Free_Th1nker
rajnishncode

Christianity, including all of its denominations, is a cult

Free_Th1nker

Free_Th1nker

Pro

First round acceptance; the rest is a fluid debate.

-------

I will be taking the position that Christianity, including all its denominations, are cults.

Con will take the position of saying that at least one denomination of Christianity, or Christianity as a whole, is not a cult.

Definitions:

Cult: a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies; an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially asmanifested by a body of admirers.

Christianity: the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.

Denomination: a recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.

For clarification, Mormonism is not a denomination.

-------

If anything about the debate is unclear, or could use rewording, leave a comment and I will make suggested changes.

That what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence.

rajnishncode

Con

teste tets test
Free_Th1nker

Pro

Definiton of cult: http://dictionary.reference.com...

Definition of Christianity: http://dictionary.reference.com...

Defition of denomination: Google "definition of denominations"

There is no official method of recognition of the denomination, so any religion that fits the definitions of Christianity and denomination will be considered recognized. Mormons will not (although I don't think you could make the case that they are not a cult) because they are henotheists, not monotheists.

I believe the definition of cult as posted above explains Chrisitianity and its denomations excellently. A number of Biblical passages reference worship of God:

2 Kings 17:38-39
Do not forget the covenant I have made with you, and do not worship other gods. Rather, worship the LORD your God; it is he who will deliver you from the hand of all your enemies."

Psalm 86:9-10
All the nations you have made will come and worship before you, O Lord; they will bring glory to your name. For you are great and do marvelous deeds; you alone are God.

Revelation 14:7
He said in a loud voice, "Fear God and give him glory, because the hour of his judgment has come. Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water."

The verses above were taken from (http://www.biblestudytools.com...)

Furthermore, the worship of God references ceremonies established in the Bible:

1 Chronicles 16:23-25
Sing to the LORD, all the earth; proclaim his salvation day after day. Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples. For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise (http://www.biblestudytools.com...)

As anyone who has been to church will know, singing songs of praise is a very common occurrence.

1 Corinthians 11:26 ESV

For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. (http://www.openbible.info...)

Taking communion is a ceremony of the Catholic Church and is fulfilled despite its cannibalistic symbolism.

-----

From these examples, we can clearly see that Christianity and its denominations act in ways that earn them the descriptor of "cult."

rajnishncode

Con

rajnishncode forfeited this round.
Free_Th1nker

Pro

I maintain my position.
rajnishncode

Con

rajnishncode forfeited this round.
Free_Th1nker

Pro

I maintain my position.
rajnishncode

Con

rajnishncode forfeited this round.
Posted by pivot 2 years ago
pivot
Joseph Caiaphas would say yes and he was an expert.
Posted by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
that definition of cult comes from dictionary.com. I apologize for no thinking the site, I'll edit that right now. Mormonism does not count because it is not recognized as a denomination because they have a lot of view that do not align with Christianity. I just put it in for clarification because that is a commonly debated topic.
Posted by rajnishncode 2 years ago
rajnishncode

-------

Definitions:

-------

Posted by Brendan_Liam 2 years ago
Brendan_Liam
recognized by whom? And if you know this doesn't include mormons, please state why not that one, and which others-that really complicates it. Please elaborate.
Posted by zdownum 2 years ago
zdownum
I am casually interested in participating in this debate, but I have a few questions.

Firstly, could a more precise (less general) definition of cult be used for this debate, or is the current definition all that can be worked with?

Secondly, what exactly is sufficient evidence? I only ask so I know what will be the baseline that we can use in order to state that our opponent's claims are or are not backed up by evidence (i.e. what is credible evidence to use in this debate)?
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
Free_Th1nkerrajnishncodeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture