BoggleBros37
Stupidape

Christianity is a religion of peace

BoggleBros37

Pro

Round 1). Acceptance
Round 2). Opening arguments
Round 3). Rebuttals
Round 4). Rebuttals/Final statements

Christianity is a religion of peace. It's just that people don't understand how it works or judges the entire religion based off a few people's decisions.
Stupidape

Con

Thank you for taking the time and energy to create this debate. I will take the Con side of the debate. I will argue that Christianity is a religion of war.
BoggleBros37

Pro

Christians follow Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ was a respected man and many people looked up to him and worshiped him. The reason why is because Jesus healed the sick, cure diseases and he is the only one in the bible who has never sinned. Jesus Christ loved everyone, from his followers to his haters. 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also. Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. While Jesus was being taken by the Romans, one of his disciples picked up the sword and started attacking the Romans and told Jesus to flee from the scene. Jesus told his disciple to stop then said, "Who lives by the sword, dies by the sword" meaning whatever goes around comes around. Jesus then healed the Romans who were attacked and went peacefully with them. This proves Jesus loved peace

[SOURCES]
http://www.gotquestions.org...
Stupidape

Con

Outline
I. War on Sin
II. Lucifer's/Satan's Rebellion
III. The end times battle
IV. Totalitarianism
V. Tribalism
VI. Hell
VII. Sources

I. War on Sin

Christianity is a religion of war. Specifically a war against sin. "Winning The War Against Lust" [1] If Christianity was truly a religion of peace, sin would be of trivial concern. Nay, sin is to be opposed and not for followers to drown in. Even in the examples my opponent gave Jesus did not submit to the sin of Wrath. "
Wrath – strong vengeful anger or indignation: “A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger” (Proverbs 15:1)
" [2]

I repeat Christians are not supposed to be at peace with sin, therefore Christianity is a religion of war. Of course my opponent may have meant a different definition of war. Perhaps my opponent meant a physical conflict where blows took place.

II. Lucifer's/Satan's Rebellion

"When he finally led one third of the angels (Revelation 12:4) to war against God in heaven, God cast him and his angelic troops back to the earth (Luke 10:18)." [3]

Clearly a war was waged in the above passage.

III. The end times battle

"Battle of Armageddon" [4] Again, war within the Bible.

IV. Totalitarianism

The Bible encourages totalitarianism.

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." [5].

God has absolute power according to the Bible. As shown earlier what happened with Satan's rebellion. Totalitarianism leads to war as seen by the roman emperors.

V. Tribalism

Christianity like every other religion encourages tribalism. Tribalism often leads to war. Key examples are the crusade/jihad and the Protestant versus Catholics, and so forth. Here is a long list of Christian atrocities caused in part by religious tribalism. [6]

VI. Hell

Talk about terror tactics, even the old testament did not mention eternal damnation. Jesus the merciful created a new convent that included hell. This would give strong motivation to attack other nations and to live life in fear.

VII. Sources
1. https://bible.org...
2. http://www.allaboutgod.com...
3. http://www.bibletools.org...
4. http://www.endtimes-bibleprophecy.com...
5. http://biblehub.com...
6. http://www.truthbeknown.com...
BoggleBros37

Pro

I just wanna let you know that the definition of war is, a state of armed conflict between different countries/states or different groups within a country.

I. War on Sin

Sin is something you cannot touch or kill. Sin is something you have to deal with yourself like Depression. It's something you wanna try and fix so you won't do it anymore. When it says going to war with sin, it kinda means going to war with yourself and by that i mean fighting against the evil within you, fighting the temptation and all the evil thoughts and you think of inside your head. This is the war against sin. It's not something you kill to accomplish.

II. Lucifer's/Satan's Rebellion

This was hundreds and thousands of years before Christianity was even created.

III. The end times battle

Is something Christians won't start but i guess will be forced to deal with and by deal with i don't mean to join the war and fight against governments but it's something Christians will be there to witness and probably be killed in.

IV. Totaltarianism

This is the effect of people going against god. They start wars and rebellions in seek of power or something else.
Totaltariansim in the bible is mis-interpreted alot of times. In our world, Totaltarianism is not having freedom or the power to do what you think is right because Governments would come after you. But God, is a loving god because he gives us free will which is the right to do whatever we want in this world which is why almost everyone is sinning in this world.

Will cover everything else in round 3, not enough time.

[SOURCES]
http://www.gotquestions.org...
https://www.jw.org...
Stupidape

Con

Outline

I. Intro to rebuttal
II. The Bible teaches passiveness which leads to war
III. Extremely improbable that Jesus healed the Roman soldier.

I. Intro to rebuttal

This is a rebuttal of my opponent's round two argument. I will not defend my argument again my opponent's rebuttal in this round.

