Christianity has been used more for evil than good

It is imperative to understand that this debate is not over whether or not Christianity IS good or bad, but rather that it has been used AS good or bad.

"Good" in this argument simply refers to actions taken that are based on a morally justified basis, have helped mankind grow, learn and evolve or have brought about peace to a person or group of people.

"Bad" or "evil" in this argument refers to actions that have hindered the growth of humanity, brought physical, emotional, psychological or otherwise detrimental affects to a person or a group of people.

I will be arguing on the Pro side, stating that Christianity has been used more to accomplish evil deeds than to accomplish good deeds and help mankind further evolve.

I would like to thank my opponent ahead of time and also to remind anyone reading and/or commenting that although this may be a very "touchy" subject, let's all remain civil. Also, I have decided to change the peraminters for this debate, allowing more words and twice as much time to respond.

I accept the definitions, I will argue that Christianity has resulted in more good than evil.

I'm assuming R1 is just for acceptance, so I'll leave it at that.

I look forward to an interesting debate!

NOTE: I will use BCE and CE, Denoting “Before Common Era” and “Common Era”

My objective in this round will be to give the history of Christianity and thus set an historically accurate backdrop for my future arguments.

1. Pre-Christianity Religions
2. History of Jesus Christ and Christianity

Pre Christian Religions

Throughout history it has been beneficial for conquering armies to force their foes to accept their religion. Because of this many religions are extremely similar, although religions, over time, have died much in the way some languages have been lost. So it is by no mistake that the Christian religion is so similar to the religions that came before it, but when and where did it all start? Luckily, there were a race of people who could accurately and clearly represent their own history: The Egyptians.

Ancient Egyptians, like most ancient cultures, worshipped the sun. In the very beginning of their sun worship days, around 3000 BCE, the sun, and therefore light itself, was “good” and the dark was “evil.” This theory gave birth to one of the first conceived gods, named Horus. Each day and night Horus had to fight off the god of darkness, Set. Every morning Horus would defeat Set, sending him to the underworld. Every night Set would come back and defeat Horus.

Not only did the ancient Egyptians worship the sun, but they were very interested in studying the stars as well. This gave rise to the concept of naming and mapping stars, eventually leading to grouping together certain stars (constellations). But these people didn’t stop there. They gave names to the 12 constellations themselves and even gave each constellation a story. Although the Egyptians did hold these twelve constellation in high regard, at the center of it they truly worshipped the sun. This would be the premise for almost every major religion in the centuries to follow.

While studying the stars the Egyptians, along with many other cultures around the world (including Greece, Japan, Afghanistan, Persia, etc) noticed something that happened on an annual basis.

Every summer the sun is very high in the sky, but as the year progresses the sun seems to lose altitude as viewed from earth. At the winter solstice (Dec. 22nd) the sun reaches its lowest point and stays there for three days, rising again (resurrecting/being born again) on the 25th of December. Furthermore, the three stars in Orion’s Belt, commonly referred to as the “3 Kings,” fall directly behind what is known as the “East Star.”

Because the Egyptians and many other cultures were so passionate about their study of the stars they gave the entire procession a back story. This back story would be copied with over 30 God’s throughout the next 3000 years. Here is the basic story:

The 3 kings (Orion’s Belt) followed the East star to where the sun god (or God’s son) was to be born on the 25th of December. Later in life the son would have twelve followers/disciples (constellations). At the End of the son’s life (Dec 22, when the sun was at it’s lowest point) He would die and be buried, only to rise again after 3 days (Dec. 22-25) and ascend into Heaven.

Yes, the story of Jesus Christ was actually first told by Egyptians in 3000 BCE, but much more would be added as time went on. However, many deities at that time share the same stories that we tell about Jesus even today.

