Dbear04
ishallannoyyo

Children's Movies and TV Shows of the of the Recent Decades have become Less Meaningful

ishallannoyyo

Dbear04

Pro

INTRODUCTION:
The quality of children's movies and TV shows has fallen over the previous decade and the unfortunate trend has carried over into this decade as well. The movies once intended for children with deeper and more serious messages have long faded, and now, all what seems to be left is bright, colorful images that depict positive, yet superficial messages of determination and friendship. Though I agree the messages of modern movies such as Madagascar and Cars are good and are meant to send out positivity to young audiences, it is clear that they lack in moral impact in comparison to the dual and more mature lessons of classic children's movies such as Pocahontas, Mulan, Lion King, and even Dumbo. In the aspect of children's television, the majority of modern day cartoons have deteriorated into a single lump of nonsensical entertainment, with little to no attempt to create an actual lesson or purpose. My argument is that children's movies and television shows of today have become more censored or limited in order to maintain what is seen as politically correct diversions for children, but the act is more hindering than beneficial, and has consequently dragged down the overall quality of children's modern entertainment.
ishallannoyyo

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate. However, I have noticed a lack of definitions. Therefore, I would like to offer forth some definitions to guide this debate.

Children's movies: motion pictures featured in theatres designed ( or rated) for people under the age of 18
Children's TV Shows: a program broadcrasted by television designed for people under the age of 18
Recent Decades: Movies and TV shows released and running during 2000 - 2012
Meaningful: full of meaning, significance, purpose or value

I look forward to my opponent's arguments!

1. www.dictionary.com
Dbear04

Pro

Thank you, and I agree with the definitions provided. Modern films and television shows catered to people under the age of 18 seem to lack in quality. Please allow me to define "quality" for the sake of further debate.

Quality: The standard of something as measured against other things of a similar kind; the degree of excellence of something: "quality of life".
Synonyms:grade - kind - merit - property - class - attribute

The "degree of excellence" of children's movies and television shows today have fallen if compared to the quality of movies before 2000-2012. In these terms, excellence is defined by the messages and purposes of such kinds of entertainment. For example, a television show from the 90's, let's use Spongebob Squarepants for example, though may use cartoon humor for the sake of entertaining children, still maintained lessons based on societal concerns such as not ceding to peer pressure and the importance of being oneself as shown in the episode, "Ripped Pants" (1999). Whereas, a modern episode of Spongebob Squarepants from the 2007-2012 era utilizes dull story plots and disturbing animation for the sake of mundane entertainment for children. The Spongebob episode, "House Fancy" (2008), is an example of this, where the lesson is unclear, and unsettling graphics (most notably a detailed depiction of a character's toenail and skin being scraped off by the leg of a sofa) were used to seemingly gain a response from its audience. Since children are the target audience, I find it difficult to understand why disturbing graphics seems to be a trend amongst modern cartoon TV shows supposedly meant for kids, which only furthers my argument that children's entertainment of today is more hindering than beneficial, and lacks a lesson or purpose.

In the respect of children's movies, I believe that there is still an effort to push out a sort of message to kids, however, I do not believe these messages run as deep as the messages of children's movies from earlier decades. An example being Mulan (1998), which tells a tale about a girl who joins a militia opened only for men. Like children's movies today, the story does indeed teach a lesson of courage and bravery, however, there seems to be a dual lesson that runs into the more mature areas of social concerns such as sexism and discrimination. Religion and familial strains are also involved in the movie, and a question of societal correctness is tested overall throughout the film. I feel that such deeper lessons are not typically found in modern children's films, where the brightness of animation has been heightened, and and the level of lesson and or purpose are lowered for the sake of political correctness.

1. www.dictionary.com
2. "Spongebob Squarepants" show; www.spongebob.nick.com; "House Fancy";"Ripped Pants"
3. www.imdb.com/Mulan
ishallannoyyo

Con

I thank my opponent for her comments. I accept her definition of quality. I would now like to take this time to refute the arguments brought forth by my opponent and bring forth some arguments myself.

Still maintained lessons based on societal concerns such as not ceding to peer pressure and the importance of being oneself.

Of course, is learning how to laugh, have fun, and just be a kid not an important lesson too also portrayed in almost every SpongeBob episode? Are episodes such as “The Secret Box” (aired in 2001) not important lessons in curiosity, and respect for other’s property? “House Fancy” also taught us important lessons, such as the penalties of jealousy, envy, and the value of help. [1] Clearly, SpongeBob is the living epitome of “excellence.”

Since children are the target audience, I find it difficult to understand why disturbing graphics seems to be a trend amongst modern cartoon TV shows supposedly meant for kids.

My opponent has only provided one example of disturbing graphics and I find it hard to believe that shows such as Pokémon or Yugi-oh! Have “disturbing graphics”. I would invite my opponent to show us when such graphics appeared in other shows.

TV shows supposedly meant for kids, which only furthers my argument that children’s entertainment of today is more hindering than beneficial, and lacks a lesson or purpose.

My opponent is under the delusion that every TV show needs to carry a lesson, or moral. What happened to the times that you watched a cartoon just for the sake of laughter? Is learning to have fun not important?

I do not believe that these messages run as deep as the messages of children’s movies from earlier decades.

One of the most impactful and meaningful movies ever, Toy Story 3 was released in 2010. It emphasized friendship, the child within, loyalty, and self-value. Woody desperately tries to return to Andy, while Lotso remains adamant that they are all garbage, destined to end up in the trash. Woody refuses to believe that he is “trash” and believes that Lotso’s anger stems from his “replacement” when in reality his owner had accidently lost him and still loved Lotso very much. Is this not a meaningful film? These recent decades have seen the most meaningful films ever.

The Harry Potter series – friendship, bravery, courage

The Lord of the Rings – friendship and good vs evil

Click – the value of our life and our fleeting time here

Lilo and Stitch – friendship and loyalty

Monsters Inc – love and compassion

Shrek – inner beauty

How can anyone say that this decade has been lacking in meaningful children’s movies? Clearly, these recent decades have had extremely meaningful television shows and movies. VOTE CON.

SOURCES

1.http://spongebob.wikia.com...

2. http://gentlyhewstone.com...

Dbear04

Pro

Dbear04 forfeited this round.
ishallannoyyo

Con

Extend Arguments.
Dbear04

Pro

Dbear04 forfeited this round.
ishallannoyyo

Con

Extend Arguments. Vote Con.
Posted by WMdebate 4 years ago
WMdebate
What's the character limit on this debate?
Posted by Dbear04 4 years ago
Dbear04
You can include movies from the current decade as well.
Posted by ldcon 4 years ago
ldcon
Are we only comparing the previous decade?
Vote Placed by Contra 4 years ago
Contra
Dbear04ishallannoyyoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had multiple FFs.
Vote Placed by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Dbear04ishallannoyyoTied
Reasons for voting decision: pretty close until the pro FF the last two rounds