mightbenihilism
The-Holy-Macrel

Christian rap is un-Biblical

The-Holy-Macrel

mightbenihilism

Pro

Christian rap is un-Biblical, and contrary to the ideals of the New Testament. I am Pro this position.

Why, you dare ask?

Before the first Christian rapper rapped his first rap, there were other, non-Christian rappers and they rapped about things that no obedient Christian would spend time listening to. The content of their rap was predominantly evil. Why, then, would an obedient Christian even come up with the idea of Christian rap? He or she shouldn't have been listening to it in the first place.

The Bible says, "Abstain from all appearance of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:22) Since rap normally has evil connotations in society such as marijuana abuse, gangsterism, promiscuity, pride and boastfulness, no Christian should either listen to rap, nor should Christian emulate rap stylings. Even for evangelistic purposes, the ENDS DO NOT JUSTIFY THE MEANS.

Also, instrumental music is not theologically neutral. Anyone who watches as many horror movies as I do knows that they play certain types of music at particularly frightening or tense moments, and rap music is designed to stimulate the flesh with its deep bass lines, 808 kick drums, and repetitive rhythms. Rather, godly music must not stimulate the flesh. Gospel music and hymns are examples of truly godly music. Rap is not.

The Con must prove that Christian rap is Biblically sound, from the Bible itself. Please do not appeal to the consensus of the Church Fathers, Church tradition or personal preference. Bible only. You may use the Deutero-Canonicals but I'd recommend using Biblical Books all Christian agre upon.

The-Holy-Macrel

Con

Music is an art. Rap is a type of music. Therfore rap is an art and since it is an art there are different versions or interpretations. One of these is christian rap.

Christian rap is pure because it isn't full of those "evil" themes.
But pro asks: origin?
My awnser: there was probobly an atheist that listened to rap but then god toutches his heart and then he is christian. But what about the rap? He makes christian rap. Some art is disturbing but this is pure.

Therefore it can be altered for good making it non-"evil"
mightbenihilism

Pro

The Con seems to imply that the actual sound of music is theologically neutral. On this basis, I could get one of those demon-voice changers, get a tape-loop of pigs being putchered, couple it with TV static, belches, coughs and sneezes, and random banging around on pots and pans, and so long I was saying "Jesus lives" or something, it wouldn't sound "evil".

That's clearly nonsense. Music has certain emotional connotations. If this were untrue, horror music would need lyrics, otherwise people wouldn't know it was there to inspire fear. The Con can't argue this point, and he won't, because he know he'll lose.

Rap is a genre with predominantly evil lyrics. Changing the lyrics to speaking about Jesus doesn't change this fact. If it gives off the "appearance" of evil, Christians shouldn't do it.

Tell me, should a Christian make a video-game where you're shooting people and blood spurts out of them all over the screen, so long as you're shooting them because they called Jesus a nancey-boy? Murder appears evil, but if its done in a Christian video-game, does that work? Or how about fornication, stealing, lying, etc. Just because you're doing it for Jesus doesn't prove anything. You might think you're doing it for the glory of God, but that doesn't mean you are.

Also, rap is clearly worldly. Paul says, "be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2)

The proof is in the pudding, too. Everyone knows Lecrae, the most successful Christian rapper in history, is watering down his message now.

Read this article, for example:

http://www.onenewsnow.com...

That's what happens, ultimately, to everyone who doesn't make war against the flesh and the world. If Jesus said pluck your EYE out lest it cause you to go to hell, how much quicker are you going to toss your rap career aside?
The-Holy-Macrel

Con

True but it is that percent that ruins its image. But you can call yourself something and be something completely different. There is good and evil, and the real Christian rap is pure.
mightbenihilism

Pro

Con did not respond to my assertion that the tonal qualities of music are neither emotionally nor theologically neutral. Again, if the Con's reasoning were correct, I could take music from an adult film, couple it with the sound of walruses fighting, along with random trombone notes, pitch-shift my voice to sound like the devil, and so long as I'm saying, "Jesus is quite a fellow!", the music is somehow theologically sound. Of course, adult film music, fighting walruses, random trombone notes and a devil voice ALL carry the sonic connotations of blasphemy to the normal way a human perceives sound, but . . . I lost track of where I was going with this. Vote Pro!

Con admits that rap has a ruined image. If its image is ruined by evil, then it must be avoided, for image = appearance and ruin = evil, in this context. This shows conclusively that it must be avoided. Vote Pro!

Thank you, Mr. Macrel, for entering this debate.
The-Holy-Macrel

Con

I will once again state that Christian rap is pure because it is music of god. If it has profanity, bad content, or anything else then it is impure making it regular rap instead of Christian rap. (reasoning in previous arguements.)

Conclusion: Christian rap is not " evil".
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
So JasperFrancisShickadance says on his profile that he listens to "Lecrae", but on his vote it says he was "tied" on who he agreed with, as if he didn't know which side to take.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
Dangit. . . why did I post my 3rd argument as a comment?

Lack of coffee of course.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism

Vote Placed by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
mightbenihilismThe-Holy-MacrelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used common sense and it utterly refuted everything Pro said, although I would've pointed out the goal of Christian rap is to reach out to the Hip Hop culture. It's like a form of evangelism. No matter how hard Pro tried, he could not deny the fact that rap is art and since Christian rap is not evil it is pure, etc. I give this one to Con because of his convincing arguments.