Horus - Egypt 3000 BCE
Teacher at 12 years old
Baptized at the age of 30
12 disciples
Healed the sick
Walked on water
known as the Lamb of God, The Light, The Truth, the Good Shepherd
Died for 3 days

Attis - Greece 1200 BCE
Born of a virgin Dec. 25th
Layed in a tomb for three days

Dionysus - Greece 500 BCE
Born of a Virgin mother on Dec 25th
Performed Miracles
Walked on water
Turned water into wine
known as the King of Kings, Alpha and Omega and others
Resurrected after being dead for 3 days

Mithra - Persia 1200 BCE
Virgin mother
Born Dec. 25th
Performed miracles
Died and was resurrected after 3 days
Sunday the Holy day of worship

There is really nothing special about the story of Jesus Christ when compared to each of these and many more. Many historical websites can show this, but I think that the best source because of it’s clarity is a documentary called “Zeitgeist: The Movie” by Peter Joseph. This is available on Netflix, but I have provided a link to a short clip of it on Youtube. There is also much more information in this video that I will not be going into.

The fact is, it’s easiest to get people to change their religion if yours is very similar. This is why holidays for many religion happen at the same time and also why the events of a deity’s life are so similar to many others. This is why the story of Mohammad in today’s Islamic religion is so close to the story of Jesus’. In fact, other than the names and the rules in each different Holy Book, the basic story of most Gods has not changed since 3000 BCE.

So the stage is set for Jesus. All he has to do is be born so that the followers of old faiths can claim allegiance to him. The only problem with this is that there’s no proof he ever actually existed!

History of Jesus Christ and the Christian Religion

Now Jesus was to have died around 27-33 CE and Christian gospel speaks about Jesus’ twelve disciples walking around with him. As I will show, history tells us otherwise, but why lie? Honestly, if no one is currently performing miracles, walking on water, turning it into wine then there will be no followers. The easy solution? Tell everyone it happened long ago.

The fact is, none of the disciples lived in Jesus’ time. The first time any of the disciples even wrote about a man named “Jesus Christ” was in 50 CE. By telling everyone that this performer of miracles died twenty years ago, one no longer has to worry about the burden of proof. All the gospels were written between the years 50 CE and 100 CE, but were edited often even long after. Still, these are the first records of Jesus' life and they come from people who want christianity to gain acceptance.

Of course this alone doesn’t mean that Jesus never existed. Surely there was at one historian or author in Jesus’ time who would have written a word about this guy who was running around performing miracles, right? No. Although there were over a dozen historians in the Mediterranean area during the time that Jesus was supposedly alive, not one of them mentions him. There are, however, three that mention, “Christos” or “Christ,” but this is only a title, much like the title “Lord” bestowed upon noblemen in the Middle Ages. Even the records of Pontius Pilate himself do not make note of a man named Jesus Christ.

There was, however, one man who mentioned Jesus Christ. This is the man the Catholic Church often points to when scholars bring up this part of the debate. Sadly, Josephus, as he is called, was not an historian to begin with. Josephus was, a soldier. Not only that, but he was not alive during Jesus’ life. Josephus was Jewis and fought against the Romans in the first Jewish-Roman war until he was captured by the Romans in 66 CE, 33 years after Jesus' death. All of a sudden Josephus is a Christian and we have the first documentation of a man named Jesus Christ.

Christianity is not original in almost any way. The entire religion came from previous religions, but the fact that it is a deception at its core doesn't mean that it is used for evil. In my next argument I will discuss how Christianity gained popularity through Rome, how the fall of Rome eventually lead to vast Vatican power and why this power was able to be used to commit some of the greatest atrocities mankind has ever seen.

I thank my opponent for his comments. My opponent has not actually made any arguments, so I will go right ahead and present mine. I encourage my opponent to present his arguments quickly, though I thank my opponent for setting the backdrop :) I’d like to clarify the difference between the Church and Christianity. The Church is not Christianity, though it follows many Christian teachings it cannot be considered the exactly the same. Therefore, arguments involving the Church are not relevant to this debate.

