Dpowell
superbowl9

Chores are child slave labor.

superbowl9

Dpowell

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance.

Round 2: Pro and Con put in their debates.

Round 3-4: Amendments and rebutals.

Round 5: Conclusion.
superbowl9

Con

I accept. This should be interesting...
Dpowell

Pro

Children are forced to do chores all the time. You may be told that it teaches them to work, and that it's good for them, but the way I view it, they're lying.

Argument 1:
Kids are doing this work with out pay. One would say that their pay is a roof under their head, things that they want, food, clothes, and a place to sleep. But no. A parent is required by law to provide some of those things. Others kids usually get from what they believe to be Santa Claus and their friends on Christmas and their birthdays.

Argument 2:
They are treated like slaves. If they don't do as they're told their either beaten or grounded with the inability to do anything fun while in there until they get done what they were told to get done, or until the parent sees fit. These punishments can take months, to years. These kinds of punishments can be considered solitary confinement, which worsens the matter because being alone for that long can badly effect their mental state.

Argument 3:
Some parents, mostly the drunk ones, beat their kids even if they didn't do something wrong. Some slave owner back in the day would do this to make the slaves loyal and submissive and to teach them. By beating them, they're ensuring that the kid would be more likely to do the work, but it'd be out of fear of pain rather that out of sheer willingness.
superbowl9

Con

As this is the first round, I will refrain from making rebuttals and focus on original arguments.

First off, I'll define some terms.

Slave:
Someone who is legally owned by another person and is forced to work for that person without pay.

[http://www.merriam-webster.com...]

Labor:
Expenditure of physical or mental effort especially when difficult or compulsory.

[http://www.merriam-webster.com...]

Chore:
The regular or daily light work of a household or farm.

[http://www.merriam-webster.com...]

Argument 1: Willingness to work

In the definition of slave provided, the person who is enslaved is forced to work for someone, implying that the slaves would otherwise not be willing to do the work, were they not enslaved. This is not the case with all children doing chores, as many would gladly perform these chores simply to keep the house they live in clean or to make their parents happy. Some even do chores so that they themselves can feel pride from simply doing the task. Others may do it out of the kindness of their hearts. An easy way to show this is by looking at your average college student. He/she will clean, vacuum, and maintain their dormitory, usually because they would like to keep their house clean. Even so, I'm sure not many college students would say that they like doing chores, yet they do them anyways. So who would be enslaving these people? Themselves? Their home? So all in all, children doing chores are not just motivated by their parents forcing them to perform them, but can have many different motives. This means that the children are not enslaved, but rather voluntary workers engaging in a symbiotic relationship with their parents to help keep the house neat and orderly.

Argument 2: Chores as "labor"

In the definition of labor above, it is said that labor requires physical or mental effort (usually when difficult). However, the definition of a chore is the regular "light work" of a household. This does not sound like labor to me. If you need further evidence of this, simply look at some of the tasks that are chores: taking out the trash, sweeping and vacuuming, and even dusting. These tasks take minimal time and effort and should not be considered labor. There are also things that everyone should have to do that qualify as chores, such as doing homework, which kids may not want to do, but adults tell them to do because they know that these things are necessary to lead a good life.

Argument 3: Cost of Living

Children obviously do not pay bills or rent to their parents, even though these parents take care of their children by buying food, clothes, and other necessities for them. My opponent may argue that this is the parents' responsibility, however, I can in turn argue that it is then the responsibility of the child to do chores. This is supported by a recent ruling of the sixth circuit stating that household chores are not slave labor [1]. Children should be required to do chores as a sort of "rent" for their parents.

1. http://www.courthousenews.com...
Dpowell

Pro

Rebuttal 1: Some chores are also outside. Mowing, weed whacking, and clipping the bushes are just a few examples. These you wouldn't let a child do, especially by themselves. Many a parent will tell their kid to go out and rake or do some other physical chore while they sit down and watch a movie or play on their computer. The kid, especially if their small, are doing something that they may not have the physical capability of, but they have to do it anyway. The parent should be out there helping them. One shouldn't tell their kid to go out to do something and not help them.

