kasmic
imsmarterthanyou98

Christianity is akin to Fascism

kasmic

kasmic

Pro

Christianity is akin to Fascism

Definition of terms:

1 Christianity: "the religion that is based on the teachings of Jesus Christ"(1)

2 Akin: "similar or related"(2)

3 Fascism: "a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government"(3)

4 Rounds, 10,000 characters, 72hr

Round 1 acceptance
Round(s)2-3 Arguments and Rebuttals
Round 4 Rebuttals and closing statements (no new arguments.)

This debate should be impossible to accept, please comment if interested.

Please no forfeits.

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(2) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(3) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
imsmarterthanyou98

Con

I accept , present your case.
kasmic

Pro

Christianity is akin to Fascism

Thank you Imsmarterthanyou98 for accepting the debate and good luck!

Akin having been defined as “"similar or related.” I will be presenting how they are very similar.

Clarification: I am a Christian, I do not intend this comparison to be an insult. Often the word fascist is misused as an insult. (1) Those who take it as such should read my argument in its entirety to see the clarity of my argument.

Fascism summary: The following is taken from howstuffworks(2)

Principles of Fascism

1:“Absolute power of the State: The Fascist state is a glorious, living entity that is more important than any individual. All individuals are part of the State, but the State is greater than the sum of its parts. All individuals must set aside their own needs and supplicate themselves to the needs of the State. There is no law or other power that can limit the authority of the State.

2: Strict social order: Social classes are strictly maintained in order to avoid "mob rule" or any hint of chaos. Chaos is a threat to the State. The State's absolute power and greatness depends on the maintenance of a class system in which every individual has a specific place, and that place cannot be altered.

3: Authoritarian leadership: To maintain the power and greatness of the State requires a single, charismatic leader with absolute authority. This all-powerful, heroic leader maintains the unity and unquestioning submission required by the Fascist state. The authoritarian leader is often viewed as a symbol of the State.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Christianity compares to the fascist summary:

1: Absolute Power of the State/The Kingdom of God

Psalm 145:11They shall speak of the glory of thy kingdom, and talk of thy power;”

Within Christianity, people believe in pursuing the will of the Lord over their own will. The kingdom of God is greater than the individual. There is no “law or other power that can limit the authority of the” kingdom of God.

2: Strict social order: One need hardly look further than the ten commandments to see that Christianity is based on an idea of “strict social order.” There are several verses of scripture that dictate appropriate/inappropriate behavior.

3: Authoritarian Leadership: God is perceived as above reproach and is a leader with absolute authority. He is all-powerful, heroic and requires submission. God is the symbol of Christianity.

Below I will present ideas and statements from fascism and Christianity side by side for comparison. I will mostly be using “
THE DOCTRINE OF FASCISM” by Benito Mussolini and the Bible (KJV) as sources.

A = Fascism doctrine
B = Christian doctrine

Christianity and Fascism have similar doctrine. Below are examples of this.

1: Both claim to be spiritual ideas that can only be spiritually discerned.

A: “
Thus many of the practical expressions of Fascism such as party organization, system of education, and discipline can only be understood when considered in relation to its general attitude toward life. A spiritual attitude.”(3)

B: 1 Corinthians 2:14 “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

2: Both acknowledge a higher law(God’s law) and strive to promote the society(kingdom of heaven) over the individual.

A: “ The Fascist conception of life is a religious one, in which man is viewed in his immanent relation to a higher law, endowed with an objective will transcending the in­dividual and raising him to conscious membership of a spiritual society.” (3)

“ Anti-individualistic, the Fascist conception of life stresses the importance of the State and accepts the individual only in so far as his interests coincide with those of the State,”(3)

“The Fascist loves his neighbor”(3)

B: Isaiah 55:8 and Mathew6: 25,33 Mathew 10:37-39 Mark 12:31

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.”

25 “
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?”

33 “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”

“He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.”

“Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.”

3: Both think that personal wealth can be a problem.

A: “It (Fascism) does not believe in the possibility of "happiness" on earth as conceived by the economistic literature”(3)

B: 1 Timothy 6:10 Mathew 6: 19-21 Mathew 19:24

For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”

“Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”

“And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.”

4: Both sources of education, spiritual life and enforced thru discipline and authority.

