Children should not watch television

Started: 7/13/2015 Category: TV

Thanks for accepting this debate. Today we have 5 rounds.
1. Introduction
2. Body
3. Body
4. Body
5. Conclusion

Hello, today our topic is that Children should not watch television. I agree with this because of 3 main reasons. My first reason is that TV is bad for children and my second is that they have to learn instead of watching TV. My third reason is that you can learn something bad in TV.

Hello ! ( My worthy competitor ) I accept this debate . Hope to have a diligent, non-traumatized and a good debate .
As it is very well said by Dani Reynolds that "Intellectuals can debate . Idiots just argue .
Thank you for arranging this debate .

brianjustin3709 forfeited this round.

I am really sorry to know that my worthy competitor has forfeited the previous round .
Regarding the information of forfeiting round by my opponent .
I won't be too long for this round . ( Coming to the topic )

I hereby urge to my point and emphasizes that Children should be allowed to watch television .
My opponent haven't mentioned that children should watch television for a specific time . ( Which I also agree )
My worthy competitor thinks that watching television is nuisance for children .

So therefore, given below are some of the many benefits of television .

Offers Inspiration
There truly is something for everyone on the hundreds of available television channels, and for kids, watching TV in moderation can help develop interests and even inspire further reading on a topic. Parents should be engaged in their children"s television viewing so they can be purveyors of further information. When a child sees something of interest or has questions about a particular topic, parents can use that as a springboard for deeper study.

Helps English Language Learners
Watching television gives kids whose native language is not English exposure to the conversational rhythms of spoken English. Just like college students taking Spanish are encouraged to go home and watch Telemundo or Univision to develop an ear for the language, students who are learning English can benefit from watching English-language television.

Offers Social Connectedness
Researchers found that television has a social benefit for kids who have difficulty connecting with others, in a study published in the journal Science Daily and conducted at the University of Buffalo and Miami University of Ohio. Shira Gabriel, Ph.D., one of the study"s authors, concludes that "Humans can use technologies, like television, to provide the experience of belonging when no real belongingness has been experienced." The study cautioned that kids withdrawing from family or friends to rely instead on "relationships" built with television characters is maladaptive, but for those with physical or psychological barriers that make social interaction difficult, television can offer some comfort.

So I hereby urge that parents/guardians should allow their children to watch television .
That's all from my side for this round . ( Thanking Everyone )

First TV is bad for you because it can harm your eyes. Television or no Television can change how our world works. With Television our lives don't go anywhere. Our education moves down greatly, our obeisity moves up intensly and our body in every way gets hurt. A question that should be answered is can we survive without television? With television our lives may be changed forever. Generation by generation will suffer and that is why I would like to start this debate, Should Television be banned?

Television is a great way to hurt your education. Everyday in the morning when you wake up. The first thing you do while your waiting to get breakfast or even when your eating breakfast the T.V is on. You go to school and you are still thinking of the cool show you are watched in the morning. And that leads to a distraction during your school day. Even after you get home you probably get a snack but then click on the T.V. After you watch T.V your distracted again. You don't do quality homework and you go to sleep late which makes you brain worse the next day. As everyday goes by you don't gain any knowledge. A future plan will be hurt and generation by generation people will continue the same process. Television may not just change a day of someones life but a day of waste and a generation of suffering.

Why in America is there the most obeisity? Why in America is there are so many junk foods? There may be some weird reason that leads to this answer. But a big reason is because theres T.V. When you watch T.V you are usually eating a snack. How does it get to you about eating the snack, well when you watch television you have a bond with you and a snack which tempts you to eat it. Another thing of how Television leads to obeisity is that when you eat and then watch T.V the fat and sugar of the food you ate dosen't turn it into energy but fat because because there is no exercise with T.V. A minute of television could mean a minute of fat.

If you don't think obeisity is bad yet then think about your whole body taking damage. So far in my debate your brain gets hurt and so does your stomach, heart and brain. Your eyes will start to lose eyesite as you keep watching T.V. This can be a forever change in your life. Your hearing will lose as days go on with television, for listening to television hurts your ears if its continuos. A great way to hurt your whole body is television, and without it we would be much better off.

Television caused much damage. If we still keep it we as humans will never feel like we accomplished something so great for television is so bad that Television should be banned.

