MaskedSpartan
armaggedon_ragnarok

Christianity VS Islam: Which one is true?

MaskedSpartan

MaskedSpartan

Pro

This is going to be a debate on deciding which religion is true; Christianity or Islam. I have taken the pro side, meaning that I will be defending Christianity and the con will defend Islam. Here are the rounds:

1st: Acceptance
2nd: Opening Statements
3rd: First rebuttals
4th: Second rebuttals
5th: Closing statements

Keep in mind: After the third round, no new objections are to be raised. The fourth round is for clarifying and defending what was said in round three. The closing statements are just that, no new arguments or objections, just the conclusion.
armaggedon_ragnarok

Con

It truly a matter of opininon.
MaskedSpartan

Pro

The question of this debate is; what is the true religion, Christianity or Islam? This is an important debate, especially because these two religions are the two biggest and fastest growing religions in the world. I am interested in other religions, so seeing an apologist from Islam will be a treat for me. In this debate I will sketch out three main arguments for Christianity.

The Lewis Trilemma

This argument was formulated by the famous Christian apologist, CS Lewis. Hence its name. Before we get into the trilemma, we have to look at the set-up of the argument. The set-up is this: Jesus of Nazareth claimed to be God. How do we know this? We can look at the first gospel, Mark that was written between 55 and 70 AD. If need be, I will defend this dating later. In Mark’s gospel, Jesus is questioned by the religious leaders of the time with this, ““Are you the Christ (Messiah), the Son of the Blessed One (God)? “I AM” said Jesus “And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.” The high priest tore his clothes. “Do we need any more witnesses?” he asked. “You heard blasphemy!”” In this passage, Jesus makes two powerful claims to divinity: I AM and the Son of Man.

I AM: This is the name of God in the Old Testament. When Moses asked God His name, He responds, “I AM”. This was latter transliterated into Yahweh. In this time, it was forbidden to speak the holy name because it could be seen as claiming to be God. The Son of Man: This was Jesus’ favorite way to refer to Himself. It is a reference to Daniel chapter 7 and Daniel’s vision: “I saw one who looked like a Son of Man coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days (God) and was led by His presence. He was given authority, dominion, and sovereign power; all nations and peoples of every language worshiped Him. His dominion is an everlasting dominion that will not pass away, and His kingdom is one that will not be destroyed.”

In Jesus’ response, He claimed to be the same God as in the Old Testament and to be the Son of Man who will receive worship from all people for eternity. To make it clear that He was claiming to be God, the priest ripped his clothes in anger and called it blasphemy

By claiming to be God, Jesus was either a liar, lunatic or Lord. We can list the argument as this:

1. Jesus was either a liar, lunatic or Lord
2. He was not a liar or lunatic
3. Jesus was the Lord (God)

How do we know that Jesus was not a liar or lunatic? We know that Jesus was not a liar because

It would not make sense given His moral background. Jesus held people accountable to one of the, if not the highest moral codes ever known. He said that if a man even looks at a girl with sexual thought, then he committed adultery. It would be improbable that one who laid out this kind of moral code would be a liar and tricking what is now a third of the world into believing a false religion. We know that Jesus was not a lunatic because of His behavior. We would expect Jesus to act like a lunatic if He was one. But no were in the gospel does Jesus act like one.

It then follows logically that Jesus was Lord. Jesus could not have been a prophet because He claimed to be God, not just to speak for God.

The Trinitarian Argument

This is a lesser known argument for Christianity, it states that a monotheistic God cannot be Unitarian. Before I get into the argument, I want to explain the Trinity. The Trinity concept is this: one God, three persons. I know this is hard to grasp. Think of it this way: what am I, I am human. Who am I, I am the MaskedSpartan. I am still a human although I am the MaksedSpartan and I am still the MaskedSpartan although I am human. The what is God, and the who is The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit. This is not tri-theism. Below is a diagram to make it clearer.

