Christianity is a Bad Religion

I_Wanna_Rawk has forfeited round #3.

Christianity is full of hate, misogyny, and discrimination.

I disagree. I assume arguments start in round two, so that's when I will say mine. I want pro to know that I will be at camp with no internet or cell phones next week, so if I miss a round I will post it in the comments when I get back.

Thank you for accepting my debate. It is OK to post your arguments in comments.

Christianity has killed the most amount of people in the world. It has started wars. How can this be good? The Old Testament is riddled with horrible ideals and orders given by god. The Old Testament says slavery is OK, it says to kill adulterers homosexuals, non-Christians, most sinners, etc. It objectifies women and denies them equality. How is this a good religion?

The first part of your argument, about how Christianity started wars and has killed "the most amount of people in the world"
To start, the religion of Christianity had never started a war. The people practicing it did. This may sound like semantics, but there is a very real difference between the people practicing a religion and the religion itself, especially ehen the practitioners are found directly against the core teachings of the religion! Some of Jesus's most famous teachings are to love your neighbor as yourself, and to turn the other cheek when provoked. Starting wars (I assume you mean the Crusades, as you didn't give any examples, I will go with that) for no other reason then the "other people" practice a different faith is against everything Christianity stands for.

The idea that Christianity has killed the most people in the world is absurd! From what I can find, the Crusades killed about 1.7 million, and the Spanish Inquisition killed 3000-5000 people. Yes, this is a big number put together. however, again, this is not what was taught by Jesus. This was people acting out of their own fear and bigotry using God as a cover. Even if you count that as Christianity, it is nothing, absolutely nothing compared to the amount of people killed by disease. Smallpox, in the 20'th century alone, killed about 300 million. That is many, many times greater then Christianity, and that is only counting one century. Yes, people practicing Christianity may have been responsible for more, but I think smallpox, in one century, beats that. If not, think about all the centuries before it, without medical care, and all the other deadly diseases that have caused so much more death then any religion could do.

No, people acting in God's name falsely is not good, but the assertions you made were completely false.
For the next part of the debate, please forgive me if I am not responding to the instances you were thinking of when you wrote your argument, but as you never provided examples, I can only go off of what I guess.

1. Riddled with horrible ideals and orders given by God.
Let's see, if you mean ordering the Isrealites to kill a neighboring tribe. This sounds bad, but the people God commanded the Isrealites to destroy were horrible, evil, barbaric people who indulged in murder, cannibalism, and child sacrifice. They were also increasingly warlike, so posed a great threat to Isreal, God's chosen people. In a word, it was a preemptive strike ordered by God to protect his people. Other "horrible orders": opening to the book of Duteromony, the book of the Bible that contains most of the Old Testament rules, here are some of the first rules I read.

Chapter 19, Verse 15. "One witness is not enough to convict anyone accused of any crime or offense they may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses." This isn't evil. This is good, defending rights of people in barbaric times.

Chapter 5, Verses 6-21. 6 "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

7 "You shall have no other gods before[b] me.

8 "You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. 9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 10 but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

11 "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

12 "Observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy, as the Lord your God has commanded you. 13 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 14 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your ox, your donkey or any of your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns, so that your male and female servants may rest, as you do. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day.

16 "Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the Lord your God is giving you.

17 "You shall not murder.

18 "You shall not commit adultery.

19 "You shall not steal.

20 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

21 "You shall not covet your neighbor"s wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor"s house or land, his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
I don't have the character count to explain why none of these are evil, so if Pro wants to dispute any of this, he can give his argument against it in the next round.

2. Old Testament says slavery is ok. This is simply untrue, like the rest of Cons claims. In fact, the selling of slaves was prohibited. "He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death." (Exodus 21:16) God is so against slavery, that slavers should be put to death by His law. That surely is not saying that slavery is ok!

3.yes, the Old Testement does say to kill adulterers. That is because adulterers broke a holy pact that signifies the Union of two people in a loving relationship. Adulterers break that holy pact, a terrible crime.
I honestly don't know where the Bible tells people to kill homosexuals, or non-Christians. Seriously, if you want a response to your arguments, you need to tell where you are finding these things. I can't spend my whole day looking for them.

4. "It objectifies most women and denies them equality". How, again does it objectify women? Ihave heard that it denies women equality, but I have never found that myself. Please show me where you found that. I'm tired of looking all over the Internet and my Bible to find things you could have spent one minute of effort to add in, as I asked you to in a comment. I believe that BOP is on Pro, but just in case, think of Christianity for one second. The New Testement, which you seem to have no objections to. It seems to me that your quarrel is with Judiasm, not Christianity. Jesus's message was a simple one, one of peace, love, peaceful evangelicalism, and acceptance. I do not understand how that is bad. I don't think Pro does either.

Please excuse any typos you find, I typed this up in my phone because my family isn't awake yet...

My Bible, NIV Translation
Good luck in the next round, and please give verses that you use for evidence.

