Christianity is more peaceful than Islam
before we start I'd just like to have a few ground rules
1. No feelings or personal opinions. This is an objective debate and personal biases cannot interfere with facts
2. No cherry picking or straw man arguments. If you cant argue a point, simply do the honest thing and concede.
3. All quotes and excerpts from holy books (Koran, Bible etc.) must be properly cited with the version of the book (Ex. NKJV, ASV etc.)
4. If a Muslim is going to debate me, please remain objective with names and books. For example acronyms like pbuh or swt should not be used as they waste space and make arguments difficult to read. we are looking at this from an objective and secular point of view.
I look forward to what should be a very interesting and thought provoking debate. :)
I thank Pro for instigating this debate, I accept his challenge, & I hope this will prove to be an interesting debate.
1. Most Muslim countries are failed states while primarily Christian nations are wealthy and prosperous
2. Islam currently has the most extremists of any religion with hundreds of Islamic terrorist groups killing innocent civilians every day in the name of Allah. While it is true that Christian terrorist groups exist, they are very small compared to their muslim counterparts and their acts of terror are much less severe and find little to no backing from the Bible.
3. Several hundred Christian charities exist for non Christians and they provide aid and relief for displaced muslims while Islam does not operate nearly any charities for international aid. Christian Aid workers are also often at risk for kidnapping from islamic terrorists for helping in those countries
4. When Christians live in Muslim countries, they are constantly persecuted and are denied churches and houses of worship. When Muslims come to Christian countries, they are accepted as useful members of society and are allowed to gather and build mosques freely.
5. Christians in Muslim countries are killed for peacefully expressing their desire for equality. Muslims in Christian countries violently protest and demand that the government and schools change to fit their needs, claiming racism whenever they are criticized for their behavior.
6. Sharia law is considered higher than constitutional law in almost all Muslim countries. Sharia law promotes oppression, veiling of women, mandatory beards, religious police and a tax for non muslims. Christianity has no concept of religious law and separates church and state. with the exception of canon law, which only applies to clergy and is much less restricting than sharia.
there are also several differences between the patrons of Islam (Muhammed) and Christianity (Jesus Christ).
1. Muhammed was a bandit and a warrior while Jesus was a preacher and a carpenter
2. Muhammed preached violence and demanded bodyguards while Jesus preached peace and chastised anyone who attempted to defend him with force
3. Muhammed took 12 wives and claimed revelations from god to justify his sex harems and polygamy. Jesus was celibate and never looked upon a woman in a lustful way
4. Muhammed married a 9 year old girl, fondled her and BATHED with her. Jesus ... well... didn't do that.
5. Muhammed spread his message through hate and war, killing anyone who wouldn't convert and taxing non muslims. Jesus spread his message through peace and baptism, using the gospel to bring people to god.
6. Early Muslims persecuted and killed non Muslims. Early Christians lived in constant persecution from non christians
7. Jesus was said to do many miracles, with several eye witnesses bearing testament to his divinity while Muhammed was never able to do one miraculous thing in his life.
8. Muhammed: Demanded others die for him
Jesus: Suffered one of the most agonizing deaths for the sake of Humanity.
9. Jesus = most praised spiritual leader. Muhammed = most criticized spiritual leader.
Violent Verses in the Koran
Quran (2:191-193) - "And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing...
but if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)"
Quran (3:151) "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority". (This verse speaks directly of trinitarian christians, who Muhammad wrongfully believed to be polytheists)
Quran (8:12) - "I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them" (no reasonable person can interpret this to mean a spiritual struggle)
Quran (17:16) - "And when We wish to destroy a town, We send Our commandment to the people of it who lead easy lives, but they transgress therein; thus the word proves true against it, so We destroy it with utter destruction."
If I included all violent passages of the Koran in this argument, I would not have enough space. Now with all this in mind, We can see how Islamic terrorists can find justification for such terrible acts. The simple truth is that the Koran not only condones violence, but encourages it and claims that jihadis will have twice the reward in heaven as the peaceful muslims.
Another point to consider is the advent of Islam vs the advent of Christianity. Christianity began in 33 AD after Jesus of Nazerath (or Isa Ibn Maryam) was crucified in Jerusalem. After the 12 apostles of Jesus started the religion in the upper room of Mark's house, the Roman Government didn't skip a beat in banning it and killing any christians they found. The christians, instead of taking up arms to defend themselves (which would have been justifiable) chose to follow the teachings of Jesus and turn the other cheek. Christians lived in constant fear of death until Emperor Constantine legalized Christianty in the 3rd century. At this point, Christianity had spread to all corners of the world through peaceful preaching and missionary work.