Absolutely non-sense ... I am sorry to use this word ... But you insisted me ... It's a true copy paste from internet without reading my given points ...
I had given the points which are the advantages of television and you are speaking something nuisance that T.V ain't good.
You need to prove your points .
Lemme remind you ( Debate are of proving the points and not speaking you own believes ... It's mentioned in the terms and condition of debate competition )
Brother I was kind and humble with you that doesn't mean that you would copy paste it from internet ... and that useless stuff ... First of all you need to read my points ... Just making a big font doesn't mean it's important points ..

ANYWAYS !! I won't waste my round ....

The sales of T.V's have become less compared to the olden times ....
And the sales of LCD's are increasing ... So it means that the proportion of T.V are maintained at a specific limit ... Therefore, I think that there is no need to argue on this topic ...

LCD Advantages
Brightness Produces very bright images due to high peak intensity. Very suitable for environments that are brightly lit .
Emissions Produce considerably lower electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields than CRTs.
Geometric Distortion No geometric distortion at the native resolution. Minor distortion can occur for other resolutions.
Power Consumption Energy efficient. Consume less than 1/3 the power of a comparable CRT. Consume less electricity than a CRT and produce little heat.
Physical Aspects Take up about 40% less desk space. LCDs are thin and compact.
Screen Shape Completely flat screen.
Sharpness At the native resolution, the image is perfectly sharp. Adjustments are required at all other resolutions which can result in measurable degradation to the image. ( LINK ADDRESS FOR T.V SALES >>> GRAPH CHART ) ( LINK ADDRESS FOR LCD's SALES CHART >>> GRAPH CHART )

Most kids plug into the world of television long before they enter school. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF):

• two-thirds of infants and toddlers watch a screen an average of 2 hours a day

• kids under age 6 watch an average of about 2 hours of screen media a day, primarily TV and videos or DVDs

• kids and teens 8 to 18 years spend nearly 4 hours a day in front of a TV screen and almost 2 additional hours on the computer (outside of schoolwork) and playing video games

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that kids under 2 years old not watch any TV and that those older than 2 watch no more than 1 to 2 hours a day of quality programming.

The first 2 years of life are considered a critical time for brain development. TV and other electronic media can get in the way of exploring, playing, and interacting with parents and others, which encourages learning and healthy physical and social development.

As kids get older, too much screen time can interfere with activities such as being physically active, reading, doing homework, playing with friends, and spending time with family.

Of course, TV in moderation can be a good thing: Preschoolers can get help learning the alphabet on public television, grade schoolers can learn about wildlife on nature shows, and parents can keep up with current events on the evening news. No doubt about it — TV can be an excellent educator and entertainer.

Still, too much TV can be a bad thing:

• Children who consistently spend more than 4 hours per day watching TV are more likely to be overweight.

• Kids who view violent acts on TV are more likely to show aggressive behavior, and to fear that the world is scary and that something bad will happen to them.

• TV characters often depict risky behaviors, such as smoking and drinking, and also reinforce gender-role and racial stereotypes.

Children's advocates are divided when it comes to solutions. Although many urge for more hours per week of educational programming, others assert that zero TV is the best solution. And some say it's better for parents to control the use of TV and to teach kids that it's for occasional entertainment, not for constant escapism.

That's why it's so important for you to monitor the content of TV programming and set viewing limits to ensure that your kids don't spend too much time parked in front of the TV.

To give you perspective on just how much violence kids see on TV, consider this: The average American child will witness 200,000 violent acts on television by age 18. Kids may become desensitized to violence and more aggressive. TV violence sometimes begs for imitation because violence is often promoted as a fun and effective way to get what you want.

Many violent acts are perpetrated by the "good guys," whom kids have been taught to admire. Even though kids are taught by their parents that it's not right to hit, television says it's OK to bite, hit, or kick if you're the good guy. This can lead to confusion when kids try to understand the difference between right and wrong. And the "bad guys" on TV aren't always held responsible or punished for their actions.

Young kids are particularly frightened by scary and violent images. Simply telling kids that those images aren't real won't console them, because they can't yet tell the difference between fantasy and reality. Behavior problems, nightmares, and difficulty sleeping may follow exposure to media violence.

