joshpleco23
PreacherAndy18000

Christianity and Brainwashing

joshpleco23

Pro

Hello, I am Pleco
In this debate, I shall bare the burden of proof to show you how Christianity uses brainwashing techniques, and why it is wrong.

In the first round, we shall introduce each other and explain what our position is briefly, like I have done above. Then, we shall use the three rounds we have left to discuss the topic. That gives us three rounds to debate, and one round to say hello.

Thank you, and please vote for Pleco.
PreacherAndy18000

Con

Hi Iam Andy and i will be arguing against Pleco that Christianity doesn't use brainwashing techniques as my opponent claims.
joshpleco23

Pro

Before I start with the juicy center of my argument, I shall lie the meat of this croque-monsieur on the soft bun which is the definition of brainwashing.
Brainwashing:
"(v) brainwash (persuade completely, often through coercion) "The propaganda brainwashed many people"
•S: (v) brainwash (submit to brainwashing; indoctrinate forcibly)"
Source: http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu...

Religious organizations of all kinds are known to use persuasive tactics in order to recruit new members. Some congregations shall use motivating or inspiring music during their sermons to manipulate the emotions of the observers, I myself have been a victim of this. I have seen such inspiring events during church sermons, where the preacher uses manipulative tactics, such as telling sad stories, or yelling passionately about his belief. The church will guilt trip you into believing, inspire you, or scare you into believing using the concept of hell.
PreacherAndy18000

Con

first i would disagree that persuasion is brainwashing everyone uses persuaision in some way or another and christianity doesn't use coercion propaganda or force aslo you say use motivating or inspiring music where the preacher uses manipulative tactics, such as telling sad stories, or yelling passionately about his belief. The church will guilt trip you into believing, inspire you, or scare you into believing using the concept of hell.

people use these kinds of persuasion alot and nobody calls it brainwashing for example authors use illustrative or emotional storie alot to persuade people of their opinion but nobody ever calls it wrong people like presidents for example yell passionatly about their beliefs when their making an important speech does it mean he's brainwashing the country no and their not trying to scare you or guilt trip you by talking about hell the its not like their using hell just to get more followers its because they believe in it themselves persuasion is not brainwashing.
joshpleco23

Pro

Well, Christain brainwashing can always be avoided if you don't buy into it. However, if you do fall for it, and immerse yourself in the Christain mind set, they can manipulate your political beliefs, your thinking, and even your actions. It is harder if you were born in a Christain family (like I was) to to break free sometimes, however I will get to this point later.

Christians trying to indoctrinate others into their cause will usually try to convince them by using faulty and bias information and flawed evidence that has been proven wrong (such as the evidence you Creationists use against Evolutionists.) They will also mix with the concept of eternal punishment after death, being hell, in order to frighten the individual into worshipping god, and trying to please him.

Sometimes, the Christain will take advantage of fear, usually the fear of death. People who fear death will sometimes join a religion to escape that possibility that nothing happens after you die, preferring the comfort of knowing that there is a afterlife. These people will follow the laws of the religion blindly, suppressing any doubts out of fear.

Children who are raised into a Christian family are often forced to take part in religious activities, depending on how open minded the family is. Children grow up, with their parents teaching them that the bible is the absolute truth, their impressionable little minds grow up believing in this lie.

The bible itself tells it's followers to submit themselves to god, they do this, they will follow every law that the bible tells them to. They will take their doubts to a preacher or religious figure, and those figures will only manipulate them more.

The difference between an author and a religion, is that a book is often a tool used to spread literary ideas... A religion requires practice, and strict rules which can really effect your life.
PreacherAndy18000

Con

Hello, I am Pleco
i would like to also point out youve done nothing so far to prove what christians are doing is wrong brainwashing as you call it

Well, Christain brainwashing can always be avoided if you don't buy into it. However, if you do fall for it, and immerse yourself in the Christain mind set, they can manipulate your political beliefs, your thinking, and even your actions.

1 as you yourself point out it can always be avoided its just like any other idea you can buy into it or not theres nothing done to coerce you or force you into believing it you always are free thats what freedom of religion is about which we have in this country they can persuade you but nothing more if you do buy into it thats your choice nobody made you

2 i would argue that the false information you claim creationests give is not false although thats an entirely differant topic

3 people who buy into it because of fear are not truly commited anyways their just using it so they can feel good about themselves which christians teach against doing so

4 you say that christian parents help with this to well i don't see your point here whats so different about christianity all religious parents teach their children about their religious beliefs not just christians

5 of course the bible tells people to submit to god whether or not you believe theres a god or not is not the point the authors of it did and they wrote it just like mohamed wrote the quran because they believed in this god and believed they got revelation for him

6 religion is about spreading ideas too ideas about god

in my opinion your just picking on christianity
joshpleco23

Pro

It is immoral because it forces the person to turn away from certain political and scientific views. Congregations usually show a bias in politics and motivate others to join that cause. Children in a religious family are usually forced to turn away from scientific facts, which are already supported and widely accepted in the scientific community.

