KB240o
1970vu

Children shows are violent and children are exposed to sexuality (Pro-Yes) (Con-No)

Started: 12/29/2013 Category: TV

KB240o

Pro

I want to apologize again, I had this topic up before but I never replied because the end of the semester was going on so I had to focus on school. But I really want to debate on this topic & I hope you accept Con. Thank you.

1st round is acceptance.

1st round we state why or why not children shows are violent or not, 2nd round we point each others statements out and say why or why not its not a good point. 3rd and 4th round we make new statements and counter attack.

I believe children are exposed to a lot of violence and sexuality on television, those shows should be censored a little more to keep children from viewing these things and it should be shown to parents more as a rising problem that parents may not be aware of.
1970vu

Con

Only an average of 98,000 Households have Cable Television according to the Nielsen U.S. cable channel (includes satellite & telco providers too) coverage estimates. Most of the violence that we see on Television comes from Cable according to a article on LA Times.( I will post the Link in the Comments.)
Broadcast Networks are basically more behaved in their shows. By the way Broadcast Networks reach way more people then Cable. Of course some Violence and sexuality pop up in Network Shows. But what do the Parents do? They switch to another channel. As with the case with cable, if Parents see Violence, they switch it to another channel. Here is my point. Why should we ignore The Bill of rights to promote the well being of a child? Why do Parents buy Cable when they know that Cable has way more violence then network shows? Because it is their choice! Not my choice. Not your choice. But theirs. If we censor the shows, we say that we can do what ever we want with your show. Leave it up to the Networks to decide which shows to censor. Leave it up to the Parents to decide what shows to watch.
KB240o

Pro

Okay lets void your entire arguement in the first round, read the title of this debate, "Children shows are violent and children are exposed to sexuality".

Also you confuse me by saying, "Only an average of 98,000 Households have Cable Television according to the Nielsen U.S. cable channel (includes satellite & telco providers too) coverage estimates." It sounds like to me its saying that only an average of 98,000 people with television have cable and the rest of households have broadcast? I know that not every American has TV in their household, but lets keep in mind that the American population is about 316,148,990 people. Who knows how many people have broadcast then, but that is irrelevent because either way the major networks like Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon (For children) will still be there. This argument is about television for children and those children networks only, not HBO and TNT.
http://www.census.gov... -- population of the word, countries, etc.

Lets all be mature about this but children know what sex is, they see it from TV, movies, maybe their friends know about it from school who knows.
"
Good Morning America brought a group of boys and a group of girls, ages 7 to 10, to the Children's Museum of Manhattan. While their parents observed from another room, the children watched clips from their favorite TV shows, movies and music videos. One young boy, Teddy, said he thought singer Britney Spears dressed the way she did "so she looks cool on TV."Another boy, Nigel, said "she wants to look all sexy, that's it!" He further explained that acting sexy means, "to wear tight clothing and expose your body. Although many parents assume that PG-13 rated movies are comedies without a lot of sex and nudity, they should be aware that the movies contain adult jokes and situations. And kids pay attention to it, even if they don't understand it, Murphy says."
Kids know what sex means, they know what sexuality is and they are exposed to it at such a young age. Children should be kept safe and not learn about sex untill their teenage years, but if it keeps going on like this what effect can it have on the next generation?

I'll talk about the violence end of children shows next round, thank you to Con for accepting this debate and happy New Years
12/31/2013
1970vu

Con

Let the networks decide the censorship. Parents have a choice Either buy cable programming which may have Violent and sexual things in them or block tv shows using Parental controls,
KB240o

Pro

KB240o forfeited this round.
KB240o

Pro

Excuse my last forfeit, sorry.

But Con says, "Let the networks decide the censorship. Parents have a choice Either buy cable programming which may have Violent and sexual things in them or block TV shows using Parental controls,", I mean that's the thing, this problem with children shows that they are sexual and violent is an unaware problem. It deserves to be lectured to parents because these shows can contain adult jokes and very violent scenarios covered by cartoon animation that makes the child unaware of the problem. The American government is for the people and we should be much more aware about this then make a final vote about children shows. Something should be done about this, also, please watch this video as it is very entertaining and contains a huge example of the violence in one particular show out of many many shows.

One main argument is "Well parents can just block channels", no its not that easy unfortunately, parents should be shown about this and lectured about it and maybe parents can talk to their kids about the show. Are most people familiar with Cartoon Network? The famous network for cartoons right, well did you know when night comes Cartoon Network turns into a very bizarre, sexual, taboo-ish type of show named Adult Swim? Remember everyone can do their own research how I did but what I am trying to say is that how are parents going to block Cartoon Network when it has children shows in the day then later turns into an adult show? This is very easy access and I don't think parents want to block and unblock the show everyday for them, that would get tiring. I don't think Networks are going to censor this, we are all adults here, they and we understand the adult jokes and violence that we see so they know what they are doing.

So please parents, sit down with your child, watch TV with them a few times and you can see what I am talking about here. Happy New Years everyone, hope you all have a great year.
1970vu

Con

1970vu forfeited this round.
Posted by 1970vu 2 years ago
1970vu
Here is the Link.
http://articles.latimes.com...