments are that 1. R rated movies can offer great teaching opportunities 2. not all R rated movies depict violent or sexual themes 3. It is too difficult to obtain accurate data on the real affects of kids. I agree with your definitions. To respond to your argument 1, R rated movies don't necessarily cause any emotional or mental scarring. This would be somewhat true if you said SOME R rated movies cause mental and emotional scarring this would be somewhat true, partly due to the fact that almost anything can cause emotional scarring to children, but this argument is almost completely irrelevant in a debate advocating for children not to be allowed to watch ANY R rated movies. An R rated movie doesn't necessarily have to be incredibly violent or sexual. Yes, a movie like superbad might teach a child some inappropriate subjects, but it would by no means leave them with emotional or mental scarring. This argument would be better suited for a debate about not allowing kids to watch violent or sexual films, but not for all R rated movies. To respond to argument 2, once again I'd like to point out that not all R rated movies have illegal activities to, but I would also like to point out that they generally don't promote them. A common misconception among adults is that kids will just blindly do whatever they see on screen. I'm 15, I've seen lots of R rated movies and I have never shoplifted, smoked, drank or done anything and neither have the majority of the people I know. The people that do do illegal activities generally do them because of other issues, not because they saw it in a movie. Of course R rated movies have inappropriate content, thats why they're rated R, but that doesn't mean a kid is gonna plan a heist after watching some crime movie. To respond to argument 3, first of all, I would like to see where you got this evidence. It seems nearly impossible to obtain unless you keep track of every kid that has watched an R rated movie or ask every hobo if they saw an R rated movie before age 16. Regardless of that, I could STILL use the not all R rated movies response. I don't think anyone's chances of success would be hurt by seeing slumdog millionaire or any inspirational movie like that. On top of that, there isn't any hard evidence that is true. I doubt any adult would blame their lack of success on watching R rated movies and vice versa. R rated movies don't impair one's ability to work hard, and some can even strengthen that drive. Thank you and I am now ready for the rebuttal.
LittleDebater

Pro

LittleDebater forfeited this round.
CullenWoodward

Con

My opponent forfeited both her rounds. My previous argument stands. Please vote in my favor. Thanks!
Posted by MFischer 2 years ago
MFischer
I am technically and I have to say, I miss a lot without 'R' rated movies. The Terminator, The Breakfast Club, The Expendables, etc. these movies that everyone talks about, but I've never seen. I wish I could have seen them, but my parents wouldn't let me. Here's the worst part - if it wasn't for the sexuality, I'd be watching them. Nothing leaves a bigger scar in a child's mind like sexuality. Here's my point. 'R' rated movies are rated this because 16+ people can handle things. Who cares how much fake fighting you see? When someone takes all their clothes off, things get awkward fast especially sine the childrens' bodies haven't even grown to that. Does their first look at something like that really need to be over Game of Thrones?
Vote Placed by Tweka 2 years ago
Tweka
LittleDebaterCullenWoodwardTied
Vote Placed by AbandonedSpring 2 years ago
AbandonedSpring
LittleDebaterCullenWoodwardTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con did not forfeit, while pro did
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
LittleDebaterCullenWoodwardTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture