Clearys
Travniki

Children's Beauty Pageants

Travniki

Clearys

Con

Beauty pageants should have an age limit set on them. Its sickening that parents are able to enter babies into pageants to be judged. These children are taught to be shallow and vapid as well as narcissistic. This is an unhealthy way to raise your children and it should not be allowed. This is a serious flaw in our society today that has resulted in generations that are completely consumed by material possessions and personal image. Beauty pageants teach nothing useful that can't be learned somewhere else, the proper way.

This will be 5 rounds, good luck!
Travniki

Pro

I accept this challenge.

Clairification: What would the age limit be? Is the actual resolution of this debate be "Childrens beauty pageants should have an age limit of (just an estimate) 7?

Or "Children under 3 years old should not be allowed to participate in beauty pageants?
Clearys

Con

Well I'd say 15 is a good age because by that point they would have developed somewhat and wouldn't be brought up learning that looks are all that matters. They're too young and impressionable when they are little kids, if they are high school level they will have at least partly dealt with pressures and can handle things a bit better. I don't think that pageants are beneficial to toddlers and middle schoolers because they have no concept of anything. They are being exposed to something they don't fully understand and it could result very badly. I know for a fact that pageants are not the best way to teach your child confidence and help them to develop an outgoing personality. Besides, what is the need for toddlers to perform anyway? There has to be some ulterior motive of the parents, maybe hopes to win some money- more than they put out. Or to live the dream they never had the chance to live.

My arguments are as follows:
1. Beauty pageants are detrimental to the proper growth and development of a child's abilities
2. Pageants create competitive and unfriendly surroundings
3. Children are taught false values and are harmed psychologically
4. Children are not old enough to understand that this is not the real world
5. Shows on this (ex. toddler & tiaras) glorify children's pageants - the money is used in the wrong places

http://psychologycorner.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...
http://www.bsu.edu...
http://puc-web01.calumet.purdue.edu...
Travniki

Pro

Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to Side Propposition, Today I stand for a future generation of healthy minded and healthy bodied young women, the proper growth and development of our children and our toddlers engaging in productive and harmless extra curricular activities.
Today I will be arguing how Child Beauty Pageants do not impede, but complement everything side Proposition stands for
But first we'll look at what Con has said so far
"Beauty pageants are detrimental to the proper growth and development of a child's abilities"

Pro did not give a reason to support this assertion. The only thing I could find was her saying "there's no concept". That's completely untrue, there are many concepts of pageants such as the skillfull application of makeup and hair styling (two very real proffessions) and any other talents that said child happens to possess.
"Pageants create competitive and unfriendly surroundings"

What is the difference between this and a debate tournament? Most tournaments are very competitive, that's the point of them. You need to tell me the difference between this and say a debate or soccer tournament. But pageants are actually less competitive than regular extra-curricular tournaments because there is no real direct clash or competition (as in a soccer tournament). The girls merely have to appeal to a judge, not physically outmaneuvre eachother as they would have to in a soccer tournament.Beauty pageants are less competitive than most extra-curricular tournaments.

'Children are taught false values and are harmed psychologically"

Again, tell me how pride in self image and personal hygene are inherently bad things? You insult all Hair stylists, barbers, and make up artists by saying their industry is false. Girls (and boys) should be given the oppurtunity at a young age to participate in these industries. Also, please name me the phycological harms or gie reasons, I have nothing to work with but your unproven assertion.
"Children are not old enough to understand that this is not the real world"
Beauty pageants aren't supposed to be the real world..they are fun activities that encourage the values I have listed.
That's like saying we should oppose debate tournaments because it gives children a false image of how politics work and make them all think they are the future Prime Ministers or Presidents.
" Shows on this (ex. toddler & tiaras) glorify children's pageants - the money is used in the wrong places"
We can all agree that the Moms on these shows are horrendous. But this problem speaks to the moms not the beauty pageants. Children are often pressured into scholarly excellence, excellence in sports and debate and all other types of abilties by insensitive parents for the wrong reasons.
My First Point-Well more of an observation

Con has failed to show the differenciating link between child pageants and any other form of competitive activity, and while I admire her passion she needs to stop simply asserting bold claims without backing them up. She has failed to show why Child Beauty Pageants are inherently bad.
We can all agree that parents shouldn't pressure their children to go to extreme lenghts to succeed at something, and I am no fan of young girls wearing make-up, but Con has not shown why Child Beauty Pageants inherently cause these harms, rather than the parents.
Remember, a girl doesn't have to wear makeup at a pageant if she has natural beauty.