Right off the bat I can tell my opponent will be bringing some wars and murders that were fuelled by religion. However, this is really irrelevant to the debate, because every person will interpret religious teachings differently. For example, Islam does not preach violence and murder. Muhammad himself non-violently ending hundreds of years of war in Arabia[1]. True, parts of Islam will preach violence in order to preserve itself, yet it also preaches that you may not start wars, all violence must be in self-defence, war must end the minute the enemy sues for peace, and decent values must be preserved. [1] Yet we still see terrorist attacks in the name of Islam. These atrocities are not the fault of Islam, the religion, yet the fault of the terrorist. The terrorist’s interpretation of his religion led to him committing these crimes, not the religion itself. Christianity is not USED FOR EVIL in these cases, merely Christianity is an excuse and unrelated to the actions themselves (as the religion preaches none of the things done, and therefore is not even relevant to the actions).

The same can be said for Christianity, which preaches such lessons as “Love thy neighbour,” parables such as the Good Samaritan, “Do as to others as you would have them do to you” and many more, all teach us peace love, and friendship, and most certainly not violence. Violence itself is condemned in the bible and murder is a sin. Thus, any extremist acts in the name of Christianity cannot be blamed on Christianity itself, and therefore Christianity is not responsible for any of those actions.

Throughout history, people have turned to Christianity in order to give them strength. People pray to God for help in dark times. Regardless of whether or not God exists, the very idea of God and Christianity has given people strength to continue on. Throughout history, in times of great peril people have prayed for strength. Roughly 84% of Americans prayed in the last week, and 56% said they pray for family members, while 3.3% pray for strangers. [2] These people’s faith and following of Christian doctrines (love thy neighbour etc.) has made the world a better place by increasing compassion and love amongst people.

These two contentions alone have proved that Christianity is a force of good. I look forward to my opponent’s response!

First of all I will apologize to my opponent. I had originally planned for a debate that would be historically accurate and draw conclusions from concrete evidence, rather than argue less tangible points. Since I did not state this in my first argument I will change my tactics to better fit the debate I’m sure he expected.

He has asked me to respond quickly, but the parameters for the debate were set before he acceptedmy challenge so I feel he should not have objections toward the time I take or the length of my arguments.

At this time I should point out that I do not fully trust statistics that come from a Christian Website. His source,, indicates that 84% of Americans prayed last week. I find this hard to believe as a Gallup poll shows, only about 76% of Americans are even Christian.[1]

Also, he says that individuals interpret Christianity differently and therefore it cannot be used for evil. This is a very contradicting statement. The fact that Christianity can be interpreted differently allows it to beinterpreted in evil ways. I think Susan B. Anthony said it best. “I distrust those who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.”[2]

The truth is that after the fall of Rome in 410 BCE all of Europe was thrown into one of the largest land and power grabs in the history of mankind. Many land barons were richer andmore powerful than the kings of their countries, but they were as likely to fight against their neighbors as along side them. With all European countries having accepted the Christian religion before the fall of Rome, money flowed into the Vatican.

This made the Vatican vastly more powerful thanall ofEurope and the power attracted wicked men as much as it attracted good Christians. Many popes gained their power by killing predecessors and killing or bribing other church officials. One Pope, Stephen VII, even had a former Pope’s body exhumed, held a trial for the remains and after having been found guilty, he had 3 fingers cut off.[3] In fact, during that time there were seven popes within a single decade. While I have found much worse details in this and many other stories, I have decided to site a Christian source to protect the integrity of my argument.

All these evil popes needed in order to gain even more power was an excuse to send European armies to war in order to spread Christianity, which would drastically raise the amount of contributions to the Church. This is where the teachings of the Bible came in. Mainly, the teachings that say to kill non-believers.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17)

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5)

In all honesty, the Bible is fraught with contradictions, but the fact is that there were evil, horrible men in power inside the Vatican. These men used these passages, along with others to wage 7 crusades as well as give rise to the insurrection. Millions died at the end of a sword or on a stakeover the course ofhundredsof yearsto spread the word of God or to purge the soul of blasphemers and witches.Imagine the seas filled with the blood of men who died because of these Bible verses, which were hijacked by some of the most wicked men to walk the Earth.