Now for the argument. God is love. God is also never changing, He is eternal. This means that God was love from eternity past and will be love in the future. But, how is this possible for a Unitarian God? Since God existed before the universe, that means that God was love before the universe. Who was there to love? Only God existed, so God loved Himself and only Himself. God created the universe, and everything in it. But, how can God love anything or everything in the universe? If God is eternal/unchanging, then God’s love cannot change. As we saw before, God only loved himself so that means that God would only love himself even though He created the universe. The Unitarian is left with one of two options. Either that God is not love or that God is not eternal. Both would go against the concept of God.

However, the Trinitarian is in no such trouble. Since there is one God and three persons on this view that means that one person can love God while the other person(s) can love the universe and ultimately mankind. This does not prove that a trinity exists, it could very well show that a Binitarian God exists. This does show that a Unitarian God, cannot exist with the traditional description of God.

The Resurrection

If Jesus rose from the dead, then Christianity would be validated. If Jesus did not rise from the dead, then Christianity would be falsified. The historic person of Jesus of Nazareth made the remarkable claim that He was God. He then backs this claim up by rising from the dead. We can list the argument as follows:

1. If Jesus rose from the dead, His claim to diety would be validated
2. Jesus rose from the dead
3. Therefore, Jesus' claim to diety is validated

To back up the crucial second premise, I will give three lines of evidence. The five E’s if you will:

E1. The execution of Jesus via crucifixion
E2. The empty tomb of Jesus
E3. The eyewitness evidence
E4. The extra-Biblical evidence
E5. The emergence of the early Church

E1.The crucifixion of Jesus is considered to be the most trusted fact about His life. This is in very little dispute and has been accepted for thousands of years. E2.To modern surprise, Jesus’ empty tomb was universally accepted by the entire ancient world. The religious authorities at the time did not say that the tomb was not empty. They said that that disciples of Jesus stole the body! Did they keep it in Peter’s basement and hope that the cops didn’t come knocking?! It is kind of funny to think about. The problem with this theory is that the Apostle didn’t have the ability, the opportunity, or the motivation. E3.We now possess an early Christian creed that dates back to, at earliest, twenty four months after Jesus’ crucifixion. This creed list 515 eyewitnesses to Jesus’ post mortem appearances. 515 people claimed to see Jesus after His death. Even more, some of the eyewitnesses were enemies of the early Christian movement.

E4.There is a multiplicity of ancient, non-Christian writing that mentions a religious leader, who supposedly performed miracles, who was called the Messiah and the Christ and who was crucified by Pontius Pilate who was named Jesus of Nazareth. Works included the Talmud, the Mishnah and writings of Josephus, Tacitus, and Pliny the younger. The ancient equivalent on Pliny Jr. These references where within 60 years of Jesus’ life, if not sooner. Lee Strobel, a Christian apologist and former atheist, states that “this is like a news flash from the modern world!” E5.The emergence of the early Church is pretty remarkable. The leader of the movement was executed and humiliated in the capital city in front of thousands people and then 50 days after, in the same city, the Christian movement was in full swing with 6000 plus members. How could this happen if Jesus didn’t rise from the dead. It couldn’t.

By looking at the life of Jesus of Nazareth, we can see that not only did He claim to be God, but that He really was God. Also, by comparing the concepts of God with the attributes of God, we can see that a Unitarian God cannot exist. It then follows that a Trinitarian God is more likely that a Unitarian. By showing that Jesus was/is God, that He rose from the dead, and that the Trinity is a more coherent concept of God that a Unitarian idea, Christianity would be validated. I now turn it over to Con. Thank you.
armaggedon_ragnarok

Con

armaggedon_ragnarok forfeited this round.
MaskedSpartan

Pro

Since my Muslim friend forfeited the round, I won't post any new information. I simply extend my past arguments.
armaggedon_ragnarok

Con

MaskedSpartan

Pro

I extend my arguments
armaggedon_ragnarok

Con

MaskedSpartan

Pro

MaskedSpartan forfeited this round.
armaggedon_ragnarok

Con

Posted by MaskedSpartan 2 years ago
MaskedSpartan
I apologize if I do not get back as quickly as I have been. I am taking a trip to Greece! Yep, right in all of the turmoil.
Posted by MaskedSpartan 2 years ago
MaskedSpartan
Sources: The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel pages 95-121 and pages 303-327. http://www.alwaysbeready.com..., https://www.youtube.com..., CS Lewis vs The New Atheists by Peter S Williams pages 184-192
Posted by ALGHAWI 2 years ago
ALGHAWI
I was going to answer you in islam point of view but i am busy so ill send a link
http://www.answering-christianity.com...

