LCS_TYBDL
GamnQ

Chinese Expansion....Acceptable?

LCS_TYBDL

Con

I've decided to put light on the expansion of China of recent years, and its aspirations to increase its presence in East Asia.

The recent disputes surrounding China is worrying. China currently faces territorial disputes against virtually all of its neighbors. The Senkaku/Diaoyu islands, Spratly Islands... To me, China seems to be trying to change the status quo in East Asia by force, and I am therefore opposed to China attempting to exert power in Asia.
GamnQ

Pro

I believe it is actually important right now for China to expand.
It is the only way that it could possibly advance its international position fast enough to be an effective deterrent to the United States.

The US has dominated the globe ever since the fall of the USSR. I am not advocating that we go back into a state of cold war, but I do believe that the US supremacy around the globe should be kept in check by other powers.
LCS_TYBDL

Con

"The US has dominated the globe ever since the fall of the USSR"
"It is the only way that it could possibly advance its international position fast enough to be an effective deterrent to the United States."

I partially agree to your point that the U.S. was, and still is the superpower on "top" of the globe. However, I want to raise this question. The U.S. for the most part is a democratic nation, and the rights of its citizens are protected. Therefore many nations actually welcome U.S. dominance.

China in the contrary is still a dictatorship by the Communist party. Its citizens do not have the freedom of speech, and their media is censored by the CCP. China openly oppresses people of the likes of Tibetans and Uyghrs. The structure of their government itself is corrupt and social unrest is prevailing in China.

Therefore in my opinion it is dangerous and not favorable to give China influence matching the U.S.
GamnQ

Pro

Yes, I do find that China is repressive and not exactly democratic, but I don't think that democracy protects us to the extent you think it does.

I am not advocating giving China the same amount of influence as the US, but giving it enough to be an effective deterrent.

Also, I think you'll find that nations under direct US dominance are not exactly happy about it (Much of NATO complains of US overstepping its authority, not to mention every single country the US has invaded, all in the name of democracy of course)

Also, going back to the topic of the US being a democratic nation: It is always unsafe to give anyone the power that the US has, because it will be abused. Just like you said, the US is a democracy, yet they systematically commit war crimes in the lands they invade, and not only that, but they commit crimes against world privacy with their giant spying programs.
Not to mention that they've given themselves the right to police everything other nations and foreign companies do.
US imperialism must be stopped in my opinion, and China's ruthless expansion is only one small step in the right direction for the world.

I believe truly that every government is essentially evil. It is however better to have multiple evils keep each other other in check, rather than have one evil with infinite power over everyone else.
LCS_TYBDL

Con

Your central point is that the world needs a deterrent against U.S. influence to regulate the U.S' actions; am I correct?

Perhaps you point that "It is however better to have multiple evils keep each other " is correct. However, imagine what would happen if China continued to expand.

With its power increasing, China will continue to assert its power to its neighbors. Just recently China set an ADIZ directly above the Senkaku/Diaoyu islands, where China and Japan both claim sovereignty. Japan had ownership of these islands for decades; only when the UN found out there were abundant resources in the area, China abruptly claimed sovereignty.
With tension rising in recent years, rather than attempting to diffuse this tension and maintain peace, China have stepped up its attempt to own these islands, the most recent example being the ADIZ mentioned earlier.
China also holds territorial disputes with a majority of its neighbors, and as the Wall Street Journal said in its editorial, China seems to think that if they "bully" their neighbors, they would get what they want.

Also, the Chinese government in general ignored the environmental issues this planet faces. While other nations attempt to reduce gas emissions, China went ahead and increased theirs, declaring that since they were still a developing nation, the fact that the developed nations are demanding a decrease is unfair.

Therefore, China so far have been self-centered, and have acted for its own benefit, ignoring the fact that these actions affect neighboring nations heavily. Which reflects the sinocentric (!775;夷思想) beliefs of the Han people, holding its roots in ancient times.
Whereas the U.S., in East Asia, at least, successfully kept the region stable, China is directly trying to break this stability.

If China continues expanding, the balance of this region may reach a breaking point and a war might break out.

Therefore, unless China changes from its self-centered state, the expansion of China seems to be a great threat to world peace.
GamnQ

Pro

GamnQ forfeited this round.
LCS_TYBDL

Con

LCS_TYBDL forfeited this round.
GamnQ

Pro

GamnQ forfeited this round.
LCS_TYBDL

Con

LCS_TYBDL forfeited this round.
GamnQ

Pro

GamnQ forfeited this round.