The men who carried out these orders were not much better:“Raymond of Toulouse we shall learn to admire ...He was one of the most self-restrained and chivalric of the early crusaders; yet he put out the eyes and cut off the noses of his captives, and sent them thus mutilated to their homes, as a warning to their neighbors not to molest the march of the "soldiers of the cross".[4]

Of course the crusades, witch killings, the Spanish inquisition, the Salem witch trials and all the 50 plus torture devices used by the church in these times were not the only ones that were born of a good orator who got his hands on the Bible.

Adolf Hitler himself was a very devout Christian. He was raised Catholicbefore transferring to the Deutsche Christen (German Christian) Church. Hitler often quoted the Bible or spoke about doing the Lord’s work. In one speech he says, “I am convinced that I am acting as the agent of our Creator. By fighting off the Jews I am doing the Lord’s work.”

It’s common knowledge how much he hated the Jewish people, but how else than through the Bible and Christianity could he have gained the will of the people to begin exterminating the Jews? Even if it were possible, the truth still is that Hitler decided to use Christianity to accomplish his own rapacious objectives.

Although there are verses about peace, the simple truth is that Christianity is based on a contradictory book that can be used for good or evil at any time and throughout history it has been used for far more evil than good. This is not opinion, but historically accurate fact.

4. Ludlow, James (2011-06-02). The Crusades (Locations 250-253). Kindle Edition

I thank my opponent for his comments. I also would apologize to my opponent, as I thought this debate would have less tangible points with facts to support it, instead of making points from the facts. I believe there was a misunderstanding with the “respond quickly”, I was hoping that more points would be brought up in future rounds to have more clash and debating.

84% of Americans prayed last week

Even if only 76% of Americans are Christian or Catholic, that does not mean that atheists, Mormon’s, or other people cannot pray. Furthermore, my source has tracked prayer rates since 1993, so that is likely the difference.

The fact that Christianity can be interpreted differently allows it to be interpreted in evil ways.

It also allows Christianity to be interpreted in good ways. Plus, the purpose of this point was to establish that many biblical verses will not have relevance in this debate because of differences in interpretation. This point really renders my opponent’s biblical quotes irrelevant, as many people will not take the Bible at face value, because if you do it is contradictory.

My opponent has yet to prove Christianity has been used for evil. All he has shown you is that evil people who wanted more RICHES committed these things. None of these were committed because of Christianity; the Christian faith was merely more of a side note, not the driving cause. For example, Mao Zedong was an atheist. [1] He committed the worst genocide in history, killing 34 – 63 million people. [2] Therefore, has atheism been used for evil more than good? No it hasn’t, atheism WAS NOT THE REASON why these atrocities were committed, the fact that Mao was an atheist and some of his actions were based of his atheistic beliefs does not mean that atheist has been used for evil. The same goes with Christianity. As my opponent has very clearly stated, Christianity was an excuse to obtain riches for the church. Thus, the arguments regarding how the Church committed evil acts is not relevant to this debate, as Christianity was not the driving factor and therefore was not used for evil. The Pope’s greed, was the source of this evil, not Christianity. My opponent has yet to prove that any evil action taken yet was DIRECTLY caused by Christian beliefs.

Once again, my opponent has yet to prove that the Holocaust was committed because of Hitler’s Christianity. However, this is not the case as the Holocaust was committed because Germany was very anti-Semitic leading up WW2. Hitler didn’t need Christianity to incite Germany to exterminate Jewish people.

My opponent has had a lot of facts, but not many of them extremely relevant to the debate. His facts have more been used to show how Christianity was used as excuses throughout history, yet he has ignored the fact that Christianity was not used for evil, merely the Pope was evil and he used his position of power for evil. In order to prove that Christianity has been used for more evil than good, he must prove that certain wars or events were primarily caused because of Christianity. I look forward to my opponent’s response!