@thewordislife I didn't understand what you mean . You believe in god but you don't think that he gave us a religion?
Posted by MaskedSpartan 2 years ago
MaskedSpartan
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." 1 Corinthians 15:20-21 "But now Christ is risen from the dead, and has become the first fruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since by man came death, by Man also came the Resurrection." You see, in John 3:16 we see that God loves us so much that He walked with us as Man. The Resurrection seen in 1 Cortinthians 15:20-21, was to establish a resurrection of all mankind. God became a man, died and rose, He was the first to do so and paved the way for us. This is the concept of an after life.

I am sorry that you feel that Christianty is white supremecy. I see how that could be viewed here in America. I assure you, the majority of Christians live in Eastern Europe and the Middle East. Not your white supremacy. Additionally, the Bible says that, "God made man in the image of God", Genesis 1-27. By this passage, we see that the Bible clearly lays out that mankind is in the image of God. No exceptions. We are all equal, because we were all made equal. Please feel free to pm me any other concerns.
Posted by TheWORDisLIFE 2 years ago
TheWORDisLIFE
@ MaskedSpartan

" It is a symbol of God's love because, the Christian belief is that God loves us so much that He would die for us via crucifixion."

Where is this in Scripture?

"the Kaaba is in a similar boat as the Cross. Although, I don't see as powerful."

Where in Scripture does it say that the cross is powerful? This is why Christianity is not a true religion, neither is any other religion the "one true religion". Christianity is white supremacy.
Posted by IndependentTruth 2 years ago
IndependentTruth
How about neither are true and it's arrogant to claim that you KNOW your religion is true when it's impossible to prove.
Posted by MaskedSpartan 2 years ago
MaskedSpartan
I understand what you are saying about the Cross and Kaaba. I assure you, as an Orthodox Christian that we do not worship the cross and no other Christian sect does either. It is a symbol of God's love because, the Christian belief is that God loves us so much that He would die for us via crucifixion. I am not a Muslim, but from the Muslim friends I have, the Kaaba is in a similar boat as the Cross. Although, I don't see as powerful.
Posted by TheWORDisLIFE 2 years ago
TheWORDisLIFE
Let's assume God loves everyone.

Deuteronomy 4:28 And there ye shall serue gods, the worke of mens hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor heare, nor eate, nor smell.

Neither Christianity or Islam are true religions. Islam worships the Kaaba stone and Christianity worships a wooden cross, the Bible defines the gods of those religions as other gods, meaning not the GOD of the Bible. GOD never gave us religion.
Posted by Bible 2 years ago
Bible
Muslims do not believe everything in the Bible. They believe the Bible was changed and that the Quran is the last and perfectly preserved book of Allah. However, history shows God has been protecting the Bible from many attacks of Satan even from "Christians" themselves like Catholics that tried to keep it in a dead language. Now, however, it is the most translated and distributed book in the world. Also, no other ancient book is as well attested as the Bible with its thousands of ancient manuscripts that show it has been the same for almost 2,000 years. And the Quran has not been perfectly preserved. Much was lost at the battle of Yamama, so Abu Bakr collected what remained to prevent more of the Quran from being lost, but then caliph Uthman burned these original manuscripts and made his own version of Quran which Muhammad's most trusted companions, the teachers you would go to for the recitation of the Quran, did not agree with. However, they themselves could not agree on what the correct recitation was. Some believed it was missing chapters, and others that it had extra chapters. This is the Quran we have today.
Posted by bomberJV 2 years ago
bomberJV
Well Islam is basically an extension of Christianity being an Abrahamic religion, believing everything in the Bible with the addition of teachings of Muhammad. Suggesting Christianity is true suggests Islam is true.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 2 years ago
Midnight1131
MaskedSpartanarmaggedon_ragnarokTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave some arguments before forfeiting the debate, whereas Con forfeited the entire debate.
Vote Placed by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
MaskedSpartanarmaggedon_ragnarokTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.