1. Christians draw members with false promises of salvation, a full and happy life, and a false since that they are right about things (such as the existence of god) which are really outrageous. Even if nobody made them join, if they join they will be pressured by the community to follow the laws of the bible, or will face being shunned by the community. I was shunned by my own parents, so in some rare cases, you could say that it can even tear families apart.

2. Proving the myth of creationism is like proving planet X, you just can't prove it.

3. Which is one of the reasons Christianity can be hypocritical, they use techniques such as scare tactics in getting new members. They also use scare tactics to keep members in the church, preachers have a nack for talking about the punishment of hell.

4. Yes, I agree with you, a vast majority of religious families do this. However, this discussion is about Christianity, and comparing it to "other religions" won't fase me, I'm pretty much against all religions anyways.

5. Which is wrong because it mentally tells you to follow these laws (which were created by man). Therefore, you follow these laws and become a slave to a non-existent deity, and the congregations which teaches you to follow him/her.

6. I don't see how this is relevant.

"in my opinion your just picking on Christianity"
Well, your opinion has very little to do with the discussion... Argue using facts, not "opinions"

I would like to thank my oponet for the debate, and I love him. Thankyou for reading in on the debate! Vote for Pleco!
PreacherAndy18000

Con

1. you assume that the promise of salvation is false and that god's existence is outrageous. But thats a different debate for a different time whether or not it is. They believe these things sincerly there not saying these things so they can get some gain out of it they have no motive to. brainwashing assumes that the person brainwashing them is trying to get something out of it.

2. Thats irrelevant to this disscusion its about christianity and brainwashing you choose it yourself. That debate would be creation vs. evolution.

3. I already said they say these things because they sincerly believe them not because their trying to gain. Besides other religions have a doctrine like hell too but no you choose to pick on christianity.

4. Yes but my point is this destroys your argument you should have said religions and brainwashing. Also not even religious people only do this all parents teach their children their beliefs values ideaologies i guess everyones been brainwashed according to your argument

5. you keep asserting this is all man made but thats assuming their is no god which is not what this debate is about.

Conclusion well we have seen only subjective arguments that christians use brainwashing. Which won't cut it. He hasn't shown any techniques of persuasion that aren't normal that we use all the time for other activities. He also makes alot of irrelevant assumptions so in conclusion christianity doesn't brainwash its followers in fact they teach them to think freely they have no motives for brainwashing.Vote con.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
One "bears" the burden of proof. I don't want to think about what t means to "bare the burden." Dozens of gross spelling and usage errors on both sides, but I'll give S&G to Pro for at least finding the shift key on his keyboard.

The debate question is whether the Christian type of persuasion rises to the level of "brainwashing." I think Con successfully argued that it does not, based upon his observation that other comparable persuasive techniques used in different contexts are not usually called "brainwashing." It's a hard sell, but short of brainwashing.
Posted by Rodriguez47 6 years ago
Rodriguez47
My only say is godisimaginary.com
Posted by burnbird14 6 years ago
burnbird14
I apologize, but is it just me or is this entire debate just rushed and sloppy?

Just because you had a poor experience in one church does not mean that you can apply the same experience to all instances. It's poor form.

I don't think I can vote for either side though. It wasn't well debated.
Posted by Cherymenthol 6 years ago
Cherymenthol

lol
Posted by joshpleco23 6 years ago
joshpleco23
I meant to say I "do not support it", forgive my rushed and sloppy spelling!
Posted by joshpleco23 6 years ago
joshpleco23
No wjmelements, I am do not support it, I just believe they do it. Do you understand?
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
At the moment, he is PRO Christianity and Brainwashing.
Posted by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
"to show you how ChristianITY uses brainwashing techniques" - Pro
Posted by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
@wjmelements

He specified "ChristianITY" not "Christians."
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
Change the resolution to "Christians use brainwashing techniques" or you'll be hit with a semantical argument.
Vote Placed by silverynekochan 6 years ago
silverynekochan
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by beastboy838 6 years ago
beastboy838
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by omelet 6 years ago
omelet
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by belle 6 years ago
belle
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by Teleroboxer 6 years ago
Teleroboxer
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied
Vote Placed by PreacherAndy18000 6 years ago
PreacherAndy18000
joshpleco23PreacherAndy18000Tied