Christianity/Catholicism is at least somewhat good for today's society

In this debate I will be taking the side which I personally do not believe in. Devil's Advocate if some might say. I will be arguing that Christianity can be good for our society.

Rules: The only rule I have for this debate is that my opponent should be respectful to not only me, but commenters with different views.

Round 1 should be used for acceptance
Round 2 Should be arguments cont.
And finally, I would like it if round 3 would be for the opposite sides defense.

This debate will mainly be used for enlightening minds and opening different viewpoints in people. I hope whoever accepts this debate good will and good luck!

I accept the challenge and look forward to a lively and enlightening discussion. As part of my acceptance, I would like to ask that the question be narrowed to specify that "Christianity/Catholicism is ON THE WHOLE a net positive force in today's society." This will allow us a clear, attainable resolution to affirm or deny. I hope this clarification of the question is amenable to the PRO side. I will leave us with Merriam-Webster's definition of both Christianity and Catholicism (as nouns). If the PRO side wishes to narrow the field of debate to the effects of one or the other of these two separate terms within his opening argument, I shall not attempt to use claims or evidence against the remaining term and will consider this to be outside the terms of the debate.

1.the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.

1.the faith, practice, and church order of the Roman Catholic Church.

If the PRO side wishes to narrow the field of debate to the effects of one or the other of these two separate terms within his opening argument, I shall not attempt to use claims or evidence against the remaining term and will consider this to be outside the terms of the debate.

Nels4Tats forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeiting their opening round. Hopefully we see activity upon the next round.

My apologies for the forfeit, I have been quite busy with not only school but with personal issues as well. I hope that you can forgive me for that.

Anyways, I would also like to clarify one more thing. BOP is on me. And I fully accept this challenge. I personally don't believe it as a whole would be good for society, but I will attempt to do so. Also, I agree with the definitions. The only reason why I said Christianity/Catholicism was because of their common belief in a God. Also, I will not be arguing for the existence of a higher deity, but if the religion of Christianity/Catholicism is beneficial to today's society.

Argument 1: Christianity/Catholicism helps the psychological well being of a man/woman.
-Confessing to a supposed "God" can relieve much stress and can offer as a counseling alternative. Being able to believe in a higher power who loves you no matter what you do is a very comforting prescence. After my mother went through a divorce with my biological father, she was in a deep state of depresision and lonliness. Due to her devoted Christianity, she assumed that by going to church, she would be able to ask "God" to help her get past this difficult stage. And because of this mindset, she did get through it. This was obviously not the work of some higher deity, but because of her mindset which was percieved because of her belief that a higher power would help her, she helped herself. Not only through consolaton in a loving God, but through her own hard work which was, as she believed, the work of God.

Argument 2: (I'm getting tired of saying Christianity/Catholicism o I will just refer to it as C/C) C/C sets a basis for moral rules with the 10 Commandments.
-The 10 Commandments basically provides a basis for moral rules. Certain ones such as Do Not Kill, or Do Not Steal, or even Do Not commit adultery are good moral standpoints on living life to the best of what Society can give us. Do Not lie is a good basis since lieing is frowned upon in today's society, however humans are naturally liars and we will contine to lie to what is beneficial to us. Anyways, the 10 Commandments are, at the least, beneficial to our society today. Of course there are pretty bizarre Commandments, Most of them will help an individual grow in society.

I look forward to your rebuttals and as I said before, I wish you Good will and Good luck! And if I may, (since I am debating on this side), May God be with you :D

kventling forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had the best argument (as it was the only argument), however he broke his own rule about being respectful by forfeiting the second round.