Drumacrat
brontoraptor

Christianity is morally superior to Non-Christianity

Drumacrat has forfeited round #2.

Drumacrat

Con

Many Christians hold the belief that their religion is morally superior to other world views. I offer that any moral act done in the name of the Christian god is equally possible with a Secular worldview. In addition, many reprehensible and immoral things have been and are done in the name of the Christian God. The Bible is fraught with immoral teachings, as is the Christian faith.

Since moral acts are able to be done equally with a Secular worldview as with a Christian worldview, and the Christian worldview has unique immoral aspects, I propose that Christianity is NOT morally superior to Non-Christianity.
brontoraptor

Pro

Con:

"I offer that any moral act done in the name of the Christian god is equally possible with a Secular worldview."

In Atheism there is no objective "morality" because Atheism is not an ideology, a belief, nor a worldview, but simply the lack of belief that God(s) exist. If Atheism is correct, there is no objective "morality". Under the Atheist construct I can legitimately do things simply because:

1)They are biologically driven

2)Of the "Survival of the fittest"

3)I felt like it, and morality is simply a semantical word of religious "types"

Seeing Atheism can provide us with no objective morality, I must use the version actually available to us. That would be religious morality, and in this case, as per Con's opening dialogue, Christian morality.

Con is making a claim of "equal or greater morality" in Atheism. By Christian morality, this in and of itself is grievously immoral.

Christians are actually purposefully claiming the "low ground". This is where their "righteousness" comes from, not of themselves(self righteousness), but of Christ(Christ's righteousness).

Con has assumed that Christianity assumes and needs a physical ethics "highground" of "works" on Atheists. This is a false assessment. Con is trapped in his "morality" argument by Secular Pharisaism, and without any atheist objective morality, is given into the hands of "Christian morality".

--

Christians do not claim a "highground" on Atheists on ethics, nor should they. This is actually the "moral" or "righteous" act according to Christianity, to not claim your own "goodness". To point to one's own "righteousness" is indeed the greater sin in and of itself.

Luke 16:15

And He said to them, "You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; for that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable in the sight of God.

Luke 18:9

"And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous."

1 John 1:8

If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Proverbs 20:9

Who can say, "I have cleansed my heart, I am pure from my sin"?

Jeremiah 2:35

Behold, I will enter into judgment with you because you say, 'I have not sinned'.

Proverbs 30:12

There is a kind who is pure in his own eyes, Yet is not washed from his filthiness.

--

TRUE "MORALITY"-

Luke 18:9

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable:

Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people: robbers, evildoers, adulterers; or even like this tax collector.

I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.

The tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'

"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

--

Under Christian morality, what a person does by seeking out and pointing out their own "greatness" is become a self righteous hypocrite, and not moral at all.

Luke 5:32:

"I have not come to call the righteous but sinners."

Mark 2:17

"On hearing this, Jesus said to them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."

John 9:41

"Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains."

The Pharisee priests began pointing out their "goodness" and started questioning Jesus.

Matthew 21:31

"Which of the two did what his father wanted?" "The first," they answered. Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are entering the kingdom of God ahead of you."

--

Con:

"many reprehensible and immoral things have been and are done in the name of the Christian God."

Atheists have killed more people in the last century than all religions combined. Killing people in the name of nothing seems to be the negative variable in this equation.

It is obvious that Atheism cannot be true; for if it were, it would produce a more humane world, since it values only this life and is not swayed by the foolish beliefs of primitive superstitions and religions. However, the opposite proves to be true. Rather than providing the utopia of idealism, it has produced a body count second to none. With recent documents uncovered for the Maoist and Stalinist regimes, it now seems the high end of estimates of 250 million dead (between 1900-1987) are closer to the mark. The Stalinist Purges produced 61 million dead and Mao’s Cultural Revolution produced 70 million casualties.

--

Con:

"The Bible is fraught with immoral teachings, as is the Christian faith."

Citation needed.

--

bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Self-Righteousness,-Nature-Of
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
what does morality equal
Posted by malalo75 10 months ago
malalo75
I'll give you a little gift and also define atheism:

Atheism = the rejection of theist ideologies, or disbelief in gods

Morality = a set of individual or collective values that determine if actions are right or wrong

What are YOUR definitions of these words?
Posted by brontoraptor 10 months ago
brontoraptor
Then define to us "morality".
Posted by malalo75 10 months ago
malalo75
brontoraptor: "Because you are referencing "morality" from an atheist view, but there is no "atheist view"?"

....... what?
So you invent a term, apply it to me, then say I'm incorrect for having that "view".
My atheism has nothing to do with my morality. They are 2 different things.
Posted by brontoraptor 10 months ago
brontoraptor
Because you are referencing "morality" from an atheist view, but there is no "atheist view"? The gorilla can give consent by allowing you to do it or crushing your skull like a pop can. Is male on male immoral?
Posted by malalo75 10 months ago
malalo75
Also: bestiality involves at least one human so "animals raping each other" is off topic.
Posted by malalo75 10 months ago
malalo75
Animals having any kinds of sex is just nature. According to you there cannot be any morality outside god, and apparently god never talked about sex between animals.
So what does it matter?
Posted by brontoraptor 10 months ago
brontoraptor
A lion or gorilla could give consent by not fighting it or tossing you off.
Posted by brontoraptor 10 months ago
brontoraptor
*raping
Posted by brontoraptor 10 months ago
brontoraptor
So animals raing other animals is immoral