The beginnings of Islam, however were extremely different and much more bloody than Christianity. Muhammed was born in Mecca to a pagan family in 570 C.E. There are debates as to whether he was a Merchant or a bandit but historical sources point to merchant as his likely occupation. In his mid 20s he married a wealthy widow named Khadija. Soon after this, he began to see visions in a cave which he believed to be "from God" but in reality, were likely hallucinations caused by dehydration and heat stroke. After his "revalation" of Islam, Muhammed began to preach in the Kabba, a pagan worship center with the arabian gods encircling it. After city authorities realized this, Muhammed was forced to emigrate to Medina where he received a much warmer welcome. In Medina, he gathered an army and told his followers that it was their sacred duty to spread Islam, starting with Mecca. Only a few years after the advent of the Religion, Islam began to spread by force, capturing Medina and executing 800 jews in a single day. After the land of Arabia was conquered and forcefully converted by muslim armies. The religion of peace exploded across the borders into Egypt, Turkey, Asia and parts of Europe. This expansion persisted until the retaliatory crusades of Christians managed to stop the spread.
Early Christians used the gospel and preaching to convert
Early Muslims used force to convert
I anxiously await my Opponents response to these points
1. Qatar >>> 134,289.8 => Islam.
2. Macao SAR, China >>> $127,742.7 => Folk religion.
3. Luxembourg >>> $91,849.9 => Christianity.
4. Kuwait >>> $83,839.7 => Islam.
5. Singapore >>> $75,951.7 => Buddhism.
6. Brunei Darussalam >>> $72,953.9 => Islam.
7. Norway >>> $65,103.7 => Christianity.
8. United Arab Emirates >>> $59,845.3 => Islam.
9. Switzerland >>> $55,915.5 => Christianity.
10. Bermuda >>> $53,056.4 => Christianity.
11. Saudi Arabia >>> $52,042.5 => Islam.
12. United States >>> $51,495.9 => Christianity.
13. Hong Kong SAR, China >>> $51,176.2 => Unaffiliated.
14. Netherlands >>> $46,053.9 => Christianity.
15. Oman >>> $45,333.8 => Islam.
15. Rwanda >>> $1,425.6 => Christianity.
14. Guinea-Bissau >>> $1,415.7 => Islam.
13. Comoros >>> $1,410.2 => Islam.
12. Madagascar >>> $1,398.9 => Christianity.
11. Togo >>> $1,337.6 => Christianity.
10. Ethiopia >>> $1,262.5 => Christianity.
9. Guinea >>> $1,237.9 => Islam.
8. Eritrea >>> $1,201.0 => Christianity.
7. Mozambique >>> $1,038.8 => Christianity.
6. Central African Republic >>> $948.3 => Christianity.
5. Niger >>> $901.2 => Islam.
4. Liberia >>> $796.5 => Christianity.
3. Congo, Dem. Rep. >>> $755.2 => Christianity.
2. Malawi >>> $753.2 => Christianity.
1. Burundi $750.1 >>> Christianity.
mikethedebater2 forfeited this round.
Yassine forfeited this round.
Now when I put forth the evidence that most Muslim countries were failed states, my opponent immediately jumped to Qatar and Kuwait as well as the U.A.E. to rebut my claim. I will concede that these countries are not failed states. However, I clearly stated that NEARLY ALL Muslim countries were failed states. I have a few statistics of my own to share.
Syria = primarily muslim failed state
Iraq = primarily muslim failed state
Yemen = primarily muslim failed state
Libya = primarily muslim failed state
Somalia = primarily muslim failed state
Eritria = primarily muslim failed state
Sudan = primarily muslim failed state
Afghanistan = primarily muslim failed state
Chad = primarily muslim failed state
out of 22 arab nations, Id say about 18 of them are fragile or impoverished.
of the 20 top countries of the fragile states index, 9 were primarily Muslim countries. now you can hang on to the nations you mentioned claiming that they are an example of how Islam is prosperous but the truth is that those nations are rich because they have a secular government and no official state religion. Also, those countries benefit from their natural resources which make them rich off of western investment, not hard work. Countries like the U.S. and Canada became prosperous off of their own labor. The simple and irrefutable truth is that the majority of Muslim nations are in fact impoverished, ravaged by war, and a breeding ground for Islamic extremists who blame the west for problems that were very much their own.
