acouto
hinderbolt

China will overtake the US

Started: 8/15/2013 Category: Economics

acouto

Con

First of all, I've been reading some stuff online about China and the chances of overtake the United States and, because of that, I decided to create a debate.

In my opinion, it is likely for China to beat the United States' GDP, however, I do not believe that China will become the world's superpower (superpowers aren't built only on money).
Of course, I say this assuming that the Chinese government isn't lying on their GDP numbers.
Oh, and by the way, there are other indicators that show the status quo of a country's economy, like the GDP per capita. Unfortunately for China, there is a huge gap between the richest and the poorest people living there.

Besides, the Chineses' way of life is very different when compared to the western countries (and, personally, I think that we prefer our way, by far), which means that we would have to adapt to their way. That won't happen, in my opinion. Culturally and socially speaking, I believe that the US will continue as superpower.

To conclude, I defend that China will, eventually, beat the United States' GDP, but it won't, at all, overtake the position as superpower of the US.
hinderbolt

Pro

It is absolutely possible for China to overtake the United States in some ways, for instance, economically. First of all, let's consider exports of oil. China I presume, has already overtaken the United States to become the number one global supplier for oil. A survey conducted by the Pew Research Centre showed that "China's economic power is on the rise, and many think it will eventually supplant the United States as the world's dominant superpower." In 23 of the 39 countries surveyed, majorities or pluralities said China has overtaken or will overtake America. But it depends on what you mean by 'overtake.' Please clarify in your rebuttal. Is it physically overtake, as in a colonialism? Or just economically overtake?
acouto

Con

About exports, what you said isn't true. You can see it here - http://en.wikipedia.org.... By the way, know this: http://www.nytimes.com....
However, I know that China will overtake the United States in oil imports by October (http://www.defence.pk...).

If you check online, you'll see that China is constructing a lot of buildings which can result, in the future, in a bubble that would crash the economy. Some economists say that the next crisis can start in China. Others say that China is already entering in a point of no coming back.

The solution would be to fix the gap between the richest and the poorest, but, by doing that, the GDP growth would slow down (to 3/4%). Considering that it isn't already at this rate (some people say that China is already with a GDP growth of 5% but is lying to the world...).

According to CBO's forecast, the US economy will pick up in the second half of 2013 and it will really speed up in 2014 (3.4% of GDP growth) and an average growth of 3.6% between 2015-2018. (source: http://www.cbo.gov...). This means that, if the chinese government solves their economical problem, their GDP growth will be practically the same as the US. Since the America's GDP is bigger, it would stay bigger if the growths rates are identical.

When I say overtake, I refer to an economically, culturally and socially overtake. Nevertheless, you can say your opinion about the power of the two nations' army.
hinderbolt

Pro

hinderbolt forfeited this round.
acouto

Con

Do you agree or disagree with my previous arguments?
hinderbolt

Pro

hinderbolt forfeited this round.
acouto

Con

acouto forfeited this round.
hinderbolt

Pro

hinderbolt forfeited this round.
acouto

Con

acouto forfeited this round.
hinderbolt

Pro

hinderbolt forfeited this round.