Christianity is the One True Faith

Hello, I would like to do this debate on why I believe Christianity is the One True Religion.
My opponent will hopefully be HermanGomez95 who I debated earlier on the issue of whether or not the Constitution should be replaced with the Bible as our Nations document on Laws and Morals. We will have 5 rounds with 72 hours to argue and an open voting period for 10 full days.

My only rule is that we keep this debate calm, and we respect each others beliefs on this delicate matter of Faith.

Thank you for accepting and may the best argument win!

Thanks to Pro for instigating this debate.

While normally Pro would go first in such a debate, I’ll happily utilize this time to post my arguments.

Pro asserts that Christianity is the one true religion. If this assertion is to be proven true, Pro must do the following: accredit his belief system with supporting, discredit my belief system with refuting evidence.

With that in mind, I will be arguing that Pro’s assertion is false because there is no “One True Religion”. While I firmly hold semi-religious beliefs myself, I do not believe that only one religion is true. There is plenty of evidence to refute my religion, just as there is plenty of evidence to refute others. While some may believe in Christianity, there is no evidence to suggest that it is the only true religion in existence. In fact, no religion is proven to be true, therefore there is no “One true religion.” Over the next few rounds, I will refute any attempts my opponent makes at attesting Christianity as factual truth and not a religious philosophy.

Good luck to my opponent and may the best argument win. Let’s keep this civil but impassioned!

Thank you for accepting this debate HermanGomez and I wish you the best of luck.

The first thing that I noticed you say is that I have to show compelling truth that Christianity is in fact the One True Faith. I plan to do just that my Friend.

I'd like to start out with a few basic pieces of proof the my Religion is True.

1. The first piece of evidence I have is all the prophecies fulfilled by Jesus Christ. Some of these prophecies include the facts that Messiah would have his hands and feet pierced( Crucifixion), he would speak in parables, he would be killed by the Religious Leaders of the time, darkness would fall upon the land, there would be an earthquake, his death would result in the Fall of Jerusalem( Titus 70 AD), he would do many miracles, he would go to Egypt, would be born of a virgin, would have water and blood come from his side, would remain silent during trial, and would make a Triumphant entry into Jerusalem.

2. My second piece of evidence is the Ressurection, in which there were over 500 witnesses, Testiomony by the Apostles, and the absence of Jesus Body to this day.

3. My last piece of evidence is that Scripture prophesied the exact day Messiah would be made known thousands of years beforehand. In Daniel chapter 9 Gabriel said that from the commandment to restore Jerusalem to the Messiah would be 173,880 days(69 weeks of 360 day years.) If you do the math you realize that from the decree of Artaxerxes Longimanus on March 12, 445 BC from the Triumphant entry on April 6, AD 32 is precisely 173880 days! Jesus himself wept when he said "If thou had known in this your day the things which belonged to your piece are his from your eyes."

These are my first 3 pieces and I'll turn it to you.

My opponent does good work In providing Biblical references to prove the validity of his argument.

HOWEVER, for one to concede to these arguments, one would first have to admit the Bible is irrefutably true. That assertion is false. The Bible is not 100% truth, therefore my opponent’s arguments are irrelevant and should be ignored.

I’ll go into that assertion further in the next few rounds. But, until then, I’ll turn the argument over to my opponent.

I’m very anxious to see what he argues next!

Once again I'd like to give a thanks to HermanGomez for accepting this debate and I'll try my hardest to show as much proof for Christianity as I can.

I did notice that you said that to make my claims valid the Scriptures have to be 100% True and you claim there not. Your assertion has no evidence to back it up and considering that no one has every proven the Bible to be wrong I don't see any validity in your claims. However, even if one wrong thing in a book written by say Albert Einstein was wrong that doesn't mean you just throw the whole book out( Strange comparison but I think it gets the point across.) People claim that because you can't see it or overwhelmingly prove it then it's not true correct? Well the wind has never been observed, emotions have never been proven, and not even math can be proven with something as simple as Science but that doesn't mean it's not true does it?