A: “ Fascism, in short, is not only a law-giver and a founder of institutions, but an educator and a promoter of spiritual life. It aims at refashioning not only the forms of life but their content - man, his character, and his faith. To achieve this propose it enforces discipline and uses authority, entering into the soul and ruling with undisputed sway. Therefore it has chosen as its emblem the Lictor’s rods, the symbol of unity, strength, and justice.”(3)

B: Just changing Fascism to Christianity in the above quote resonates with Christian values…

“Christianity in short, is not only a law-giver and a founder of institutions, but an educator and a promoter of spiritual life. It aims at refashioning not only the forms of life but their content - man, his character, and his faith. To achieve this propose it enforces discipline and uses authority, entering into the soul and ruling with undisputed sway.”

I admit it is shocking how well that synergizes.

5: Both apply similar types of authority

A: Totalitarian: “of or relating to centralized control by an autocratic leader or hierarchy”(4)

B: Belief of God being omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. Or in other words an autocratic leader.

Summary:

Due to the similarities of Christianity and Fascism in regard to their axioms and structure; it is reasonable to conclude that Christianity is akin to Fascism.

(1)http://en.wikipedia.org...
(2) http://people.howstuffworks.com...
(3)http://www.worldfuturefund.org...
(4)
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

imsmarterthanyou98

Con

imsmarterthanyou98 forfeited this round.
kasmic

Pro

Bummer, well, all points extended...
imsmarterthanyou98

Con

Sorry , im soooo busy my apologies for the FF.

By con.

Christianity is akin to Fascism-----TOPIC

Disclaimer----- I AM AGNOSTIC.

In Christianity it is presumed you have free will therfore the option to choose. You are allowed to disagree. Perhaps you will burn in hell , but you are allowed to disagree.

Per the definition "Facism" A dictator controls the lives of the people and are not allowed to disagree.

P1. As defined "fascism" You CANNOT disagree.
p2.In Christianity you CAN disagree.
Christianity and fascism are not similar.
kasmic

Pro

It is unfortunate that my opponent seems to have put so little effort into this debate. Have it noted that not a single part of my argument was refuted. As such, Con has only provided one argument of how Christianity is different from Fascism. Considering the bulk of what I shared even if cons argument stood, which it will not, it would not be enough to outweigh the weight of my argument.

Reminder that “akin” mean similar, not exactly the same. There are certainly differences between fascism and Christianity, however they have much in common.

Rebuttals:

Con says “
In Christianity it is presumed you have free will, therefore the option to choose. You are allowed to disagree. Perhaps you will burn in hell , but you are allowed to disagree.”

“Per the definition "Facism" A dictator controls the lives of the people and are not allowed to disagree.”

In a Fascist society when one disobeys the law, they are removed from the society, via prison or exile. In extreme cases even killed. This is very similar to the “Kingdom of God.” Consider,

P:1 God gives commandments John 14:15 “
If ye love me, keep my commandments.”
P:2 Sin is disobedience to Gods commands. 1 John 3:4 “
for sin is the transgression of the law.”
P:3 Sin is punished. Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death”
P:3 B Sinners cannot enter the kingdom of God. 1 Corinthians 6:9 “Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,”

(all verses from KJV Bible)

A fascist dictator controls the lives of the people and they (the people) are not allowed to disagree. When they do they are removed from the society. The only way to remain in the society is obedience.

In Christianity God “dictator controls the lives of the people and they (the people) are not allowed to disagree. When they do they are removed” or denied entrance to the Kingdom of God. The only way to remain in the society is obedience.

In both Fascism and Christianity people choose not to obey, they are not free to choose consequences… ergo “control.”

Cons arguments is negated. As he has not refuted any of my arguments the resolution stands.

Christianity is akin to Fascism.
imsmarterthanyou98

Con

Posted by imsmarterthanyou98 2 years ago
imsmarterthanyou98
Lol i have a busy a** schedule however i did accept the debate .....my bad.... I got home late.. :C Missed the deadline
imsmarterthanyou98
Crap.
imsmarterthanyou98
Crap.
Posted by debate_power 2 years ago
debate_power
The thing is, you can claim anything is akin to anything else because both are things.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
I certainly hope he does.
Posted by Gaming_Debater 2 years ago
Gaming_Debater
ISTY, you're gonna post for round 1 right?
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
That would be amusing, considering I'm the Christian saying that Christianity is akin to Fascsim and you the athesist contending. If you really are interested, I would enjoy the debate.
imsmarterthanyou98
I'll take ya.
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
@xXcryptoXx I would assume the definitions from merriem-webster for both of those words would work.
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
@CountCheechula,
I argue Jesus was not completely tolerant or accepting man. NOt at all. you should review your perspectives.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
kasmicimsmarterthanyou98Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
kasmicimsmarterthanyou98Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Double forfeit. Will add feedback latter.