youngpolitic
katpoop10

China is Better Off as a Communist Nation than as a Capitalist Society

youngpolitic

Pro

Before I start I want to lay down a few definitions.

[1] Communism - a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state.

[2] China - People's Republic of, a country in E Asia. 1,221,591,778; 3,691,502 sq. mi. (9,560,990 sq. km). Capital: Beijing.

[3] better - larger; greater:

[4] capitalism - an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, esp. as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth

Now that I have my definitions out of the way I can continue.

I would like to start with my main points.

A - No political stress. Communist countries operate under a one party system meaning that the communist party is the only one running on the ticket come "election" time. Therefore under this one party system the Chinese people do not have to worry about politics and a bipartisan system like they do here. Think about how much we waste on bipartisan politics and how much money and hours are put into political campaign's. In China I think it helps the younger generations to not have to worry about this kind of stress.

B - New economic reform. Present day China has released some of its hold over the private sector over there paving the way for an economic powerhouse. The Chinese government has introduced a new system that injects a lot more capitalism into their economy. Combine this with the uniform government and lack of political related stress and you have a formidable force.

C - If China happened to change to a democracy it's people would suffer. I think that China would react like post Soviet Union Russia did after the collapse of their communist regime. The people would not be able to function properly without the federal government taking care of them.

I say China is better off the way it is and tough to the US and other nations who want to change this. It works for them.
katpoop10

Con

My counter-argument can be said in just two sentences:

Communist societies do not have a price system for the means of production, hence economic calculation becomes impossible, which will result in resources never being allocated in such a way that satisfies the consumer. The economic chaos that ensues, and the dictatorial power that is required to eliminate private ownership from taking place naturally, makes for a tyrannical and oppressive country for the citizens, who in the case of China have already suffered greatly under Communism during the 20th century, where over 65 MILLION people were killed directly through murder or indirectly through famine by the Communist regime.
youngpolitic

Pro

Yes in a normal communist society this is true but in China communism has evolved to insert a few certain capitalist ideals into the communist system that make it so that consumers are more satisfied. Many of the Chinese who live in urban areas are wealthy and happy. The government is oppressive when it comes to certain areas but I do not believe it to be "tyrannical".

I am going to stand by my argument I said before. I think more people would suffer if the communist regime collapsed than how many do currently. There are 1.3 BILLION people in China that would be directly affected by the change in government and I think that they would be affected negatively. 1.3 billion is a much larger number than 65 million.

I stand when I say that China is better off as a Communist Nation.
katpoop10

Con

katpoop10 forfeited this round.
Posted by KeithKroeger91 8 years ago
KeithKroeger91
Grass is always greener on the other side.
Posted by Levin 8 years ago
Levin
I'm wondering what your thesis means. Are you saying it's better for the country itself, better for the people, or better for the ruling class? This definition would be very important in a debate.
Posted by Volkov 8 years ago
Volkov
"No political stress. Communist countries operate under a one party system meaning that the communist party is the only one running on the ticket come "election" time."

He shouldn't have included this tidbit then. Communism could probably work under a multi-party system.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
"Communism - a theory or system of social organization based on the holding of all property in common, actual ownership being ascribed to the community as a whole or to the state."

Nope. Minus [A], he acts like democracy=capitalism.
Posted by Volkov 8 years ago
Volkov
I assumed has was talking about the one-party state.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Communism and democracy are not incompatible... I assume that you mean capitalism.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 5 years ago
THEBOMB
youngpolitickatpoop10Tied
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
youngpolitickatpoop10Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
youngpolitickatpoop10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the burden of proof and provided no evidence supporting the resolution. China is a good case to debate, since they had a communist system and have moved towards capitalism. So there is an historical record to be cited. Extraordinary claims, per Pro, require extraordinary proof. Con loses conduct for the forfeit.
Vote Placed by imabench 5 years ago
imabench
youngpolitickatpoop10Tied
Reasons for voting decision: counter vote bomb
Vote Placed by youngpolitic 7 years ago
youngpolitic
youngpolitickatpoop10Tied