II. The Bible teaches passiveness and submissiveness which leads to war

If you have a garden, and you leave it unattended, eventually invasive weeds will take over. Jesus teaches to turn the other cheek and leave your enemies to God's wrath, eternal damnation comes to mind. Yet, I ask what if God does not exist? Then, what would happen? Simply your enemies would use you as a doormat. Walking all over you until, blam, You strike back! Since we are only human and have involuntary reflexes.

This blow may lead to a small fight, which leads to a larger fight, and so forth until a war erupts. Yet, just like an invasive weed, conflict can often be nipped in the bud. Instead, if the first time somebody tries to walk all over you, you are assertive instead of submissive, a war can be prevented.

In brief, Christianity holds Christians to high standards in the name of a God that is extremely unlikely to exist. When bad events happen and God doesn't intervene, its not wonder Christians react in a violent fashion. Turning the other cheek leads to war.

With evolution, the big bang theory, and many other scientific theories its becoming more and more difficult to believe the Bible is literally true. I contend that Jesus most likely did not literally heal the Roman soldier, and instead use a placebo or herbs to heal the soldier.

BoggleBros37

Pro

I'm speechless at the stupidity being given to me by you. "If you have a garden, and you leave it unattended, eventually invasive weeds will take over. Jesus teaches to turn the other cheek and leave your enemies to God's wrath, eternal damnation comes to mind. Yet, I ask what if God does not exist? Then, what would happen? Simply your enemies would use you as a doormat. Walking all over you until, blam, You strike back! Since we are only human and have involuntary reflexes".

How does involuntary reflexes lead to war? It's like your just sitting there and your "involuntary reflexes" kicks in and you just get a feeling that you should try and start a war. It's stupid. Jesus told us to turn the other cheek and so we will do.

"In brief, Christianity holds Christians to high standards in the name of a God that is extremely unlikely to exist. When bad events happen and God doesn't intervene, its not wonder Christians react in a violent fashion. Turning the other cheek leads to war".

Christians react in a violent fashion? God gave us free will. The power to do whatever we want on this planet. When Jesus arrived he told us the way God wanted us to live. Jesus being the son of god, he was able to resurrect people, heal the sick, drive out demons and perform miracles. On the day of crucifixtion. Jesus was whipped several times on the back leaving red strips on blood. Jesus didn't react violently, instead he went along with everything. Even while he was being crucified, roman soldiers spat on his face, gave him a crown made from thorns, and insulted him in his face. Jesus didn't react violently. Instead Jesus forgave those roman soldiers because he knew they were only doing what they were told.
Christians will follow Jesus until the end and if Jesus did this than we should be willing to do it too(as in forgave those who persecute us).

"With evolution, the big bang theory, and many other scientific theories its becoming more and more difficult to believe the Bible is literally true. I contend that Jesus most likely did not literally heal the Roman soldier, and instead use a placebo or herbs to heal the soldier. "

How do you know, where you there to witness? The bible was written by people who actually met and witnessed jesus perform these miracles.

Please do research before to go against a religion. It sounds like you only got these information from quick google searches. :)

Stupidape

Con

Outline round 4

I. Involuntary reflexes
II. Science and evolution vs religion and creationism
III. Summary
IV. Sources

I. Involuntary reflexes

"How does involuntary reflexes lead to war? It's like your just sitting there and your "involuntary reflexes" kicks in and you just get a feeling that you should try and start a war. It's stupid. Jesus told us to turn the other cheek and so we will do." BoggleBros

Because we have limited control over our own body. Did we choose when we get sick? Nay, just as we don't choose to stay calm when someone punches us. We literally cannot stay calm when we take enough physical blows. Let's say person A gets attacked by person B. Person B repeatedly performs assaults and battery on person A. Person A must react eventually. Crying, anger, falling over, etc.

If anger is the involuntary reflex, person A may punch and kill person B. This could lead to a blood feud and a war. Think of the knee-jerk reaction. "Knee-jerk reflex

The knee-jerk reflex involves a sudden kicking movement of your lower leg after the tendon just below your kneecap has been tapped. Doctors often trigger this reflex to test the function of your nervous system. If the reaction is exaggerated or absent, it may indicate a damage to the central nervous system." [7]

"How do you know, where you there to witness? The bible was written by people who actually met and witnessed jesus perform these miracles." BoggleBros

There is fossil evidence all around the world. You can see pictures of these fossils. There are museums dedicated to these fossils. The evidence has been peer reviewed and gone through intensive criticism. You can learn almost exactly how a dinosaur's bone structure worked. The amount of detail is incredible.

As for religion, you can't make these claims. How can you prove your religion is more likely than the Greek, Roman, Egyptians, middle eastern, far eastern, primitive tribes and Norse religions? Even, if you manage to somehow find evidence of God, then which God, and which faith? Religion creates more questions than answers.

III. Summary

Yet, again this discussion broke down into evolution versus creationism. I thank my opponent for having this discussion and wish you good luck.

IV. Sources

7. http://www.bbc.co.uk...