Ashoka
delmar_whyte

China is a 'Threat' to America (Military)

Con Tied Pro

Ashoka

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge and remind them that the 'Threat' we are discussing is military. Leave the economy out of it.

In this argument I will be trying to convince my opponent that the Chinese Military (I will refer to as PLA frequently) is not the inevitable military threat that everyone seems to think they are.

Let's begin by taking a look at the numbers starting with the ever misleading personnel:

| Active Personnel: United States- 1,473,900. China- 3,440,000|
| Reserve Personnel: United States- 1,458,500. China- 1,200,000|
|Paramilitary: United States- 453,000. China- 4,100,000|
|Total: United States- 3,385,400. China- 8,740,000|

Obiously advantage China numerical wise by more than a massive 5,000,000 people. However notice that nearly half of the PRC's total personnel is paramilitary meaning; "a group of civilians organized to function like or to assist a military unit" according to Merriam-Webster. This type of personnel can be thrown aside in a simulated war because of one of my main points in this argument: The United States will never take the war to China.

This right here is the major reason behind my argument. I will now explain why.

- The numbers mean everything, but nothing because of it. Simply, if the United States were to try to invade China they would be overwhelmed. Literally swarmed by Chinese troops and paramilitants. This fact makes them mean nothing. The U.S knows this so the fight will never be on Chinese soil. Not only would it be a disaster if we got our guys there, it would a logisitcal and financial disaster trying to do so.

- The PLAN (People's Liberation Army Navy) has no projection capability. They have two carriers- one is not even close to being ready for service and the other is currently being [slowly] refurbished after serving a long stint has a floating casino. because of this and my previous point that the U.S will not take the fight to China makes war seem impossible for one reason. Because it is. China has said they want 6 carriers by 2020 or later. The United States has 11 carriers currently with new Fords being built. Combine that with the unprecendented fleet of AASs (Amphibious Assault Ships like Wasps and the new Americas.) LSTs, LPDs, etc. the United States is the only military, or more specifically Navy, that can deploy anywhere in the world. The Chinese couldn't even muster a decent invasion of Japan if they tried.

- Equipment/Training. What will win- 10 rifles firing inaccuratley vs. 4 rifles firing accuratley. The latter. That is pretty much the summary of a hypothetical Sino-American War. The training is a big difference. Every man in the U.S military (more or less) is trained equally and has mastered (more or less) the [basic] skills of combat. If you don't agree with these last statements you can at least agree that they are more so than their Chinese counterparts. A civillian/paramilitant using a SKS he picked out of the cache down the road a heavy 7.62mm round or an American rookie firing an M4 that he has been training with for the past months regardless of his actual combat experience. The latter will obviously win.

-Air power. This is not even an argument. The United States wins in numbers, skills and equipment.

-There is something called the Pacific Ocean.

So. The United States realizes a war cannot be fought on Chinese soil, so it won't. The Chinese can't get their numbers out of the Yellow Sea so an invasion of the U.S is impossible. Threat neautralized. Scratch that. The 'Threat' never existed.

I could go on all day and I'm bad at organization so I'll let my opponent take a stab at this one.
delmar_whyte

Pro

ahem.... hmmm well in terms of military power, we do knot know about other countries powers, such as weaponry. wet think we know bout their power but... they could be 10x more powerful... we could have the best technology ever but that doesn't mean we're the best... i'm not saying we (america) aren't a strong counrty but we just can't underestimate another country due to the lack of militarty power... the other country could have a super weapon and we don't know it...
if war we're ever to wage against China, we'd be losing all of our imported chinese goods so it wouldont be a good idea to have war with a country because of certain imports and exports...
Ashoka

Con

So you're argument for China being a threat to the United States is that they may or may not have a doomsday weapon that we do not know about? Of course it is possible, although extremely unlikely, but the same argument could be made for the United States. In fact it could be made for any country. But is Singapore considered a threat? No just as it doesn't make China a threat. Also, the chances of a secret Chinese weapons are just as likely, scratch that, less likely than the chances of the United States having the same. The American population does't exactly have an active part in the R&D of top secret (Hence the name) weapons.

Quote: ||if war we're ever to wage against China, we'd be losing all of our imported chinese goods so it wouldont be a good idea to have war with a country because of certain imports and exports...||/

In my opening post I specifically said: "I would like to thank my opponent for accepting my challenge and remind them that the 'Threat' we are discussing is military. Leave the economy out of it." So this point is moot. However I would just like to quickly add that if the U.S would be losing imports, China would be equally losing exports.
delmar_whyte

Pro

delmar_whyte forfeited this round.
Ashoka

Con

Ashoka forfeited this round.
delmar_whyte

Pro

delmar_whyte forfeited this round.
Ashoka

Con

Ashoka forfeited this round.
delmar_whyte

Pro

delmar_whyte forfeited this round.
Posted by Ashoka 6 years ago
Ashoka
|That doesn't make any sense. Nukes are obsolete, but the use thereof isn't|

Iran. Even though they likely do not have actual nukes, they have the threat of potential weapons. The threat it what matters. I worded it weird I admit but I hope you see my point.

|Con is right, but not for the right reasons and I see no way to divorce war and economy. I will pass on this one, and say that Con has better weapons in his arsenal than the ones he presented. Good luck to you and your opponent.|

It is diffuclt to seperate them especially in a Sio-American hypothetical war, but since I clearly stated "Leave the economy out of it." I would expect my opponent to have read my argument and posted in accordance whether it is difficult or not.

And if we were/are talking economic threat- Yes the PRC is a serious threat to the U.S economy. But the U.S is also a serious threat to the Chinese economy.
Posted by sherlockmethod 6 years ago
sherlockmethod
Con is right, but not for the right reasons and I see no way to divorce war and economy. I will pass on this one, and say that Con has better weapons in his arsenal than the ones he presented. Good luck to you and your opponent.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 6 years ago
Cody_Franklin
That doesn't make any sense. Nukes are obsolete, but the use thereof isn't?
Posted by Ashoka 6 years ago
Ashoka
Actual nukes are obsolete. The idea of nuclear war is the only thing that matters. Anyways, they'er a non-issue in my argument.
Posted by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
Number are pretty much irrelevant now days. Nukes are all one needs
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Ashokadelmar_whyteTied
Reasons for voting decision: FAIL DEBATE, as both sides dropped out... (checking the voting period debates, from Least To Most votes. By giving this one, it won't be prioritized in the system anymore.)