I'd like to go back to a few of the prophecies I mentioned and give a couple quick nonChristian historical sources to prove them.

Darkness and an Earthquake on the land was confirmed by Thallus who said- " The whole world there pressed a most fearful darkness and the rocks were rent by an Earthquake and many places in Judea and other districts were thrown down."

Origen against Celsus says-" In whose reign Jesus appeared to be crucified and the Great Earthquakes which then took place."

We also have one of the most reliable Historians in History by the name of Josephus state that- "About this time Jesus, a wise man, if it is right to call him a man, for he was a worker of astonishing deed, a teacher of such men that receive the truth with Joy, and he drew to himself many Jews and Greeks. This man was the CHRIST. And when Pilate at the denunciation of the foremost among us had condemned him to the cross, those who first loved him did not abandon him, but he appeared to them alive on the third day. The holy prophets having foretold this and many other marvels about him."

We also have many rabbinical sources that testify of Jesus.
"On the eve of Passover they hung Jesus for he had practices Magic"
" When the disciples found the tomb empty they realized he had been risen. And the Jewish authorities also came and found it empty."

I guess I'll turn it over to you for the moment.

HermanGomez95 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has forfeited this round, I guess I'll just put down some more evidence to support the Christian Faith.

This part will be on the Ressurection.
The first piece of evidence we have for the Ressurection is that fact that the 12 Apostles all believed that they saw the ressurected Christ. The only two possibilities for this is that either they all had hallucinations, made up the story, or actually saw the Ressurected Christ. The first option is highly implausible due to the fact that the definition of a hallucination is something seen by one individual. If more than one person saw it then it can't be a hallucination. If I were to tell a group of 11 friends that I see a deer, but they don't see it then I'm probably hallucinating. On the other hand, if all 12 of us saw the deer then it's not a hallucination.It's similar to a dream in many ways. How many people have the exact same dream at the exact same time? So a we can see, the hallucination theory is implausible. The next theory is the theory that the disciples lied. Well the problem with this is that how many people die for a lie that they KNOW is false. Many people die for things they've heard, but nobody dies for something they know is false. Not to mention, if it was a lie, then all the Jews and Romans would have had to do is shown the body. The Romans didn't want a Ressurection because it threatened the authority of Ceasar and neither did the Jews because it threatened theirs. So now we realize that the body had to have gone somewhere and was either stolen by disciples, hid by Rome, or the Ressurection happened. The first is impossible for a couple reasons. Jesus was seen as an enemy and traitor to both the Jews and Romans. The Romans would never have left a self proclaimed Messiah left unguarded. And neither would the Jews mainly because they realized that he said he would ressurect himself. In this case, the tomb would have naturally been protected by well trained soldiers and marked with the seal of Rome. And as we know, the only way the Disciples could have pulled this off is if they were ninjas, and even then Rome would have hunted them down in a week. Next we have the belief that Rome hid the body in which case, that would have only make them look weak. And needless to say Rome was the bully of bullies. And even when Christianity grew and refused to worship the emperors all they had to do is show the body or at least show records to show Jesus was still dead.

In conclusion to these basic arguments it seems highly probable the Ressurection did in fact happen and the Apostles and the 500 witnesses were willing to die horrible deaths by poison, fire, crucifixion, banishment, and even beheading for what they knew was the truth.

Apologies to my opponent for forfeiting the previous round. I’ll simply call it technological issues this site was giving me. However, I return to post my rebuttals.

My opponent makes an erroneous assertion when he says “no one has every proven the Bible to be wrong I don't see any validity in your claims.” In fact, there are several ways to prove my assertion that the Bible is false. I’ll be using the preferred argument of similarities in mythology.

To use supporting evidence, I’ll quote an essay from Daniel Miessler, in which he states the following: “The similarities between the stories and characters in the Bible and those from previous mythologies are both undeniable and well-documented. It is only due to extreme the extreme religious bias that pervades our world today that people rarely get exposed to this information.” [1]

The following quote refutes the Bible’s earnestness just by refuting the story of Christ. (Bear with it… it is quite long.)

