Forever23
BlazingRodent

Choose The Topic

Forever23

Forever23

Pro

Round 1- list 4 topic
Round 2- I will choose one and you will accept
Round 3- Arguments
Round 4- Refutations
Round 5- Summaries

I will be pro on that topic and you will be con.
BlazingRodent

Con

First off, I would like to point out that Pro made an error. Forever said Round 5 would include summaries even though there are only 4 rounds. My opponent can sort this out, as they created this debate.

Topic 1: Marijuana should not be legal (Since I am Pro, I decided to do a double negative so I could argue for Marijuana)
Topic 2: We should not have gun rights
Topic 3: War on Afghanistan should not happen
Topic 4: We shouldn't have animal rights
Forever23

Pro

I choose Topic #2
BlazingRodent

Con

Since my opponent didn't restructure the debate, I will do it for her. We will be doing everything she showed that we will do, only with the exception of dropping the part where we write summaries.
Forever23

Pro

So since we are doing the debate like this, I would like to change the debate to simply Gun Rights. I will be pro on gun rights and will show why we need them and should modify them.
The Propositions Plan

The proposition does not want guns to be completely banned, so the following is our plan:

1. Make ths use of guns much more regulated. Instead of no gun laws, we could regulate gun rights.

2. In order to make guns more safe, we can give people who want guns "tests". Before they can purchase a gun, the person must prove that they are trustworthy. That will me done by a series of steps which will include a psych evaluation, the reason to own a gun and a license.

3. If the person has passed these, he will be educated on how to prevent accidental homicides and make sure that he knows how to handle the gun properly.

Why Not Just Ban Guns? I will explain.

Contention #1- Banning Will Formulate A Black Market. Restricting Will Not.

[1]Black markets, also called shadow markets, come about when people want to exchange goods or services that are prohibited by governments. Black markets skew economic data, as transactions are unrecorded. Black markets also arise when people don't want to pay taxes on the transaction for legal or illegal goods or services. Some black markets exist simply because people don't realize there are laws they aren't following, such as bartering and not reporting the taxable value of the transaction, or hiring a regular housekeeper or babysitter, but failing to pay employment taxes.

The licensing restrictions that governments impose on numerous occupations cause some workers to enter the black market because they don't want or can't afford to invest the time and money to obtain required licenses. For example, in New York City, one must purchase a license called a medallion in order to legally operate a taxi business. These medallions cost more than $600,000, making them prohibitively expensive for most entrepreneurs. As a result, some people may choose to operate black-market taxis without a license - at least, until they are caught.

Making guns completely illegal will cause the black market to form. The bad men will still get their guns. The way to stop this however is by just implementing stricter policies for gun ownership. There will be much less need for a black market because the majority (the sane) will receive a gun legally. With this formation on guns, the black market would be smaller than one caused by a strict ban.

The black market will only form when majority- sane want something illegal. However, when the sane are able to get the guns, a black market will not form.

Contention #2- Gun bans have been attempted in other nations. They have not worked.

[2]The deadly shooting in San Bernardino happened in a state with some of the nation's toughest gun laws: California bars assault weapons, blocks the sale of large-capacity magazines and requires universal background checks for all gun purchases.

Authorities say they believe attackers Syed Rizwan Farook and wife Tashfeen Malik had legally obtained two handguns and that two rifles were also legally purchased in California. Federal officials say the attackers had large-capacity magazines that violate California law in their SUV.

Since the attack Wednesday at a social service center in Southern California, the state's strict laws and the apparent legal purchase of the weapons have set off a debate over the effectiveness of gun measures and whether getting tougher would help prevent more violence.

California had a full gun ban and that was a complete fail. Regulation- the answer key.To control guns properly would be to give them, but with restriction.

Lets look at some nations that did not ban guns. They placed logical restrictions and their crime rate did fall.

[3]

• Germany: To buy a gun, anyone under the age of 25 has to pass a psychiatric evaluation (presumably 21-year-old Dylann Roof would have failed).

• Finland: Handgun license applicants are only allowed to purchase firearms if they can prove they are active members of regulated shooting clubs. Before they can get a gun, applicants must pass an aptitude test, submit to a police interview, and show they have a proper gun storage unit.

• Italy: To secure a gun permit, one must establish a genuine reason to possess a firearm and pass a background check considering both criminal and mental health records (again, presumably Dylann Roof would have failed).

• France: Firearms applicants must have no criminal record and pass a background check that considers the reason for the gun purchase and evaluates the criminal, mental, and health records of the applicant. (Dylann Roof would presumably have failed in this process).

Contention #3- The Constitution and Its Contents

[4] The Second Amendment is the most important right, because the Second Amendment keeps the government from being able to impose tyranny. Also the Second Amendment gives people the right to protect themselves, without the government being able to take the right away. Last without the Second Amendment all the others are useless, it is a guarantee to the people that we have the right to bear arms, it keeps the government from taking a way our rights, because we can resist.

The Second Amendment gives us the power to oppose tyranny. It does so because no dictatorship would want to come to a country that can resist. Stated in the Cuba Constitution, “When no other recourse is possible, all citizens have the right to struggle through all means, including armed struggle, against anyone who tries to overthrow the political, social and economic order established in this Constitution." This is what our Second amendment gives us the right to do—protect our government. With the second amendment we can fight tyranny, but without it our government could be over thrown.

Completely repealing this amendment will open doors for corruption and tyranny. The amendment was in place to protect us. A logical regulation will not result in a dramatical loss- just a safer society. A ban however, has certain risks that we can not take in order to safeguard our democracy.

The purpose of the Constitution:

[5] The Constitution:

• Creates a government that puts the power in the hands of the people
  • Separates the powers of government into three branches: the legislative branch, which makes the laws; the executive branch, which executes the laws; and the judicial branch, which interprets the laws
  • Sets up a system of checks and balances that ensures no one branch has too much power
  • Divides power between the states and the federal government
  • Describes the purposes and duties of the government
  • Defines the scope and limit of government power
  • Prescribes the system for electing representatives
  • Establishes the process for the document’s ratification and amendment
  • Outlines many rights and freedoms of the people

Dear judges, the propositions plan will be to edit the gun rights to make the society much more safer while protecting the citizens and letting people have guns- as long as they meet the logical requirements.

Vote pro.

[1] http://www.investopedia.com...

[2] http://bigstory.ap.org...

[3] http://www.cnn.com...

[4] http://www.teenink.com...

[5] http://constitutioncenter.org...

BlazingRodent

Con

BlazingRodent forfeited this round.
Forever23

Pro

Extended...
BlazingRodent

Con

BlazingRodent forfeited this round.
Posted by BlazingRodent 10 months ago
BlazingRodent
Forever shifted in her favor, so I crushed her on a debate in my favor to even the odds.
Posted by famousdebater 10 months ago
famousdebater
Also you did end up forfeiting most rounds.
Posted by famousdebater 10 months ago
famousdebater
Fair enough, but I was referencing to irl too. By experienced I meant somebody who actually takes Lincoln Douglas debate at university or policy.
Posted by BlazingRodent 10 months ago
BlazingRodent
I am an experienced debater famous. This is my 5th account.
Posted by famousdebater 10 months ago
famousdebater
I don't like these tactics where Forever changes the resolution to fit her stance. It would be more understandable against more experienced debaters who know how to run a K on it using debate theory but on newer users who have less knowledge in how the site works, I find it a bit unfair.
Posted by BlazingRodent 11 months ago
BlazingRodent
I get it... you want a win.

Fine. I will debate you some other time, and I swear I will win.
Posted by BlazingRodent 11 months ago
BlazingRodent
Ask him
Posted by BlazingRodent 11 months ago
BlazingRodent
He would if we both agreed.
Posted by Forever23 11 months ago
Forever23
Blaze, I would. But Im not sure if he would do it.
Posted by BlazingRodent 11 months ago
BlazingRodent
Can we ask max to delete this? A) I am not good at debating against my beliefs and I didn't know you were going to argue the other side. B) I don't have much time.
Vote Placed by TheResistance 11 months ago
TheResistance
Forever23BlazingRodentTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 11 months ago
lannan13
Forever23BlazingRodentTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture