Christianity Is Immoral

First off, I am not trying to offend anyone or promote religious discrimination. I am just looking for a exchange of ideas.

Christianity is based on control and judgement. It promotes violence, sexism, and many other immoral actions.

I'm against Christianity, but why not?

Well I am on the Pro side so I guess we agree. I do not understand what you are asking.

I'm playing devil's advocate. Even though I dislike Christianity, I'm going to argue it isn't immoral.

Ah I see. Thank you for the challenge.

Well the Bible is full of hate and judgement. The Old Testament is pretty much a list of who to kill and who to hate. It says slavery is acceptable, it says to judge others, and it says to kill many. This is not moral at all. Although it can be debated that the New Testament overrides the old, the New Testament is just as bad. The New Testament is full of misogyny and judgement. Also, the whole concept of Jesus "sacrificing himself for our sins" is completely sick and dumb. An omnipotent and omniscient god kills himself in order to force the whole world into his debt. It does not make any sense. Overall the entire religion is not as accepting and kind as it claims.

Misogyny, Hate, and Judgement

Well my opponent starts of by stating that there is hate, misogyny, and judgement and for these reasons the bible is immoral. But what my opponent fails to give is where are the examples of such things. Just saying this is in the bible, is not enough. My opponent needs to provide specific examples, so I know what he considers these types of things. I also don"t understand how judgement by itself is immoral, there is such a thing as just judgement.

Pro is disregarding context in which the bible is written and what it is referring to. As we know the gospels are truly the heart of the bible everything Jesus teaches in there does not condone abuse of another by taking advantage. Looking outside the gospel one may find a verse that points otherwise and seemingly contradicts the bible but recall the bible doesn't explicitly condone slavery as ok it just tells slaves how to defer to their masters or may have instances in which one of God's chosen people had a slave. For the first part the bible centers on people being a humble and servile for the glory of God. To always be rebellious isn't always Godlike because God does place redemptive value in suffering. So a slave that is obedient would be pleasing to God not because God wants him to be a slave but moreover because God wants him to show that he is willing to embrace suffering and be humble and servile as a way to glorify God. On the second part slaves in that contact might not have been like the slaves we think of today in human trafficking or transatlantic slave trade. Some slaves were even treated as family members and groomed to sometimes even we'd the daughter and continue their lineage. Even though they are engaged in forced servitude there life isn't necessarily wrought with the suffering we tend to conflate slavery with. Some of them are just children that don't have homes and need a domestic occupation. Therefore this such thing is not immoral.

Jesus" Sacrifice
My opponent claims that the omniscient and omnipotent god kills himself in order to force the whole world into his debt, I don"t really know what pro means by saying that he Forced the whole world into his debt, but depending on the religion, Jesus may not be considered God. In some Jesus is considered his son, and in some just some random wise preacher.

Wisdom over Greed
Blessed is the one who finds wisdom,
and the one who gets understanding,
14 for the gain from her is better than gain from silver
and her profit better than gold.
15 She is more precious than jewels,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
16 Long life is in her right hand;
in her left hand are riches and honor.
17 Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
and all her paths are peace.
18 She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
those who hold her fast are called blessed.

The bible is filled with wise passages and quotes that will help someone guide their life and live by a moral code. For example the lesson in this quote is to be encouraged to find wisdom, and it will profit the person better than monetary things. Money isn"t everything.
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
>Reported vote: Innkeep// Mod action: Removed<

3 points to Pro (Arguments), 1 point to Con (S&G). Reasons for voting decision: It was a good debate wish there was more material involved.

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD, just praise and a statement of regret.
Vote Placed by ForGrowthOfMind 3 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: Although Pro made points about why they though Christianity is immoral, Con gave good reasons against them and had a pretty convincing argument comparatively.