I thank my opponent for his responses, though I did not find too much of an argument to support the fact that Christianity has done good things for humanity.

He argued that, "many biblical verses will not have relevance in this debate because of differences in interpretation." This makes no sense, though. Because Bible verses can and have been interpreted in different ways people have and still do use these interpretations to support their own goals. It is common knowledge that crusaders thought that death in a holy war led to heaven and also that anyone who did not believe in their own God must be killed. (see above for Bible verses). The fact that one can interpret those Bible verses and the fact that people have interpreted them literally means that it has had a real affect on people. That affect led to seven crusades.

My opponent has also argued that atheists have committed genocide. Yes, it is true that one does not need Christianity or any religion to commit horrible crimes, but this has nothing to do with the debate. The fact is that the Bible, and therefore Christianity, HAS been used to inspire people to wage war. Yes, some people in history just said "I want that land so let"s kill everyone and take it," but many have concealed their own desires by saying that anyone against the "soldiers of the cross" as crusaders were called, must die. This is a very clear example of someone (the popes) using Christianity to gain land and spread their faith. This led to millions of deaths, rapes, ect.

Salem Witch Trials

He says that my Bible quotes are useless because most people do not take the bible literally, but some have and do. And when they do, bad things happen. Puritanism, a group of Christians who thought that the only way to eradicate sins in colonial America was to purge their sins through pain and embarrassment. They believed that the devil would tempt sinners and that God would punish the entire community for only a few sinful people. In less than two years it led to over 200 imprisonments for people who were accused of being witches or involved in witchcraft or sorcery. Obviously we know there is no such thing today, but they took the Bible to be very literal, so when they read Exodus 22:18, "You shall not permit a sorceress to live," their INTERPRETATION of those verses led to 27 murders. 26 were hanged and one man was crushed to death by a pile of boulders when he refused to admit he was a witch. Sadly, that interpretation allowed them to be fooled by a group of pre-teen school girls pulling off a hoax.

One interpretation, 27 deaths. but my opponent says interpretations do not matter. I think many would disagree. In fact, that led to many leaving the harsh ways of Puritanism.

The Inquisition

When a person thinks of the inquisition, they often think of the Spanish, but the Spanish were merely the worst of the group. In fact, all around Europe (excepting England and Scandinavia) the inquisition was an integral part of the Christian faith. These Christians were attempting to use torture to convert Jews and Islamics as well as murder blasphemers. These are tortures and murders that were ONLY employed for religious purposes. Now I"m not going to get into a debate about the numbers who were tortured and killed so I will cite a reference from a Catholic Education source that claims in the 350 years the inquisitions took place, "Only 3,500-5,000" deaths occurred. Yea, it"s only at least the number of people killed in the WTC on 9/11. What"s the big deal anyway? The fact is, Christianity has tortured and killed entirely too many people. People have been killed for many reasons, but when it comes to killing over religion no atheists kill because of anyone"s god. They may kill for political reasons, but as far as who"s invisible friend is real atheists don"t care much.

Closing statements

My opponent has already admitted that Christianity was a "side note," for the men who wanted to commit genocides and wage war. I agree full heartedly, but it was, in fact, Christianity that allowed them to do this. I am not saying they wouldn"t have found another way, but I am saying that they used Christianity for their own evil purposes. That is the core of this debate, that Christianity has been used for evil. Through seven crusades, the inquisition and the Salem witch trials, Christianity has been used to torture and kill.

My opponent also refuted my argument that Christianity was used by Hitler, but admitted that Germans were anti-semitic. This is true, and it was a Christian quoting the Bible that led them to kill 6 million Jews. Again, maybe it would have happened anyway, but the fact is that christianity was there and it was used by Hitler as a motivator for the Holocaust. That is how Christianity is used for evil. A ruler wants something and convinces the masses of common people that their religion not only allows it, but wants it as well. Thus, Christianity has now been used to do evil things.

