lamhoikei
Mr.Alex

Chinese is more important than English recently.

Mr.Alex

lamhoikei

Pro

This is the first time for me to debate, that's why I chose this easy topic. No matter how the result is, my purpose is to learn through practices. Thank you!

Definition of the topic: Would Chinese be more important than English in nowadays? We should focus on whatever factors of why these two languages are important, and debate which is the most important. Because of I am new in the field of debating, so that would be easier for me to take the pro side.

Here we go.

Regard to the GDP of the China still grows 9.9% in the first three quarters, though china is facing the global economic recession. And because of China is a member of the WTO; it is no doubt that china play a very important role in the global economy nowadays. Most probably you will need to work with Chinese companies in every business sectors. There is a urgent need to learn Chinese.

I am not saying that English is useless, but the Chinese definitely would be the priority language in the world right now.
Mr.Alex

Con

First off I would like to thank my opponent for an interesting, and somewhat controversial, debate topic. Is Chinese more important than English in recent times? The answer to this question is no.

English is not more important than Chinese, but my opponent does not ask whether English is more important.
He simply states "Chinese is more important". Now how do we judge the importance of a language? Do we see how much people speak that language in contrast to other languages? Do we see how many Chinese people speak English and vice versa? Or is there some other form of determining the importance of a language that my opponent has not pointed out?

First I would like to address some of the things my opponent has said in his opening arguement. "Regard to the GDP of the China still grows 9.9% in the first three quarters, though china is facing the global economic recession." Yes and in this global recession many predict China's GDP to fall to 7.5% in 2009 and even further, 5.8% in 2010.
http://www.economist.com...
Now if this is the case how will learning the Chinese language be more beneficial to people when there GDP will continue to drop in years to come.
"And because of China is a member of the WTO; it is no doubt that china play a very important role in the global economy nowadays. Most probably you will need to work with Chinese companies in every business sectors. There is a urgent need to learn Chinese." This can be said about many countries. The fact is China is not the only country in the World Trade Organization. China only plays a part in the languages of the world, an even smaller part then English due to Chinese being specific to the country of China. English is not held too one country, in fact many countries have English as there primary language, and if not there primary then it is there secondary language. China is a useful language, but you cannot overlook the necessity of learning English. Also due to the out of control birth rate of Chinese males in China, you cannot expect Chinese population to be maintained in years to come. With the birth of so many boys, and so little girls, the population of China will decrease dramatically reducing the need to learn China as a language.

This has been my first arguement against the resolution "Chinese is more important than English recently". Remember he does not ask me to prove English is more important than Chinese, but I believe I have.

That's all folks.
lamhoikei

Pro

First before I go on, I would like to thank you my opponent for debating me.

To begin with, I would like to address one of the things my opponent has stated in his argument." many predict China's GDP to fall to 7.5% in 2009 and even further, 5.8% in 2010. Now if this is the case how will learning the Chinese language be more beneficial to people when there GDP will continue to drop in years to come." But, The Economist and other press also predict China is moving to the centre stage of the global economy and the China economy size is larger than some countries which put English as the first language, such as US and UK.
http://www.economist.com...
There is an urgent need to learn Chinese in order to earn Chinese people money, People can benefit from learning Chinese with no doubt.

Besides, China is a huge export market for the US. 1/5th of the world's population lives in China. Overseas Chinese dominate the economies of many countries in Asia, and speaking Mandarin gives you an edge in doing business with them. Countries with large overseas Chinese populations include Singapore, and Malaysia. Trade is not only from China to the US, but also the other way.

As China's influence in the global economy is growing rapidly, the needs of learning Chinese is co responsively growing. And, today, many people around the world want to learn Chinese, not because their curiosity, but it is necessary to do so. Just like Tang Dynasty in Chinese history, because of china is prosperous and strong at that time, many people from other countries which on the land of Asia and Europe, whom want to trade with china, all they need is to learn Chinese.

Chinese will soon become the most popular language, though English is popular among the people right now .I would like to rasie a question to my opponent, would you use a language to communicate with your friends for fun, or a language that bring you money to eat ?