Id also like to provide Con with some sources to my previous "assertions"
History of Islam: https://en.wikipedia.org...
History of Christianity: https://en.wikipedia.org...
Violent verses of the Koran: quran.com
criticisms of Mohammed: http://www.4truth.net...
List of differences between Islam and Christianity: www.thereligionofpeace.com/.../Jesus-Muhammad.htm
That should do it
With that rebuttal out of the way, Id like to raise a few more points to con.
As well as being an imperialistic and hateful religion by nature, Islam has many critics over its abuses of womens rights and religious/cultural tolerance. On the women s rights front, it is very well known that women in the Islamic world are among the most suppressed and underprivileged females in the world. From a young age, Muslim women (known as Muslimas in Arabic) are forced to wear a garment known as a Hijab that covers their hair and makes them "modest." More zealous nations such as Saudi Arabia and Iran force women to wear the much more uncomfortable and covering Niqab and Burqa, both of which cover the entire face and body of the woman. The reasons for these coverings are so that Women may remain "modest" in the presence of men as they may think lustful thoughts if the women are not completely covered. Now this raises a logical inconstancy in the practice. Rather than be forced to cover up, more liberal cultures would swap out the veil for a new style of teaching that taught men that women should wear what they like without fear of sexual advance. Rather than cover up women 24/7, Muslim men should be able to look at a Muslim woman and not feel lust for them. However, this is not the case. Another criticism of Islam is its widespread plauge of sexual and physical violence against women. In Egypt, 92 percent of women ages 15-49 have been subject to the torturous procedure of female genital mutilation, which I will not describe in detail as it is very disturbing. This crime is not limited to Egypt. Significant portions of women all over the Muslim world have been subject to this painful and usually botched procedure. (http://www.stopfgmmideast.org...) The Koran also preaches that husbands may beat disobedient wives.
Qur'an (4:34) "Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great."
Qur'an (38:44) - "And take in your hand a green branch and beat her with it, and do not break your oath..." Allah telling Job to beat his wife
This simple fact shows that in the area of Women's rights, Islam lacks the basic elements with which a woman may call herself "free". Now, lets contrast this view with Christian treatment of wives. In Judeo-Christian traditions, women are not required to wear any sort of veil or cover up in public because these religions expect their men to be able to control their desires out of love for god and respect for the woman. The Bible also preaches that men should love and respect their wives as the two, husband and wife, become one flesh upon marrying. (Mark 10:8).
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her (Eph. 5:25)
In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. (Eph. 5:28)
In the end, we can conclude that on the subject of women's rights, Christianity wins out as the more liberal and progressive ideology for feminism.
Women's rights is not the only category where Christianity trumps Islam. In the treatment of minorities, Christianity proves to be far more accepting and mindful of other cultures than Islam. When Islamic armies would invade or conquer a province, they would rape the women, force the men into slavery and force them to pay a special tax called the jizya which among other things, funded Islamic warriors fighting their countrymen. Essentially, Muslim armies forced their enemies to dig their own graves. Even today, we see this resentful treatment of minorities persist in nations such as Iran, Syria, Iraq, etc. where Muslims have become the majority and are free to oppress and mistreat minorities. There are several Christian nations in which there are many more Christians than Muslims. A notable example of one of these countries is Uganda. In Uganda, Christians make up 88 percent of the population where as Muslims make up about 11.9 percent (https://en.wikipedia.org...) Uganda is also a very poor country that is usually likened to Syria and Iraq, which are plagued by instability as well. However, there is a large difference between religious violence in Uganda vs Syria. In Syria, the Christian minority is rounded up and murdered by Islamic extremists with no government to keep them in check. With this in mind, we would expect Ugandan Christians to rape and murder Muslims as well. However, in such circumstances, the Christian majority in Uganda does not mistreat the Muslim minority while their counterparts in Syria slaughter Christians in droves. The circumstances in both countries are the same, but the religions and teachings are different. Even in circumstances like war torn Syria, Ugandan Christians exercise the love and peace taught to them in the bible despite there being no force to stop them should they want to kill Muslims. In fact, the only religious violence that occurs in Uganda is the Muslim MINORITY kidnapping christian girls and force converting them. http://dash.harvard.edu...
I await my opponents responses to these points and hope he will offer some of his own.
Yassine forfeited this round.
|Who won the debate:||-||-|