Thank you, that was a very good argument. I do apologize for my vagueness I will try to be more specific. Yes, obviously the "Christians" who have killed people were not true Christians, but statistically Christians have killed more people than any other Religion/peoples.

You present many quotes that try to prove your point, but you forget the thousands of cruel and terrible quotes in the Bible. For example:

"I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent." (1 Timothy 2:12)

"This is what the Lord Almighty says... "Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey."" (1 Samuel 15:3)
how can killing women and children be just?

"Do not allow a sorceress to live." (Exodus 22:18)
we know witches are not many innocents killed.

"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them."
Leviticus 20:13
anti gay

"Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse." (1 Peter 2:18)

"Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." (Ephesians 5:22)

Deuteronomy 17:
2 If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant,
3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded;
4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and inquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel:
5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

kill unbelievers.

Now do not get me wrong. I've seen Christianity help many people and it can be a very good thing. I know Christians do not follow these passages. But what I am saying is that Christianity is bad on paper.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Lastly, your claim that Christians have killed more people than other religions or people is still ridiculous, mainly because it contradicts what you said at the end of your argument, which was "Now do not get me wrong. I've seen Christianity help many people and it can be a very good thing. I know Christians do not follow these passages. But what I am saying is that Christianity is bad on paper." You cannot just ignore the good things Christians have done "off the books" while using the bad as evidence. Which one is it?

To conclude, I would like to thank Pro for this mentally stimulating debate. I would like to apologize for taking so long to respond, and to apologize in case I came across as overly aggressive. I was not trying to.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Killing unbelievers argument: The worship of other, false gods was a major problem in Isreal. As you probably know, in the Old Teatemant, the nation of Isreal was God's chosen people. They were the only ones who knew the truth about God in Old Teatement times. Letting the nation fall into worship of other gods would end that, as it almost did during the Assyrian conquest and Babylonian conquests. (2 Kings 17:7-20 and 2 Kings 22:15-17.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Response to sexism argument: this isn't saying that husbands should rule with an iron fist, or that wives should be silent, not speak up, etc. instead, Ephesians 5:21-33 actually teaches mutual submission, husbands and wives should submit to each other, in different ways. This is also a metaphor for we people submitting to God's perfect love.
(Some of this argument was taken from a footnote in my study bible, it's really helpful for stuff like this. If you want me to cite it I will, I feel it isn't really be cedars unless you want me to.)
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Response to slavery argument: OK, if you read that, surely you read what came after it? You are taking just one part of a specific passage out of context with the rest of it. The rest of what it says is that

18 "Slaves, in reverent fear of God submit yourselves to your masters, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21 To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

22 "He committed no sin,
and no deceit was found in his mouth."[a]
23 When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." It is not condoning the practice of slavery, it is talking about turning the other cheek and not retaliating.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Response to your homosexuality argument: God created men and women's bodies to interact... In ways I would rather not go into right now. This topic makes me rather uncomfortable, as sex is awkward to talk about, especially when you are 13, but anyway, it is a perversion and sin against God to take what he made specifically for a man and woman in a loving marriage to enjoy together, and to produce offspring, into something that does not fulfill Gods original plan. Yes, this seems harsh, but it was to cleanse God's chosen people of those who misuse God's gifts. I know this isn't a very good argument, but again, that's because I don't like thinking about this kind of thing.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Response to your witches argument: Because your arguments all center around things the Bible says that God said or did, you have to theoretically assume that God is real for the purpose of your argument. Therefor, if God, an immortal, ominecint, and all-powerful Creator can exist, why can't witchcraft or black magic?

(Sorry about taking so long. Some stuff came up so I was only able to be on the site for short amounts of time.)
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
This article sums up my defense of God's order to destroy the Amalekites.
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
Your first argument, that the book of 1 Timothy promotes sexism is actually true. The well-known Apostle Paul wrote this as a letter to his friend, Timothy. However, because it was written by man, it has biases that God does not have. The idea that women are inferior was never promoted by Jesus, instead, it actually contradicts His teachings. Before everyone jumps up and shouts "contradictions! It's not true!" Just let me say again, that this was a letter, NOT written by God, but my a man trying to teach others. However, his personal biases were wrote in as well.

More to come after this
Posted by I_Wanna_Rawk 3 months ago
I just got back from camp, I'll post my arguments when I get some time to wind dow.
Posted by CandySmith 3 months ago
, so we can trust what was originally written. Only in Christianity do we have the person of Christ who claimed to be God, performed many miracles to prove His claim of divinity, who died and rose from the dead, and who said that He alone was the Way, the Truth, and the Life (John 14:6). All this adds to the legitimacy and credibility of Christianity above all other religions--all based on the person of Jesus. It could not be that Jesus is the only Truth, and other religions also be the truth.

Either Jesus is true and all other religions are false, or other religions are true, and Jesus is false. There are no other options. I choose to follow the risen Lord Jesus.