Mr.Alex

Con

First I would like to address my opponents first standing point that "There is an urgent need to learn Chinese in order to earn Chinese people money, People can benefit from learning Chinese with no doubt." Yes, no doubt you can benefit from learning Chinese, but you can also benefit from learning a variety of other languages. And since the resolution states that "Chinese is more important than English recently" we are not dealing with benefit, but importance. Learning Chinese is not more important than learning English, because as I have previously stated, to this day there more English speaking countries then Chinese. So if you were wishing to expand your trade barriers with a language, you would do better to learn English because you will then be open to a larger amount of countries. Now see how the numbers of English dominated countries weigh in against Chinese speaking countries. You will see the difference.

http://wiki.answers.com...

My opponent's second standing point is indisputable China is a major power in the world of economics and trade. Again no doubt that learning Chinese to be able to trade with China will be important, but it still cannot be placed above the importance of learning English. If we have a French student who is given the choice to choose between learning English or learning Chinese, I do not doubt he would choose English. Simply put English is better for diversifying your language boundaries. More national entities speak English therefore it is more beneficial and important for one to learn that language. In a global economy you cannot deny that English is as important, if not more important, then Chinese. In fact 98% of the United Kingdom speaks English, along with 76% in Canada, and 83% in America. With these numbers as is, the importance of learning English cannot be disputed as well.

Trading with China is, and will be, an important factor in determining a countries economic status, but you just cannot deny the overwhelming importance of learning how to speak Chinese. Also my opponent broaches the topic of China's rapid growth, but the steady hand America and the UK have had in the economic market is really the greater of the two. Also his example of the Tang Dynasty is irrelevant to this debate because (a) That was over1500 years ago, and this resolution poses the word "recently" and (b) we did not have as much globalization back in that time period, so it's relation to the economics of today is questionable.

To answer my opponents last question, I would choose the language that let me speak with more people in a given part of the world. I would choose the language that let me have a better future, and I don't think that my opponent has proved that Chinese is the language that can help you more than English will.

Thank you and Good luck I look forward to your response.
lamhoikei

Pro

First of all, I would like to point out some errors from my opponent's statement:

(1) I am questioning the authenticity of your source (http://wiki.answers.com...) this is not a official site or authentic organizations' site, and the answer only contains six wordings. I have no idea why my opponent posted this web site as reference. There's not just two countries take Chinese as official language. Besides China, Hong Kong, Macau, Republic of China; Mauritius and Canada take Chinese language as regional language.
Which simply means Two biggest in size and largest population countries use Chinese (Canada and China).

(2) "No doubt you can benefit from learning Chinese, but you can also benefit from learning a variety of other languages." My opponent stated. The simple matter of fact is we cannot benefit much in the trades to other countries besides China, because China is the factory of the world http://www.csmonitor.com... .

(3) "The steady hand America and the UK have had in the economic market is really the greater of the two." Please do not forget banks in both of these two countries, US and UK , collapsed one by one, but how about China? None of the banks in China close down. The influence of both countries is decreasing, but it growing rapidly in china.

(4) "Also his example of the Tang Dynasty is irrelevant to this debate because (a) That was over1500 years ago, and this resolution poses the word "recently" and (b) we did not have as much globalization back in that time period," I addressed the history of China, because I would like to concretize how big the influence of China recently and China is used to be a strong nation.

Lastly, I would like to quote one of the Jim Rogers‘s words, "Let your kids to learn Chinese is the most valuable present to them." Regard to my opponent's answer of my question, I do believe that the majority of the people don't want to lose their jobs.

Thank you !
Mr.Alex

Con

To his contention (1) - My opponent is also using wikipedia so I do not understand how he can question it's authenticity. To answer his question, I posted that site as a reference to show that Chinese is not as "branched out" as my opponent would lead to you believe. Also to his first contention Canada does not have the largest population. Also 76% of Canada uses English as it's primary language, so my opponents point "Which simply means Two biggest in size and largest population countries use Chinese (Canada and China)." is incorrect.
http://geography.about.com...

