DebateKing9908
Blade-of-Truth

Chinese teenagers should complete high school in China

Blade-of-Truth

DebateKing9908

Pro

we define Chinese teenagers as an ethnical Chinese person age between 12-18, and we are focusing on Chinese student who completed primary in China, and are coinciding study overseas by high school we mean both Chinese local schools and international schools. The goods of Chinese teenagers study in China is to help them understand Chinese culture, shape identity, so they become Chinese and have the values and morals of a Chinese, they will also be able to see from the perspective of a Chinese.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I understand the parameters of the debate, and the subject that is to be debated.

I accept this debate, and wish my opponent the best of luck. Please begin.
DebateKing9908

Pro

first point is that China has a very solid elementary education for High school students.
Elementary education established basic knowledge and skills for students in order to help study their profession further more when they go to college. Moreover, the quality of higher education in China is improving continuously. Meanwhile, its international reputation is increasing. There are many countries that are starting to follow the educational program of China. So why do you spent large amount of money and energy to go abroad which place more burden on you?
Now to my second point, Chinese education is strict and focusing on the acquisition of knowledge.
As we all know, Chinese education does helps students being excelled in math and science which requires convergent thinking. There was a recent international survey of national education standards from OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development). From the survey, Shanghai, the first city in Chinese mainland participated and scored highly across the board. This leads to a reflection of American that the country"s education is falling behind. In comparison, western education gives students too much freedom. In fact, many American students are losing their general calculating ability due to their dependence on calculator. The way Chinese educate with strict discipline, emphasis on rote and hardworking gives students pressure, therefore, most of the Chinese students are becoming more and more competitive and being able to study for hours to achieve a satisfying grade.
My third and final point is there are many international schools in China, students studying in International school can understand their Chinese culture but also become globalized at the same time.
Chinese culture is extensive and profound. As a Chinese, you should understand your own culture first, but to learn and understand western culture is admittedly important too. To be studying in one of the international schools in China allows you to become more globalized as well as to understand your own culture so you will be killing two birds with one stone.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

Arguments

I. China is currently the largest exporter of international students.

In 2012, an article was published by CaixinOnline which was titled, 'China Becomes World's Top Source of Overseas Students'. [1] According to the Center for China and Globalization (CCG) and the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, on September 17th of that year, it was announced that China has surpassed India as the worlds largest source of international students. This accounted for 14% of the global total with the Ministry of Education claiming that from 1978 to the end of 2011, China sent 2.25 million students abroad, with 90% of that coming after 2000.

It was also reported that although most Chinese students studying abroad come from affluent families, the trend for working-class families sending their children abroad is growing drastically. In terms of surpassing India, Chinese students now make up 22% of all foreign students studying in America. The real kicker is the closing of the report which states that more and more students studying abroad are returning to China to start up companies and carry-out scientific research.

With the exponential rise in Chinese students studying abroad or specifically in America, [2] I see no reason why such a practice would ever be called into question for possible termination or not allowed. It is evident that the student who study abroad are returning home as educated and motivated individuals who are starting companies and contributing to the overall improvements of China as a whole.

[1] http://english.caixin.com...
[2] http://www.insidehighered.com...

II. Studying abroad has been a success for higher education Chinese students.

As I slightly introduced in my previous argument, the results of studying abroad in terms of producing contributing members of society cannot be over-looked in this debate. We must consider the fact that China itself, in the first article I listed, has claimed it does not affect them in any negative way. To quote the article, "they are not suffering from a brain drain" by having students study abroad. [1]

This cannot be stressed enough. If my opponent wishes to disallow students from possibly studying abroad, he must show why such things are necessary beyond a doubt in order to maintain his Burden of Proof. Studying abroad is clearly a popular practice among students in China, which means that Pro is going against the status quo in this debate. This practice of studying abroad has been supported ever since 1978, when Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping made a strategic decision to send 3,000 students and scholars from the People's Republic of China overseas for further education. [3] His plan was to rebuild China's scientific community, catastrophically reduced during the decade-long anti-intellectual Cultural Revolution (1966-76) that had just ended.

Now, when considering that this effort was initially started by the government and continues to receive support from the government, while also considering that Chinese students who study abroad are growing in numbers ever year exponentially, it is evident that Pro is going against something supported by many within the Country of China.

[3] http://www.scidev.net...

