TheGayAtheist
wampe

Christianity is a disgusting religion.

wampe

TheGayAtheist

Pro

For 3 rounds, we'll debate.
For the last round, we'll say thank you and leave,
wampe

Con

I accept this debate and look forward to our dialog.
TheGayAtheist

Pro

Alright, let's begin. I'll start by quoting some Bible verses that I consider immoral and wrong.

1: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." - Leviticus 20:13

2: "Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property." - Exodus 21:21-21

3: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives." - Deuteronomy 22:28-29

4: "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." - Matthew, Chapter 5, 5:29

5: "Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire." - Matthew, Chapter 18, 18:8.

Alright, mate, it's your turn. Good luck!
wampe

Con

I agree that the passages that pro cited are ugly and reflect bronze age thinking. Personaly, I do not know anyone,Christian or otherwise,that subscribes to that kind of thinking. If you would like to debate that the bible is disgusting that would be a different debate.

This is as you say what what "Christianity is"

I'm my experiance Christians support community, kindness, education, tenderness, pessimism, perspective, art, architecture and institutions.

As an atheist one thing that I feel Christians do very well is foster a sence of community. In or cities we are divided by our jobs or educiation into separate classes. With billions of people sourounding us we become alienated from our fellow man. When I walk into a church (I burst into flames j/k) I am greeted by total straingers and invited to eat with the group after mass (this happened to me two weeks ago). When they learn I am an atheist they show signs of concern because they belive I will go to hell if not converted,but this concern tells me they think about my wellbeing. Even if I think they are missguided, they Care for me. Anyway, my point with all of that is Christianity as practiced today is one of community and love. The day of atonement, while a Jewish tradition, is a great example for us atheists to recogonize we need to say sorry sometimes.

Kindness
We are not really encouraged to be nice to one another anymore. We assume

And family demands daddy time so I will this tomorrow.

Hope all is well.
TheGayAtheist

Pro

I know some Christians are smart and kind, but this is about Christianity, not Christians. We're basically debating to see whether or not Christianity is a good or decent religion. Your turn.
wampe

Con

I agree that we are debating "Christianity" but do not see how we can have a discussion about the religion without talking about Christians themselves. Christianity has produced some great people and some true monsters, but I do not see any evidence that the religion anymore disgusting than humanity itself. On the contrary I see a group of people who promote things like community, kindness, education, tenderness, pessimism, perspective, art, architecture and institutions.

Please present you evidence that Christianity is a disgusting religion.
TheGayAtheist

Pro

I have already brought my evidence that Christianity is a disgusting religion. I'm waiting for the evidence that denies those passages.

wampe

Con

wampe forfeited this round.
TheGayAtheist

Pro

TheGayAtheist forfeited this round.
wampe

Con

wampe forfeited this round.
Posted by RevL8ion 2 years ago
RevL8ion
In my own opinion, the story of Sodom and Gomorrah doesn't necessarily mean that homosexuality is a sin. All of those gay men committed numerous crimes besides homosexuality: gang rape, severe harassment, and blasphemy of God; which could be why God destroyed them instead because of homosexuality. I believe that as long as two people love each other, God meant for it to happen. God saying homosexuality is a sin is kind of a contradiction of Christianity: if the Bible specifically tells us not to be a judge towards others, what right do we have to be prejudiced towards others because of who they love?
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
I have insulted no one, I respect people, unlike you. " You are a miserable person and you need to grow up."
Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 2 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
sigh, I support con since pro just "turtled up" and didn't offer more because he thinks that con did not disprove him. Con, just humor him and disprove his quotes.
.
1. Duh, please explain why male and female sexual organs are designed to work in such a manner? I doubt the Lord created men so that they could sword fight. I also doubt that God created women to get carpet burns. It is an insult to Gods work. Therefore some wrath from him can be expected.
.
2-3. This is Gods attempt to provide rules to the barbaric people who lived when the Bible was being written. Like Con said, our current Christians disregard this because they do not apply in a world where slavery isn't a thing.
.
4-5. These are quite true sir, I would rather maim my mortal body than have my soul forsaken by god and doomed to a hell without good.
.
. In addition to my comments, why are you even trying to provoke arguments? Are you that lost? Are you that pathetic? Leave it alone and go get a husband, adopt a kid, and live your life thinking you will not be judged for your actions. You are a miserable person and you need to grow up. I could care if you are an atheist, or even if you are gay. I think that YOU care. You are the one creating arguments and insulting Christians.
.
.
@wampe, I'm glad you found one of the many good communities. There are also many christian communities that are following the wrong road. I hope you come to realize that God loves you one day. Good luck ^^
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
why do you care?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Homosexuality is a disgusting sex act.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
furthermore:

-a man who beats his slave, would be required to have a good enough reason for it, or he would be in violation of the First commandment, Love thy God. As God is the God of all people.

-raping a woman, makes the rapist the son-in-law of the father, thus giving the father all rights over her newly-wed-husband. In addition, being married to a man does not revoke a womans right to deny him. So no more sexual acts are ever guaranteed, only his owed, continual penance to support her.

-the limbs are references to party members. a friend who delights in evil, friends who rush to evil, friends whoa re evil. These are the hands, feet and eyes.

-and the killing gays: the best way to fight a disease is to prevent it. The only way to prevent it, is to remove it.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
If this debate is about Christianity you shouldn't be only using Jewish doctrine as your debate TGA
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
"First of all, no unfaithful man represents the church the religion or the faith. He is both a heretic and a blasphemer and is not a Christian." A heretic is a person who does not conform to an established attitude, doctrine, or principle. Some one that disagrees with the church or a religion. Blasphemy is the act of cursing God. Or saying or doing something that would hurt god's feelings. The truth of religion or the existence of some god cannot be defended to a skeptical nonbeliever or freethinker on the basis of faith. It means that faith is not an adequate or reasonable defense of any belief or belief system which purports to have any empirical connection to the reality which we all share. Faith is also an unreliable and irrational basis for singling out one religion and claiming that it is true while all other religions, as well as any competing secular philosophies, are false.
Posted by LogicalLunatic 2 years ago
LogicalLunatic
If I were able to vote, Conduct would automatically to to Con, just because of the nature of this debate.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
PRO. Then you will not have any problem not being in our company, will you?Then why do you homo's want to force a business to cater to your " weddings".
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
TheGayAtheistwampeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never actually makes an argument. He posts a bunch of quotes, each of which could be an argument if Pro took the time to analyze them, but he fails to do so. Both sides agree that the verses themselves are repugnant (though Con certainly didn't have to - Pro never supported them being so), but whether those quotes actually prove that Christianity is "a disgusting religion" is another story. Pro never meets his burden of proof, simply putting his points out and then leaving others to do his work. Con's arguments at least suggest that the religion isn't disgusting as it produces good ends, even if those ends aren't based in scripture (Pro never states why scripture should be the sole defining feature of a religion). As such, I could vote on burden of proof, or on arguments given, as Con is the only one to establish anything about Christianity as a whole, and it's positive. I'll still give conduct to Pro because of Con forfeiting the extra round, though.
Vote Placed by BennyW 2 years ago
BennyW
TheGayAtheistwampeTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not a great debate overall but pro forfeited one less time.