SilentStorm
Tallulah

Christianity is false. Detrimental to society. And should be stopped.

SilentStorm

Pro

Christianity, just like every other religion is basically a fairy tale used to control people. It makes people not question anything and is detrimental to scientific progress. In the modern scientific era there is no need for it. The bible has too many contradictions and the god in it is hateful.
Tallulah

Con

Christianity and every other religion including the idea of Atheism should not be labeled as 'false' just because someone does not believe. If you call Christianity false because it does not explain all of our problems/concerns, and say science does, you are making a very thin claim. Science does not answer all of our problems/concerns too. Christians say that god created us and the world, and there is evidence to support that, but also some disclaimers. But on the other hand scientist say we evolved from apes. There is evidence to support that, but also disclaimers.
The god is not hateful, everything he did was his way, and many others, to show he was real. And to protect his people. Christians today still question the bible, and god himself. Even gods followers once questioned god and his intentions. But god is always there for them. Through all of their victories and hardships, he is there way of life. And you and everyone else does not have the right to question their beliefs. Even the constitution of the United States recognizes that every one should have the right to believe in what they want.
SilentStorm

Pro

I do not claim that Christianity is false because it doesn't explain our problems. Nor do I claim that science explains all of our problems. I'm basically saying that science supports a small amount, if any information in the bible. Science actually disproves many stories in the bible, such as Noah's Ark and talking snakes. There is hard evidence to support the Big Bang theory and evolution. But I have not seen any legitimate evidence for creationism.

The god from the bible is definitely hateful. Leviticus 26 14-15 If you disobey me and my laws, and if you break our agreement, 16 I will punish you terribly, and you will be ruined. You will be struck with incurable diseases and with fever that leads to blindness and depression. Your enemies will eat the crops you plant, 17 and I will turn from you and let you be destroyed by your attackers. You will even run at the very rumor of attack. 18 Then, if you still refuse to obey me, I will punish you seven times for each of your sins, 19 until your pride is completely crushed. I will hold back the rain, so the sky above you will be like iron, and the ground beneath your feet will be like copper. 20 All of your hard work will be for nothing"and there will be no harvest of grain or fruit.

21 If you keep rebelling against me, I"ll punish you seven times worse, just as your sins deserve! 22 I"ll send wild animals to attack you, and they will gobble down your children and livestock. So few of you will be left that your roads will be deserted.

23 If you remain my enemies after this, 24 I"ll remain your enemy and punish you even worse. 25 War will break out because you broke our agreement, and if you escape to your walled cities, I"ll punish you with horrible diseases, and you will be captured by your enemies. 26 You will have such a shortage of bread, that ten women will be able to bake their bread in the same oven. Each of you will get only a few crumbs, and you will go hungry.

27 Then if you don"t stop rebelling, 28 I"ll really get furious and punish you terribly for your sins! 29 In fact, you will be so desperate for food that you will eat your own children. 30 I"ll destroy your shrines and tear down your incense altars, leaving your dead bodies piled on top of your idols. And you will be disgusting to me. 31 I"ll wipe out your towns and your places of worship and will no longer be pleased with the smell of your sacrifices. 32 Your land will become so desolate that even your enemies who settle there will be shocked when they see it. 33 After I destroy your towns and ruin your land with war, I"ll scatter you among the nations.

34-35 While you are prisoners in foreign lands, your own land will enjoy years of rest and refreshment, as it should have done each seventh year when you lived there. 36-37 In the land of your enemies, you will tremble at the rustle of a leaf, as though it were a sword. And you will become so weak that you will stumble and fall over each other, even when no one is chasing you. 38 Many of you will die in foreign lands, 39 and others of you will waste away in sorrow as the result of your sins and the sins of your ancestors.

