MyNameIsJustin
Lupricona

Christianity is False

Lupricona

MyNameIsJustin

Pro

Topic: Christianity is False

Disclaimer: Some people seem to confuse Christianity with theism. I am here to prove that Jesus is not God/The Son of God. I am not an atheist, and that is not the case I am fighting for.

Round 1: Acceptance Only
Round 2: Opening arguments (no rebuttals)
Round 3: Rebuttals/Conclusions
Lupricona

Con

I accept the debate.
MyNameIsJustin

Pro

Jesus never claimed to be God. Give me one passage in the New Testament where he did.

Jesus only preached to his nation. If he were god, why didn"t he preach to all of mankind?

"Mat 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

Early Christians didn"t even believe he was God.

Mat 16:15-16 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

The Son of the living God. Not God, not a part of God.

Jesus contradicts himself

Mat 16:13
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

Here it states Jesus is the son of man. Pslams 146 states to not trust the son of man.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Jesus had a God. How does Jesus have a God if he is a part of God/God himself?
Matthew 26:36-44
36. Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and he said to them, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."
37. He took Peter and the two sons of Zebedee along with him, and he began to be sorrowful and troubled.
38. Then he said to them, "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me."
39. Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
40. Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Could you men not keep watch with me for one hour?" he asked Peter.
41. "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."
42. He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."
43. When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy.
44. So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing.

Why does he pray to a God if he is God? Does God have a God or is he praying to himself? Both of them do not make sense.

That is all. Thank you for accepting the debate and I can"t wait to read your opening arguments.
Lupricona

Con

Christianity is probably true, based on the historical evidences and multiple facts that scholars agree about.

There are 12 historical facts that secular (non-christian) critical scholars agree to. They are (1):

-Jesus died by crucifixion.

-He was buried.
-His death caused the disciples to despair and lose hope.
-The tomb was empty (the most contested).
-The disciples had experiences which they believed were literal appearances of the risen Jesus.
-The disciples were transformed from doubters to bold proclaimers.
-The resurrection was the central message.
-They preached the message of Jesus’ resurrection in Jerusalem.
-The Church was born and grew.
-Orthodox Jews who believed in Christ made Sunday their primary day of worship.
-James was converted to the faith when he saw the resurrected Jesus (James was a family skeptic).
-Paul was converted to the faith (Paul was an outsider skeptic).

There are three possible scenarios: The early disciples all had hallucinations of Christ at different times and places and were convinced that it was real; The early disciples hid Christ's body from the tomb, spread the lie that he was resurrected, and were tortured and killed to protect that lie; or Christ was resurrected by God and this is what the apostle's saw and preached.

The apostles directly denied that what they saw were hallucinations. (2) This either leaves the apostles lying and then dying for that lie, or the resurrection actually happened. I argue that Christ was really resurrected by God, because it is not reasonable to believe that they lied. If anyone objects to this (like my opponent), then they must give a motive for why the apostles would be tortured and killed for the lie- what was their benefit? Also, examples must be given for people who died protecting something they knew to be a lie (not examples of people dying for what they believe to be true, but what they definitely knew was false). If these two problems are not refuted, one must conclude that Christ was resurrected by God.

Also, given that Christianity spread so much across many different religions and cultures show that at least the original disciples were believed by many to be sincere and credible. If these original disciples were victims of hallucinations or trickery, how was it that the religion spread so much as it did?

(1) http://www3.telus.net......
(2) Luke Chapter 24

MyNameIsJustin

Pro

I have no rebuttals. I agree 100%, as I personally view Christ as a prophet. Con made no arguments that Jesus is God, but only proved that he is divine.

In conclusion, Jesus is not God. He never claimed to be God, nowhere in the NT does it say he is God, and none of his early followers believed he was God either. He prayed to God, not himself.
Lupricona

Con

I also agree with my opponent 100%. Jesus was a prophet of God, and Jesus did not claim to be God Himself.

However, Jesus did claim to be the Son of God. He claimed to be the promised Messiah. This is what historians agree that Jesus was crucified for. If Jesus truly was the Messiah, and the final propphet of God, then Christianity is true.

If Jesus was just another prophet of God, and Christianity is not true, then why did all the original disciples give up their lives for the belief in Christianity?

The best explanation of history for how Christianity spread the way that it did is if the original disciples truly were convinced of the claims that they were preaching. Now, what they were claiming was that Jesus was the Messiah of God, and was truly resurrected.
Posted by ChadIrvin 11 months ago
ChadIrvin
Con made a more convincing argument when he talked about scholars agreeing that Christ was crucified and buried ... it is historical fact. Points awarded to con for more convincing arguments because of this.
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 12 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
You should attend this debate:
Atheism- A lost reality! A hopeless, helpless cause!
Posted by canis 12 months ago
canis
All religions are true...You will never be able to find a false story about Santa either.
Vote Placed by ChadIrvin 11 months ago
ChadIrvin
MyNameIsJustinLupriconaTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.