Cancelled by Instigator
Open Debate

Choose a Topic Debate

Debate Cancelled
This debate was cancelled by the Instigator. If you are bsh1, login to see your options.
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point
Updated: 6 days ago Status: Cancelled by Instigator

I would really like to debate something; it would be a distraction for me and give me something to do in my spare time on the site. I have some topics posted below (with my preferred side in parenthesis). If one or more interests you, post in the comments stating which topic(s) you'd like to debate. If there is a topic you want to debate which is not listed, you can still suggest it in the comments. I will, by Oct. 20th, pick someone to debate, or decide that I am not interested in any of the applications. I reserve the right to accept or reject any applicant for any reason.

The debate will be 5 rounds, 10,000 characters, 10 day voting period, 3000 ELO min. for voting or judge-only system, with 72 hour posting periods. The rules will be my standard rules, though there is some room for negotiation both on the set-up and on the rules.

This debate is currently impossible accept. If you accept without my express permission, I am empowered to get Max to reset the debate and, if he can't or won't, the person who accepted automatically forfeits all points and loses the debate.

1. When the two are in conflict, federal governments ought to prioritize protecting endangered species over the desires of local people (Pro)
2. The "right to be forgotten" from Internet searches ought to be a civil right (Con)
3. On balance, presidential systems of government are preferable to parliamentary systems of government (Con) (This topic may need some rephrasing though)
4. Countries ought to prohibit the production of nuclear power (Con)
5. The US should significantly diminish its involvement in NATO (Con)
6. In federal systems, nationally elected officials ought not be term-limited (Con)

If you're interested, please apply! If you want to debate a topic not listed here, you can still suggest it in the comments. Thanks!
Posted by philochristos 1 week ago
Ooo! I have an idea of what I could argue on your first topic. But that's just too long! 5 rounds and 10k characters. I'll have to pass.
Posted by Dujec 1 week ago
I like 1 and possibly 2 but I'm not sure what you mean by "right to be forgotten." I strongly agree with you on 4 as I used to work in the industry.

@ThinkBig I've been an advocate of euthanasia for terminal patients so a debate on that would be great.
Posted by famousdebater 1 week ago
In our last debate I assumed that it would be solely on the existence of objective morality but that wasn't really a point that we discussed. So I'd be interested in a debate solely on objective morality - as a suggestion.
Posted by fire_wings 1 week ago
I want to do 1
Posted by lannan13 1 week ago
I can do 1,3, or 6
Posted by bsh1 1 week ago
Bumping over spam.
Posted by Wylted 2 weeks ago
I'm done, sorry having too much fun on BSH1's comments
Posted by Wylted 2 weeks ago
Also the carbon tax. WTF liberals, as if we won't export the our manufacturing processes that create carbon to China. Get a brain.
Posted by Wylted 2 weeks ago
If you guys want to really make a good environmental law ban guidos, all that hairspray has to be destroying the ozone
Posted by Wylted 2 weeks ago
The EPA website shows an easy clean up process, but my state law says I can be put in prison if I break a bulb and don't call a hazmat crew. So thanks liberals for making lightbulb clean up cost me 10 grand. Also thanks for the odd California gas canister laws that make it take an hour to fill up my tank if I ran out of gas on the side of the road. Also dam near everyone that uses those cans get confused and spill out some gas actually making them less environmentally friendly.

So awesome policy making skills libs, good job.