I don't know about you but that doesn't sound very peaceful to me. I understand that everyone has a right to their religion. But Christians are very vocal about their beliefs, and I have every right to question them. I am in no way forcing these people to convert to atheism. I am just stating facts and asking questions in hope that they will make the choice to convert. I feel that the world would be a much more advanced place if so many people weren't centering their lives around an unproven book that was written over two thousand years ago.
Tallulah

Con

Due to the fact that my internet is being cut off for several days for storm damage, I cannot continue this debate. How ever I would like to state that I feel your judgment on Christianity have brought up interesting points, but I stick to my opinion. I am so sorry, but I do wish I continue.
SilentStorm

Pro

SilentStorm forfeited this round.
Tallulah

Con

Tallulah forfeited this round.
SilentStorm

Pro

SilentStorm forfeited this round.
Tallulah

Con

Tallulah forfeited this round.
SilentStorm

Pro

SilentStorm forfeited this round.
Tallulah

Con

Tallulah forfeited this round.
Posted by ZMowlcher 3 years ago
ZMowlcher
Religion isn't bad. It's the bad people who use religion in their favor that cause the problems. Every religious conflict has a political motive.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Con sort of stated that God did the extremely dumb, malevolent deeds in the Bible to show it is real, yet, funnily, there has never been any evidence that it is real, Ever!
I'm already feeling a dislike for such shallow, unsupported claims from debaters.
Pro only needs to dig deep and that will uproot any of Con's shallow, subjective claims.
Posted by KeepBelieving 3 years ago
KeepBelieving
Actually I think that any discussion about religion is like trying to plow the sea or at least on a very sterile field without taking us anywhere whatsoever. However, I will try to throw my 2 cents in.
No religion is good or bad by itself, the troublesome bit are the PEOPLE, whether they be believers or not. If a religion, ideology, political party or whatever has no such massive fans flock of blind followers without questioning anything, unable to think by themselves, dazzled with fantastic promises and slaves to their own greed, all those institutions simply would have no power and would be completely harmless.
So answering the question; should they be stopped? Nah!! for what for?
As conclusion, I will only use a pair of popular sayings:
1.- "Everyday is born a jerk and who hold him will own his touchy"
2.- "If animals could draw, Xenophanes jibes, then horses would draw gods that look like horses, lions would draw gods that look like lions and oxen would draw gods that look like oxen."

So what if cuckolds jerks would draw cuckolds jerk gods?

As I've said the problem always be the ignorant people, the retard flock still half way to acquire a few drops of common sense, an inquisitive mindset and a pinch of rebellious guts.
Posted by DrHaz3 3 years ago
DrHaz3
" It makes people not question anything and is detrimental to scientific progress." If it makes people not question anything, then why do they consistently question the theory of evolution and the origins of the universe?
"1 Thessalonians 5:21
King James Version (KJV)
21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good."

Sounds like Christianity beat science to it.
Posted by BittersweetRivalry 3 years ago
BittersweetRivalry
I believe that religion in general is a means of controlling people. It is intended to create hope where there is none, which will in turn form a following that will probably do stupid things in the name of their religion. Christianity in particular has a knack for highlighting the parts of the bible they think are easy debates to win, for example, gay marriage. It is, by the way, technically illegal for a state to outlaw gay marriage, because of this little thing called Separation of Church and State. Not that anyone's going to admit that.

The think I think is so hypocritical about Christianity is the followers seem to conveniently forget the parts of the Bible that allow them to, say, stone their wife for cheating or sell their daughters into slavery. Christianity is a means of enforcing a desired effect on others who may or may not want the outcome, and is less about the actual faith than the control.

On another note, those who actually do follow their religions without forcing it down peoples throats or using it as a weapon are not bad people, just like not all Christians are maniacal. There is a line that has been crossed, but not everyone needs to be punished for it.
Posted by SonicGhost 3 years ago
SonicGhost
I wonder how the counter argument will go, as for me, I believe that the great spaghetti monster created the world when he was drunk, and this is undeniable as there is no proof for the contrary.