Argument 1:
Grades can be affected by chores as well. If a child is expected to go clean their room, or even the yard. Depending on how messy it is, it could take away all their time to do homework. Children are encouraged to take at least 1-2 hours out of their day to homework. But if they are told to do a chore that could take a long time, they lose that opportunity. Then they're getting in trouble at school for not doing their homework and at home for not getting good grades. So who's the one that's supposed to be taking the heat (the blame/ chewing)?

Rebuttal 2:
Some parents will force their kids to clean their room everyday, even if it's already clean. My opponent says that some kids willingly clean their rooms to make their parents happy, but would a kid willingly clean a clean room? To add to that, some parents are bad enough to go and wreck their rooms while they're at school, just so the kid can clean. This doesn't seem humane to me.

Rebuttal 3:
Though I agree with my opponent somewhat. Some parents give their children treats for doing their chores. For instance, T.V. time, playing with friends, but the majority of parents don't really care, as long as they don't have to do the work. My parents for instance, feel that children were put on this world to do the work that the parents don't want to do. This is a little humane, but it's still a little bad.
superbowl9

Con

REBUTTAL

"Argument 1:
Kids are doing this work with out pay. One would say that their pay is a roof under their head, things that they want, food, clothes, and a place to sleep. But no. A parent is required by law to provide some of those things. Others kids usually get from what they believe to be Santa Claus and their friends on Christmas and their birthdays."

Pro argues that children are working for little to no wages, which is slave labor. However, his argument is somewhat self-defeating, as he himself states that "One would say that their pay is a roof under their head, things that they want, food, clothes, and a place to sleep." This is perfectly valid, while Pro's negation of his statement; that these things are required by law, is irrelevant. It is required by law to pay workers at minimum, wage, so does that mean everyone being paid at minimum wage is also a slave? Also, kids get more than basic needs for their chores. Many children receive an allowance from doing chores, and it's usually a pretty fair amount for the time and effort required of the tasks being performed. Parents supply a variety of services to their children, so it should be expected that the children help out their parents. I don't understand the relevance of the last sentence (nor does it make sense to me), so I can't really give any input on it.

"Argument 2:
They are treated like slaves. If they don't do as they're told their either beaten or grounded with the inability to do anything fun while in there until they get done what they were told to get done, or until the parent sees fit. These punishments can take months, to years. These kinds of punishments can be considered solitary confinement, which worsens the matter because being alone for that long can badly effect their mental state."

Pro makes a very questionable argument here, saying that parents either beat or ground their children when they do not do as they were told, which is clearly not true, or the majority of children would have been beaten (some quick googles and number crunching will tell you that only around 0.00192% of children are beaten[1]). As for not being allowed to do anything fun, I don't know of many parents like that, and I'm sure you'll agree that most parents want their children to have fun. Also, locking your child in solitary confinement for years is considered child abuse, not an acceptable punishment in society. The same is true of beatings or mental abuse; just look at the recent goings on with Adrian Peterson. Again, if this was happening all the time, we would know about this and we would have a lot more cases of child abuse. There are no such cruel parents out there in the mainstream world that would impose these types of punishments on their own children. Parents do what they think is best for their children, and any parent who does these atrocious things is insane.

"Argument 3:
Some parents, mostly the drunk ones, beat their kids even if they didn't do something wrong. Some slave owner back in the day would do this to make the slaves loyal and submissive and to teach them. By beating them, they're ensuring that the kid would be more likely to do the work, but it'd be out of fear of pain rather that out of sheer willingness."

Yes, this is true, but this is nowhere near the majority of parents, and this has nothing to do with chores. I think Pro might be arguing that chores are what motivates these people to beat their children, however, even if this were the case, we should not be fighting the institution of chores for a couple people who are misusing it any more than we should fight the institution of science because it invented the atom bomb.