Older kids also can be frightened by violent images, whether they appear on fictional shows, the news, or reality-based shows. Reasoning with kids this age will help them, so it's important to provide reassuring and honest information to help ease fears. However, consider not letting your kids view programs that they may find frightening.

Risky Behaviors

TV is full of programs and commercials that depict risky behaviors (such as drinking alcohol, doing drugs, smoking cigarettes, and having premarital sex) as cool, fun, and exciting. And often, there's no discussion about the consequences of those actions.

For example, studies have shown that teens who watch lots of sexual content on TV are more likely to initiate intercourse or participate in other sexual activities earlier than peers who don't watch sexually explicit shows.

Alcohol ads on TV have actually increased over the last few years and more underage kids are being exposed to them than ever. A recent study by the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth (CAMY) found that youth exposure to alcohol ads on TV increased by 30% from 2001 to 2006.

Cigarette ads are banned on television, but kids and teens can still see plenty of people smoking on programs and movies airing on TV. This kind of "product placement" makes behaviors like smoking and drinking alcohol seem acceptable. In fact, kids who watch 5 or more hours of TV per day are far more likely to begin smoking cigarettes than those who watch less than the recommended 2 hours a day.

Health experts have long linked excessive TV-watching to obesity — a significant health problem today. While watching TV, kids are inactive and tend to snack. They're also bombarded with ads that encourage them to eat unhealthy foods like potato chips and empty-calorie soft drinks that often become preferred snack foods.

Studies have shown that decreasing the amount of TV kids watched led to less weight gain and lower body mass index (BMI).

According to the AAP, kids in the United States see 40,000 commercials each year. From the junk food and toy ads during Saturday morning cartoons to the appealing promos on the backs of cereal boxes, marketing messages are all around kids. And to them, everything looks ideal — like something they simply have to have. It all sounds so appealing — often, so much better than it really is.

Most kids under the age of 8 don't understand that commercials are for selling a product. Children 6 years and under can't distinguish program content from ads, especially if their favorite character is promoting the product. Even older kids may need to be reminded of the purpose of advertising.

Of course, it's nearly impossible to eliminate all exposure to marketing messages. You can turn off the TV or at least limit kids' watching time, but they'll still see and hear plenty of ads for the latest gizmos and must-haves.

So what you can do? Teach kids to be savvy consumers by talking about the products advertised on TV. Ask thought-provoking questions like, "What do you like about that?," "Do you think it's really as good as it looks in that ad?," and "Do you think that's a healthy choice?"

When your kids ask for products advertised, explain that commercials and other ads are designed to make people want things they don't necessarily need. And these ads are often meant to make us think that these products will make us happier somehow. Talking to kids about what things are like in reality can help put things into perspective.

To limit kids' exposure to TV commercials, the AAP recommends that parents:

• have kids watch public television stations (some of their programs are sponsored — or "brought to you" — by various companies, although the products they sell are rarely shown)

• record programs — without the commercials

• buy or rent children's videos or DVDs

his sources does not go into the website.

We urge you to vote for Pro

Jack_Frost forfeited this round.

• I am really sorry that my links weren't transferred properly ...

• But it's a kind and gentle request to my worthy competitor that it's not a joke here ...

• We needn't prove the theories here, we are here for facts .

• Facts have been always with the televisions ...

• My worthy competitor I have many theories to deal with this debate like you haven't mentioned the time for using televisions. I may open television for 5 seconds and then close it . Does that make any sense. Surely not .

• Theories have been put on by millions of people of the whole world, but what counts is facts.

• There have been many uses of televisions like getting weather forecasts, news , sports , like if there's a speech given by countries PM of President . On a television we can see it live, rather then reading it on newspaper the second day.

• Another opposition point I wanna say that you want in your rebuttal that please vote for pro, it means that you are rebutting that they shouldn't vote for you . That's all by my side .

Posted by enchantedelisha 1 year ago
I think children should be able to watch television to an extent with what their watching and how long. I've noticed that my little cousins and little brothers watch the cartoons on tv and are actually learning very good things that any child should learn. Now, when a show like family guy or the kardashians come on, little kids should not be around because of the stuff they say or do. Overall, i think kids should be able to watch tv.