III. Economic benefit for China to continue the practice of having students study abroad.

The article I shared as link #3 raises a highly critical point to this entire debate. The fact that China is actually benefiting from the students studying abroad economically. What I mean by this is that throughout the article, it touches base on the fact that Chinese state-sponsored scholars who study abroad, still have a majority of their education funded by non-Chinese sources. To quote the article itself,

"Even state-sponsored Chinese scholars rely heavily on funding from their host country. A recent survey of 1,500 researchers who returned to China after studying abroad found that those supported by central government had still received a third of their funding from overseas agencies, while those sponsored by their workplace relied on overseas agencies for over 70 per cent of their funds. Altogether, almost 60 per cent of the cost of training this entire group came from foreign agencies." [3]

When factoring in the previous evidence I shared which shows that Chinese students are returning to China at greater rates now than ever before, it is actually a brilliant strategy. China has managed to pass the cost of training its next generation of scientists onto the West. Now talented people, trained with foreign funds, are returning and generating considerable economic benefits, both direct and indirect.

IV. Taking away that option is not, on balance, a benefit for Chinese students.

With these previous arguments under consideration it is hard to imagine what the negatives could truly be for letting students study-abroad. I understand that it is high-school students we are discussing here, but in terms of the evident success, it is hard to imagine how such benefits being extended to the next generation of high-school students would be a bad thing. I will expand on this in the next round, and for now wish to present some rebuttals which also touch base on this argument.

Rebuttals

I. "So why do you spent large amount of money and energy to go abroad which place more burden on you?"

A nation like China has a solid education program in place, but my opponent is failing to see the benefits of studying abroad. Even if my opponent can show that China literally has the best high-school educational program in the world, it is not conducive for the students to be restricted to just a Chinese education in these modern, globalized times. Some benefits of studying abroad include acquiring key perspectives on critical global issues, rapid development of foreign language skills by first hand experience, exposure to a large network of future contacts and establishing connections across the globe, and the opportunity to develop as a modern citizen of the world who can then contribute and advance in China with lessons gained from international travels.

As I showed previously, it isn't necessarily a burden in terms of cost to either the student or China as a country, and how it is more economically sound for China to send student to study abroad. Isolation from a global education opportunity for the reasons provided by my opponent are simply not adequate nor outweigh the potential loss of growth and success one can achieve in such pursuits.

II. "Chinese education is strict and focus on the acquisition of knowledge."

My opponent attempts to justify this argument by saying that Chinese schools score high in tests and produce better students. This point has nothing to do with ending the opportunity for students to travel abroad. Just because Chinese schools score high in mathematics and science does not mean that there is no knowledge to be gained from study-abroad programs. Clearly, if Western education was lacking as much as my opponent wishes the audience to believe, there wouldn't be a substantial rise every year of more Chinese students coming into America or other western countries to study. I see no benefits that outweigh such a program like studying abroad from his side in terms of equal benefits gained.

III. "There are many international schools in China."

My opponent concedes to the fact that understanding western culture is important, and then tries to balance this concession by saying that international schools in China have the same benefits. The benefits I listed above far outweigh the benefits (or lack thereof) of international schools in China. The point is to travel, experience new lands, people, languages, cultures, and global issues from a first-hand perspective. A similarity in lessons does not mean a similarity in experiences. My opponent fails to see this.
DebateKing9908

Pro

well i see i am not a good debater you win. good debate.... you should find another person who is more good at debate and will make a challenge....
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has conceded the debate.

I kindly accept his graceful concession and wish to provide some words of encouragement.

To my opponent:

You provided strong contentions and have amazing potential to become a highly-skilled debater someday. When I first joined the site, I had no idea what to expect. I spent time studying the arguments and debate structure of the higher skilled debaters and then applied their methods to my own argumentation approach. I would say to keep debating, study the approaches of other debaters, and then apply it to yourself. I have no doubt in my mind that you will be a challenging opponent someday, and will say that the arguments you made in this debate were also challenging to overcome.

I wish you the best of luck in your future pursuits here on DDO.

I accept your concession and thank you for the thought-provoking debate!!
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 3 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Hahaha Ajab... curse you!! (Just kidding) <3
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by Mikal 3 years ago
Mikal
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well BoT, you were right. This debate was interesting. Pro conceded gracefully (I have no other say to say this... sorry Ajab); I admire this because Pro did not let the round just expire, or continue trying to fight out of an argument (which would have ultimately cost more time). This is why I am awarding Pro a conduct point (once again, sorry Ajab...). My good friend, BoT, had provided such a beautiful, intriguing and well laid-out argument. He covered a good range of matters, and also rebutted Pro's beginning argument. I cased the sources presented by BoT (I hope you don't mind that I call you "BoT"), all of them were good and legit sources. To conclude, Ultimately, Pro had conceded so this would mean that BoT automatically wins, but I am not going to award seven points. I will award sources and argument to Con. Con's argument really was good, such a nice style. He is a truly good debater. I would like to carry on writing, but I have reached the character limit, not yet
Vote Placed by Ajab 3 years ago
Ajab
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: I give Conduct to Pro because he gracefully conceded; Con gets the argumentation points because of the concession.
Vote Placed by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
DebateKing9908Blade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conceded.