XENIOS
SM2

Christian Dating

XENIOS

Con

Hi, I opened this debate because I wanted to see other peoples thoughts about this topic. The topic is mainly about Christians, If they can date a non-Christian.
SM2

Pro

I assume, given that I'm Pro, that I'm arguing in favour of interfaith relationships here. If I am mistaken, please correct me in your opening argument (if I am mistaken, then obviously I will be arguing the opposite of whatever you are).
XENIOS

Con

XENIOS forfeited this round.
SM2

Pro

Why do my opponents always forfeit? It's really frustrating.
XENIOS

Con

XENIOS forfeited this round.
SM2

Pro

We now proceed to voting.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
Ya, children must be a BIG dividing factor. Never really thought of that.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
I'm speaking more to raising your children. Obviously this should extend to marriage, unless you plan on dating and breaking up with that person. If mom's a Christian and dad's an egoist, then the kids are confused. Who do they listen to? And how do you raise your kids? What are the standards? The parents would carry different ideas for how their children would live. And one of them would have to give up something important to themselves. If the mom wants to go to church, and the dad thinks it's stupid. So she has to give it up, or her husband has to go to church basically against his will, which creates conflict in the relationship. Should they pray before meals? More conflict. Should their children believe in God? Which parent should they listen to? They end up picking favorites based on ideology and thinking the other is stupid or ignorant. More conflict or broken family. When it comes to making big life decisions, it would cause more problems than not to have completely different values.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
I see what you are saying about different beliefs being a potential problem, but hopefully both can learn to coexist and accept what each other believe. They may disagree on some subjects but, if they love each other enough, they should be able to overcome these differences.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Yeah it really does. Two people who believe fundamentally different things don't derive their values from the same place. It's not actually healthy.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
Does it really matter that much? Unless dating a non-Christian somehow affects your faith very negatively, I don't see why not.. I know a couple where one spouse is atheist and the other is Catholic and they are perfectly happy.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Lol good point. Cuz a Christian is literally capable of dating a non-christian, but it's not necessarily a good decision.
Posted by WCBC15 1 year ago
WCBC15
Is this more of a CAN or SHOULD question?