A906500a
Jackthemarine86

Christianity is NOT valid

Jackthemarine86

A906500a

Pro

I'll argue that Christianity isn't a valid answer to God. This is my first debate so go easy on me!
Jackthemarine86

Con

I will accept the challenge. I'm interested in the proposal made by the Author of the debate.
A906500a

Pro

A906500a forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Con

Given the fact there was little clarification as to the extent of what is being debated, I"m going to argue from a Christian non-denominational perspective.
"Christianity" is a very generic term in today"s society, as it takes on a variety of meanings, and encompasses a variety of denominations. However, Christianity, in its original context describes a belief system held by a group of people called "Christians". The derivative of "Christian" comes from the Word Christ which comes from the Greek word "Christos", a translation of the word "Masiah", meaning "Annointed One" in Hebrew " a name assigned to Jesus of Nazareth.

As mentioned before, Christianity encompasses a variety of denominations. However "Whatever else they might disagree about, Christians are at least united in believing that Jesus has a unique significance." -Woodhead, Linda (2004). Christianity: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. n.p.

As for a variety of meanings: The term "Christian" is also used adjectivally to describe anything associated with Christianity, or in a proverbial sense "all that is noble, and good, and Christ-like."-Schaff, Philip. "V. St. Paul and the Conversion of the Gentiles (Note 496)". History of the Christian Church.
And : It is also used as a label to identify people who associate with the cultural aspects of Christianity, irrespective of personal religious beliefs or practices. - Dawkins: I'm a cultural Christian. BBC News. 10 December 2007.

True Christians argue from the perspective that Christianity refers to more than simply living a "good" lifestyle, as the very merits of Christianity state in Ephesians 2:9, "Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." And in Titus 3:5, "He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit."

When we take that into consideration, we the true meaning behind Christianity is a belief in which none of us is superior to anyone else in society. We are all created in the image of God, and are therefore all deserving of respect and love"as people. We are merely redeemed by the sacrifice of Christ on the Cross for the remission of sins. Nothing we do on this earth is simply good enough to merit Eternal Life. However, this does not excuse us from attempting to live a life of righteousness" essentially attempting to mirror the life of Christ while He was on earth by following His teachings and example.

So what did Christ teach us according to the Bible? He taught us that He was the way to God. In John 14:6, "Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." And that He and God were "One" " John 10:30. By this, and many other examples in the Bible, true Christianity teaches that Christ is the way to God, and the way to know truth, and inherit eternal life.

I would go into further examples of the things Christianity teaches, but that is kind of off topic. We are focusing on how Christianity is the valid answer to God. Based upon just two verses I have provided, coming from the words of Christ, He himself proclaims that He is the only way to God "
I would also point out that at that time, Christ was essentially considered a terrorist by the religious leaders of His time for making such a proclamation " and was eventually sentenced to death for making the claim. Ergo, even in His time, people had a problem with the idea that Christianity (the teachings of Christ and belief in Him) as being the only way to God.

However, I also remember vivid examples of non-believers who have stressed the importance of Christianity, and the changes it brings within society and finding God. For example, Matthew Parris" article: "As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God." I find it uniquely interesting that a proclaimed atheist journalist even recognizes Christianity in his article as the means to finding God.

http://old.richarddawkins.net...
A906500a

Pro

A906500a forfeited this round.
Jackthemarine86

Con

Pro has forfeited argument rounds of this debate. I refer to my argument in round 2.
Posted by Jackthemarine86 2 years ago
Jackthemarine86
Mormonism categorizes itself within Christianity, and Mormons self-identify as Christian:

Mormonism in America. Pew Research Center. January 2012. "Mormons are nearly unanimous in describing Mormonism as a Christian religion, with 97% expressing this point of view." ;

According to Bruce McConkie, a general authority of the LDS Church, "Mormonism is indistinguishable from Christianity." Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine.

For some who define Christianity within the doctrines of Catholicism, Orthodox Christianity, and Protestantism, Mormonism's differences place it outside the umbrella of Christianity:

For example, a 2007 poll conducted by the Pew Research Center found that one in three Americans surveyed do not consider Mormons to be Christian. See for example ReligionNewsblog.com.

"It is sometimes said that Mormonism is to Christianity as Christianity is to Judaism. Both Mormonism and Christianity established themselves by reinterpreting a preceding faith. Christianity built on Judaism but emphasized the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ; Mormonism began with Christianity but accepted new revelation through a modern prophet." Bushman (2008, p. 62)

Examples of organizations that do not recognize Mormonism as Christian include:
" Luther Seminary (Granquist, Mark A. (March 7, 2011), "The New (and Old) Religions Around Us: Session 4 handouts", luthersem.edu (Lay School of Religion, Luther Seminary));
" Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary (Is Mormonism Christian?, "News & Resources", mbts.edu, October 20, 2011);
" Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (Mohler, Albert (undated), "Is Mormonism Christian?", christianity.com (Salem Web Network) .
Posted by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
Mormonism is not Christian. ..
Posted by A906500a 2 years ago
A906500a
PiercedPanda, I didn't willingly forfeit. I was unaware that the rounds were set at 60 minutes instead of 3 days and I realized that after the fact. We created a new debate to have a fair argument (vote on that one).
Posted by A906500a 2 years ago
A906500a
I just created the same debate, just a little reworded.
Posted by YakovD 2 years ago
YakovD
I'd be willing to take up a debate with you, A906500a, under the circumstances jackthemarine86 mentioned.
Posted by Jackthemarine86 2 years ago
Jackthemarine86
And when I speak of specific denominations, I am referring to those that people consider "Christian", i.e., Catholicism, Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist, Southern Baptist, Mormon, Westboro Baptist, Lutheran, Pentacostal, etc.,.
Posted by Jackthemarine86 2 years ago
Jackthemarine86
Hmmmm... I don't know. I don't agree to the concession of this debate being a tie considering you established the debate and the rules were within your control - i.e., lack of attention to detail on your part. For this cause, I technically, and fairly won the debate in all areas.

As far as another debate, I will concede to it, with the following conditions: 1) We speak of Christianity is it's true definition, and 2) References to specific denominations and their practices are prohibited.
Posted by A906500a 2 years ago
A906500a
By saying Christianity is invalid, I mean that it cannot be the correct religion. Therefore, none of the known religions--besides perhaps Deism--can be correct due to the simple fact that they exist.

If we could just call this debate a tie and open the same debate as a new debate, I'd love to elaborate on all my ideas.
Posted by A906500a 2 years ago
A906500a
Wow, I didn't mean to set the rounds to 60 minutes.
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Jabuticaba
This is not his first debate, he obviously has another account.
Vote Placed by GodChoosesLife 2 years ago
GodChoosesLife
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con didn't FF like pro did and on too of that con gave a good argument.
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Actionsspeak
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Vote Placed by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is correct, Christianity is highly invalid. However, he forfeited, which means all points go to Con. What a shame, knowing that Pro was right while Con was wrong.
Vote Placed by PiercedPanda 2 years ago
PiercedPanda
A906500aJackthemarine86Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Since pro forfeited all rounds, con was the only one with an argument. This gives him points for more convincing arguments, and furthermore in his arguments he has sources supporting them. Points for conduct due to the forfeit of the entire debate.