To ensure my point is made, imagine a hunter choosing to use a .306 instead of a bow to go deer hunting. Yes, he most likely could have killed the deer in either senario, but he saw that the .306 was one viable way to kill the deer and he used it. Likewise, a political reason may be used to convince the German public to kill 6 million people, but Hitler saw that a religious reason would work as well so he pointed Christianity at the Jews and squeezed the trigger. Thus, seven crusades, 350 years of the inquisitions, the Salem witch trials and WWII were all bloody wars and/or tragedies where Christianity was used by small groups of men to accomplish their own selfish agendas that led to the torture and deaths of millions of men, women and children.

I thank my opponent for his comments.

Yet, it is true that one does not need Christianity or any religion to commit horrible crimes, but this has nothing to do with the debate.

However, this has everything to do with the debate. Under my opponent’s logic, anything can be regarded as a force of evil. For example, let’s hypothetically say that the Holocaust was not caused by anti-Semitism, but rather because Jewish people ate Fruit Loops while Germans ate Frosted Flakes. Hitler used this information to eradicate Jews in Germany, because they ate different cereal which the Germans hated. Therefore, cereal would be evil, would it not? Cereal HAS been used to INSPIRE people to wage war. This is an important point that my opponent should address in his final comments, as this really knocks down most of my opponent’s examples. ANYTHING CAN and WILL be used FOR EVIL, MAKING EVERYTHING EVIL.

Salem Witch Trials

Once again, let’s say that the Witch Trials were caused because people carried around pen’s, and a sect of eraser carriers thought that whoever carried pens was scary and needed to be killed. Therefore, erasers are evil. Anything can be used for evil, so everything is evil. This is clearly not the case. Furthermore, the Witch Trials were hypocritical and do not reflect all of the Bible’s teachings accurately.

Same logic. The Inquisition might’ve been caused by whole-wheat bread, therefore whole-wheat is evil.

This has been a good debate so far, yet my opponent has not refuted the point that people will pray for guidance and attempt to live virtuously to enter heaven. All my opponent has shown you is that Christianity has been used for evil, BUT ANYTHING can be used for evil, so therefore everything is evil. This is clearly flawed, and therefore I have fulfilled my BOP and my opponent has not. I look forward to the final round of debate!

Thank you to my opponent for his comments, but I fail to see his logic. Apparently since Christianity can be used as evil everything must be evil. I'm not going to waste time attempting to respond to this. Also, My oppenent has failed to show how Christianity has helped mankind in any way, shape or form. Bottom line is that when a fictional book says something is bad Christians often think it justifies their beliefs that people who do bad things need to die.

Christian Eric Rudolph bombs abortion clinics, etc.[1]

Christians in Northern Ireland and Ireland can't even find peace when they believe in the same God and Savior, but different ways to pray to their imaginary friends. [2]

I could probably go on for awhile, but Christians killing themselves over who's way to praise God is better is sort of hard to beat. Bottom line is this:

Science has brought us a lot of great things. Everything from anti biotics to landing on the moon we owe to science, but it wasn't always ok to study science. I find it no coincidence that when the Christian churches had their largest stranglehold on Europe scientific discovery came to a screeching hault. We of course refer to this as the "dark ages." The time when one could be killed for believing that the Earth revolved around the sun.

Furthermore, I think it is extremely sad that the Church and creationists all over still, to this day think it is ok to teach our children things they know are wrong. When I was in Sunday school I was given a pamphlet that I still remember. I commited what it said to memory. It read "About 6,000 years ago Dinosaurs ate all the food on Earth so they dug deep under ground to find more food, but they became trapped in the holes and starved." Yes, the Catholic Church I attended thought it was ok to teach 7 year olds that.