"Rebuttal 1: Some chores are also outside. Mowing, weed whacking, and clipping the bushes are just a few examples. These you wouldn't let a child do, especially by themselves. Many a parent will tell their kid to go out and rake or do some other physical chore while they sit down and watch a movie or play on their computer. The kid, especially if their small, are doing something that they may not have the physical capability of, but they have to do it anyway. The parent should be out there helping them. One shouldn't tell their kid to go out to do something and not help them"

This is, in my mind, jut another example of imaginary parents who abuse their children. No parent would give their child a job that they know is too hard for them; you don't see any two-year-olds handling the lawn mower. Parents make rational, just decisions based on their childrens' abilities.

"Argument 1:
Grades can be affected by chores as well. If a child is expected to go clean their room, or even the yard. Depending on how messy it is, it could take away all their time to do homework. Children are encouraged to take at least 1-2 hours out of their day to homework. But if they are told to do a chore that could take a long time, they lose that opportunity. Then they're getting in trouble at school for not doing their homework and at home for not getting good grades. So who's the one that's supposed to be taking the heat (the blame/ chewing)?"

I agree with this, however chores are not the problem here, but rather the excessive homework and terrible school systems we have in place.

"Rebuttal 2:
Some parents will force their kids to clean their room everyday, even if it's already clean. My opponent says that some kids willingly clean their rooms to make their parents happy, but would a kid willingly clean a clean room? To add to that, some parents are bad enough to go and wreck their rooms while they're at school, just so the kid can clean. This doesn't seem humane to

Again, no parent does these things. Also, yes, kids will willingky clean rooms. I know this since I am one of those people. You're creating examples which are not commonplace or flat out never happen. I cannot think of a ingle parent who would purposely wreck their child's room so that they had to clean it again.

"Rebuttal 3:
Though I agree with my opponent somewhat. Some parents give their children treats for doing their chores. For instance, T.V. time, playing with friends, but the majority of parents don't really care, as long as they don't have to do the work. My parents for instance, feel that children were put on this world to do the work that the parents don't want to do. This is a little humane, but it's still a little bad."

I'm glad you agree. Yes, some parents think this way, however that is somewhat justified. After all they've done for you, it's the least you can do, right?

1. http://www.americanhumane.org...;
Dpowell

Pro

I see my opponents point. But I can say that it's not illegal to pay under minimum wage. A friend of mine and lannan13's used to work at Wendy's and he was given only 1-2 day a week to work and was only being paid 3.50. The company never got in trouble, even through all the complaints he probably sent to his former bosses.

Other than that I have nothing else to argue.

All points extended.
superbowl9

Con

Yes, it is illegal to pay under minimum wage. Read this:
http://www.dol.gov...

Extend my arguments as well.
Dpowell

Pro

This debate was interesting and worth our time. Though my opponent had a better argument, I admit to having no resources to back me up.

I would like to thank my opponent for his time, and wish him the best of luck in his future debates.
superbowl9

Con

I agree.
Likewise, a good debate, and I wish you well also.
Posted by lori17224 2 years ago
lori17224
But chores are something kids all have to do when they grow up. Unless they are super rich and hire a maid or butler.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Ragnar
"A friend of mine and lannan13's used to work at..." I believe pro's saying a mutual friend, not you in particular.
Posted by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
I never worked Wendy's never alone fast food.
Posted by superbowl9 2 years ago
superbowl9
Phew! Got that argument submitted with like 15 minutes left...
Posted by AgnosticPanda 2 years ago
AgnosticPanda
on the other hand, chores suck and no one really wants to do them, but people do want a clean house... necessary evil? probably
Posted by AgnosticPanda 2 years ago
AgnosticPanda
hahahaha just wait till you live on your own. you will understand why parents make their kids do chores. its cause they make money, and you don't. Its not like a kid is just some freeloader in some persons house. You don't pay rent sooooooo clean a bit? That't it comes down to. Not saying that bad parenting doesn't exist but... they're chores, you do them as a kid so you know what to do when you support yourself. you know what a clean kitchen looks like and what it takes to make it that way.
Posted by horsemad144 2 years ago
horsemad144
lol i wanna debate this its true its f***ing slavery
Posted by YYW 2 years ago
YYW
This would be an amusing debate to troll.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
You poor baby.
Posted by Dheu 2 years ago
Dheu
I hate chores, but still do them. I feel indifferent about this debate. Should be a good one.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Dpowellsuperbowl9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.