Clearys

Con

Your argument is that I didn't support my arguments.. well that was something that was obviously going to be addressed. So your point is null and void.
1.Beauty pageants are detrimental to the proper growth and development of a child's abilities
- Beauty pageants hinder a child's ability to to learn how to communicate correctly. Through pageants, they are taught that life is a competition, and to treat everything as so. In this way, they are not "properly" growing and developing full capabilities in the respect that a child unexposed to beauty pageants would.

- The difference between this and a debate tournament is that, firstly, one has to be a certain age to even be on this website and to be eligible for most debates. Also that beauty pageants don't involve discussing intelligible topics and uncovering new arguments and understandings based off of knowledge. So, there are many differences, if you would like me to continue I could list endless amounts but I think I made my point. Competition has nothing to do with physicality's nor has it ever. I am an athlete, I compete regularly. I play basketball and run track, however, neither sport is more competitive than the other, and in track I make no physical contact. The type of competitive in this case creates this feeling of superiority because the competition is based on looks and a "talent", not off of ones natural or hard worked abilities that have been trained my a coach and through the efforts of teamwork where one learns a healthy way of competing. "The girls have to appeal to a judge." Thing of the word "judge"- judgment, judgmental- these children are subject to such scrutiny- much more than any athlete on a team.

- I am directly insulting all hair stylists, barbers and make up artists... tell me again how I manage this? My point is that children, by being judges on their appearance and "talent", learn that ones value lies in their looks and abilities, not in their self worth. Want some psychological harms? Well, lets see, a child- as a result of beauty pageants- is going to develop such insecurity when it comes to looks. He/she will have become so accustomed to this that they will then base the value of their peers off of the way they look. They are more likely to develop eating disorders such as bulimia, anorexia, binging and purging. They also constantly experience anxiety, not only from the pressures of competition but also from the pressures of their family, peers and judges.

- "Beauty Pageants aren't supposed to be the real world" - this is definitely true. What also needs to be considered though is the fact that for a young impressionable girl or boy- this can seem very much like the real world and an entrance into adulthood. They have so much expected of them, performance-wise, looks-wise, that they become accustomed to this way of thinking and apply it to life. What can be understood from this argument is that these children are too young to know the difference between their beauty pageant lives and their real lives- they don't know that looks aren't truly everything, or that everyone has to have a "talent" and be good at something. This is the point, we cannot expect their lives to be as innocent and enjoyable as they could have been once exposed to the cruel spotlight. The way they are treated reflects directly onto their peers because they are too young to distinguish the difference.
- I completely agree with your point, but if that truly is the case, I'd assume one would rather be pressured into a life of academic excellence than a life of false values. There is always going to be pressure to do things, without that we would not make decisions, without it there would be no cause and effect- however, it is what is chosen that matters. Parents are putting money into spray tans, caps for teeth, dresses, swimsuits, outfits, hair and lessons- all which could be placed into an education or college fund. Yes, the parents ACTIONS on the show are horrendous, but beauty pageants themselves are not much different and all require the same amount of effort, time and money.

Although you do make a few solid points, the cons outweigh the pros immensely.
Travniki

Pro

Travniki forfeited this round.
Clearys

Con

I guess I have nothing to really say since this was forfeited. I hope you keep trying so week can keep this debate going.
Travniki

Pro

Travniki forfeited this round.
Clearys

Con

Clearys forfeited this round.
Travniki

Pro

Travniki forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
ClearysTravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro proved that they are not bad. Con was arguing as if their parents sent them to beauty pageants very often. Same as guy below.
Vote Placed by Multi_Pyrocytophage 4 years ago
Multi_Pyrocytophage
ClearysTravnikiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Despite the fact that Pro forfeited 3 rounds, I do think he made a good point here. He showed how Peageants aren't necessarily evil. The main reason Pro deserves arguments is because Con was arguing as if Parents sent their children to beauty pageants very often. Pro showed more clearly, the way I see it, how Beauty pageants weren't as detrimental as they seem. Also, Con used sources.