That's not even the worst. There is a picture I saw that shows and Exhibit at the Kentucky Creationist Museum. A plaque says that because alligators and crocodiles were around when dinosaurs were here and they are still alive with humans today it is not hard to believe that humans once lived along side dinosaurs. I've provided a link to their website so you can see the garbage they feed children.[3]

It might not kill anyone to teach them stuff we know never happened, but it slows the world from moving forward. Had it not been for the Christian oppression of science in the middle ages, some scientists believe we might be 1,000 years more advanced. Even if that is a biased or overly generous opinion, slowing humanity by even a decade, in my mind, is immoral. To stop people from learning so that you can have more power is wrong and it has been at the top of the Christian Churches agenda since it was invented.

Furthermore, the Alexandria Library was burned by Christian extremism.[4] The greatest collection of ancient archives, which included plans for a LIGHT BULB (yea, they had the knowledge, but not the tools to actually invent it) as well as gliders, was lost. The Christianities stranglehold on humanity and the progression of the human race is the longest and bloodiest history in the world and the only legacy that can come close is the similarily bloody Islamic history. Science has taken us to the moon and Mars. It has sent probes out to Pluto and allowed us too peer close enough to an object to see its DNA. Christianity has done nothing but slow it down and, in our darkest age, kill anyone who attempted to do these miraculous things.

All this and the greatest thing the Church gives us is prayer. Personally, I find nothing so narcissistic as thinking that the sun and the earth and all the animals and fish and plants were all put here for humans. Furthermore, that God would love me specifically and answer my prayers to find my car keys when I'm going to be late for class, but some starving kid in Ethiopia is just forgotten. There is nothing more selfish than a person who believes that the entire universe is here for them and God wants to have a personal relationship with them while forgetting the suffering of others.

The fact that people are willing to forget the sufferings of another human because that person will have a better deal in the next life is a selfish and horrible thing, but Christianity, among other religions, allows us to be feel justified in doing nothing to help people who need it. That, in itself is an evil thing in my mind.

In summation, whether it's stopping scientific and human progress, confusing children, killing or torturing people or just allowing people to feel justified in letting others suffer, Christianity has done far too much evil to be considered a "good" institution or religion. It's only saving grace is that there are many good people who happen to be christian, but that does not mean they would be bad people without it.

ishallannoyyo forfeited this round.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 3 years ago
The church has been the largest patron of science since the beginning of time, primarily astronomy...

Just because some of their beliefs are wrong doesn't mean the beliefs are evil either.

My logic essentially was: Christianity is used for evil. ANYTHING can be used for evil. Therefore, is everything evil? Christianity is not being used for evil, it's evil people twisting the faith.

I'm an atheist though, so w/e. :P
Posted by ishallannoyyo 3 years ago
I apologize for forfeiting, I was away for the weekend.
Posted by errya 3 years ago
Mussolini wasn't exactly a nice guy, but he didn't commit genocide. In fact, he only had a mere 5 of his political and ideological opponents killed.
Posted by wildcard173 3 years ago
Thank you StevenDixon, though I was hoping he would take that same premise and attempt to build an argument from it. I would have received an easy win from such a debate.
Posted by StevenDixon 3 years ago
"Let's not forget the largest genocide in history was committed by an Atheist (Mao Ze Dong) and also while we're at it, Stalin, Mussolini, and Ricky Gervais."

This would be a good statement if he said "I believe christians have done more harm than good", but he said christianity. None of these atrocities were committed for atheism, but in order to increase state power.

"Lets not forget the largest genocide in history was committed by someone with hair, and also while we're at it, Stalin, mussolini, etc"
Posted by wolfman4711 3 years ago
i would accept this but.. i dont want to
Posted by TheBatman 3 years ago
On what basis do you deem something good or evil?
Posted by vbaculum 3 years ago
lol, Ricky Gervais
Posted by wildcard173 3 years ago
MassiveDump, if you are willing to comment then surely you are willing to join this debate. I'd be glad to address any of your arguments in the debate. Otherwise you words are nothing more than footnotes.
Posted by MassiveDump 3 years ago
Let's not forget the largest genocide in history was committed by an Atheist (Mao Ze Dong) and also while we're at it, Stalin, Mussolini, and Ricky Gervais.