To his contention (2) - Saying that we cannot benefit unless we trade with China is ridiculous. "The simple matter of fact is we cannot benefit much in the trades to other countries besides China, because China is the factory of the world" The fact is that China is not the only country we trade with. Granted China makes up a great amount of trade throughout the world, but English speaking countries still have more trade revenue then Chinese.

To his contention (3) - If you'll notice the majority of China's trade is with English speaking countries. Now when a major power such as the U.S or the UK has a downturn, the rest of the world follows suit. It was not long after trade decreases in America that the world saw likewise decrease in trade. The same goes for the U.S stock market, we crashed the world crashed.

To his contention (4) - My opponent has not told us how he"concretize how big the influence of China recently" is so I still stand that his Tang Dynasty example is irrelevant to this debate. And to his last words "I do believe that the majority of the people don't want to lose their jobs." Just because a person does not speak Chinese does not mean he will lose his job.

Thank you for the debate, I had a great time.
Posted by bthr004 8 years ago
bthr004
"I would like to rasie a question to my opponent, would you use a language to communicate with your friends for fun, or a language that bring you money to eat ?"

--Money to eat? You seem to forget, we are the ones supplying the food,... China needs us to grow food for THEM, not the other way around.
Posted by lamhoikei 8 years ago
lamhoikei
I can definitely learn from your comments, so Please post your voting log, and make sure no vote bombing is going on, just like Mr.Alex said. = )
Posted by Mr.Alex 8 years ago
Mr.Alex
Hey everybody if you could please post your voting log like KRFournier did it would be greatly appreciated. We just want to make sure no vote bombing is going on.

Thank You.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
The burden was on Pro to show that Chinese was more important than English. He did an excellent job showing how Chinese is an emergent business language, but Con did an even better job showing that it's not yet more important than English.

Perhaps this debate will play out differently in a few more years...

I voted Con for more convincing argument and better spelling and grammar. Conduct and sources was a tie.
Posted by paramore102 8 years ago
paramore102
Last year I took a year of German and little did I know that it was going to be cut it from our school. They only offered Spanish and German; I speak Spanish so my thought was ill take German and know a third language. I only took one year of German before it was cut, they surprising part was that they cut German and were offering Mandarin Chinese. Our principal went all the way to china to find a teacher and see how their culture was like. Chinese is becoming a language that we need to accept weather we like it or not, because of technology we need to accept the changes and we need to see that language will change right along with it
Posted by lamhoikei 8 years ago
lamhoikei
Mandarin and Cantonese is generally called "CHINESE" or verbal chinese, actually there are thousands of dialets, but they are all based on the same written language.
Although I am a Canadian Chinese, but I know both Mandarin and Cantonese, and knowing that the main difference is the wording oreders of them may not the same.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
RE:

"Mandarin" and "Cantonese" are not "dialects" of "Chinese", they are completely different LANGUAGES originating from the SAME PEOPLE from the SAME COUNTRY. You can't take "Chinese" as a foreign language, you take "Mandarin" as a foreign language. Talk to anyone who knows anything about China and tell them you speak Chinese. If they're not your best friend, they should laugh at you. If they are your best friend, they should be rolling around on the ground.
Posted by lamhoikei 8 years ago
lamhoikei
I've asked my bro. He said is hard to debate that chinese is more important. = =".
SIGH. It Really takes time to think about .
Posted by Mr.Alex 8 years ago
Mr.Alex
@Rezzealaux: Chinese is a language, it just has many off branches and dialects.
Posted by InquireTruth 8 years ago
InquireTruth
There are quite a few types of Chinese languages actually.
Vote Placed by paramore102 8 years ago
paramore102
lamhoikeiMr.AlexTied
Vote Placed by Mr.Alex 8 years ago
Mr.Alex
lamhoikeiMr.AlexTied
Vote Placed by sourheaarts 8 years ago
sourheaarts
lamhoikeiMr.AlexTied
Vote Placed by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
lamhoikeiMr.AlexTied