innerspace
Dorb

Christianity is a metaphor

innerspace

Pro

If you think about it really, everything's a metaphor and parallel's to each other. It's a metaphor for yourself. So that you can understand why you are or to understand the pure truth about anything. It's no better than drugs or something as simple as playing music. But, that's not to say it can't be used properly. It's a way to feel connected to something greater and have an understanding of not only yourself, but of others, and how to react to others. What happens is people start to use it as an escape. To search for something in their life they feel is missing, then they escape into the security of 'God will take care of everything' without knowing of what this 'God' really is. God is you. 'God' is Music. 'God' is Art. 'God' is Food, 'God' is everything, really, if you think about it. Christianity was something believed in and acquired followers who took it way too seriously. Charles Manson did something like that. Then again, so did Miles Davis. So did any major figure. So is it wrong, or heresy to give yourself in to something? I think not. It's better than living in fear your whole life.
Dorb

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate. I hope that it goes well for both of us, and wish my opponent the best of luck.

To begin, my opponent states that "everything's a metaphor." And my opponent's primary argument seems to be "Christianity is a metaphor." My opponent is thus arguing that Christianity is a metaphor by arguing that everything's a metaphor. For the purposes of this debate, I provide the following definition of metaphor:

1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance.
Source: http://dictionary.reference.com...

From these definitions, I argue that everything is clearly not a metaphor. Not everything is a figure of speech. An easy example is religion itself. Religion is clearly not a metaphor, a "figure of speech" or even, more loosely, something that suggests something else as a resemblance. Religion is a set of beliefs. It is not a metaphor. Therefore, I refute my opponent's claim that everything is a metaphor, and his claim that Christianity is a metaphor because Christianity is a religion..

I have refuted what seems to be my opponent's first argument. Because the burden of proof is on my opponent, I await his next one.
innerspace

Pro

innerspace forfeited this round.
Dorb

Con

My opponent has forfeited the last round. Since my opponent has made no arguments, I have nothing to refute. I wait till the next round. Thanks.
innerspace

Pro

innerspace forfeited this round.
Dorb

Con

My opponent has again forfeited. Vote Con.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Pro may have point, but I couldn't understand what it was. There are other definitions of metaphor than as figures of speech, but Pro didn't offer a definition and didn't show up to rebut Con's.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
innerspaceDorbTied
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
innerspaceDorbTied
Vote Placed by Dorb 6 years ago
Dorb
innerspaceDorbTied