“Perhaps even more compelling is the story of Christ himself. As it turns out it’s not even remotely original. It is instead nothing more than a collection of bits and pieces from dozens of other stories that came long before. Here are some examples.

Asklepios healed the sick, raised the dead, and was known as the savior and redeemer.

Hercules was born of a divine father and mortal mother and was known as the savior of the world. Prophets foretold his birth and claimed he would be a king, which started a search by a leader who wanted to kill him. He walked on water and told his mother, “Don’t cry, I’m going to heaven.” when he died. As he passed he said, “It is finished.“

Dionysus was literally the “Son of God”, was born of a virgin mother, and was commonly depicted riding a donkey. He healed the sick and turned water to wine. He was killed but was resurrected and became immortal. His greatest accomplishment was his own death, which delivers humanity itself.

Osiris did the same things. He was born of a virgin, was considered the first true king of the people, and when he died he rose from the grave and went to heaven.

Osiris’s son, Horus, was known as the “light of the world”, “The good shepherd”, and “the lamb”. He was also referred to as, “The way, the truth, and the life.” His symbol was a cross.

Mithra‘s birthday was celebrated on the 25th of December, his birth was witnessed by local shepherds who brought him gifts, had 12 disciples, and when he was done on earth he had a final meal before going up to heaven. On judgment day he’ll return to pass judgment on the living and the dead. The good will go to heaven, and the evil will die in a giant fire. His holiday is on Sunday (he’s the Sun God). His followers called themselves “brothers”, and their leaders “fathers”. They had baptism and a meal ritual where symbolic flesh and blood were eaten. Heaven was in the sky, and hell was below with demons and sinners.

Krishna had a miraculous conception that wise men were able to come to because they were guided by a star. After he was born an area ruler tried to have him found and killed. His parents were warned by a divine messenger, however, and they escaped and was met by shepherds. The boy grew up to be the mediator between God and man.

Buddha‘s mother was told by an angel that she’d give birth to a holy child destined to be a savior. As a child he teaches the priests in his temple about religion while his parents look for him. He starts his religious career at roughly 30 years of age and is said to have spoken to 12 disciples on his deathbed. One of the disciples is his favorite, and another is a traitor. He and his disciples abstain from wealth and travel around speaking in parables and metaphors. He called himself “the son of man” and was referred to as, “prophet”, “master”, and “Lord”. He healed the sick, cured the blind and deaf, and he walked on water. One of his disciples tried to walk on water as well but sunk because his faith wasn’t strong enough.

Apollonius of Tyana (a contemporary of Jesus) performed countless miracles (healing sick and crippled, restored sight, casted out demons, etc.) His birth was of a virgin, foretold by an angel. He knew scripture really well as a child. He was crucified, rose from the dead and appeared to his disciples to prove his power before going to heaven to sit at the right hand of the father. He was known as, The Son of God.” [1]

Beyond that argument, there are more scientific arguments refuting the assertion that the Bible is true. According to an article by The Church of Reality,

“If we were to believe the Bible, then we would have to believe the Earth was created before the stars, which is the wrong order. If the stars were created 10,000 years ago, we wouldn't be able to see stars that are more than 10,000 light years away. That's because if a star was further away than 10,000 light years, the light from that star wouldn't have got here yet. Our galaxy alone is about 100,000 light years across. If the Bible were true, we wouldn't be able to see but 1/10th the way across our own galaxy. We surely wouldn't be able to see other galaxies or galactic clusters or know that the universe is expanding.” [2]

There are many more publications refuting the Bible. There are also many more arguments. If you go to, you’ll find at least 10 arguments refuting the Bible as truth.

Of these arguments, the following points are made:

1. The accounts of Jesus’ death and resurrection as depicted in the gospels are in serious conflict.

2. The concepts of heaven, hell, eternal life, etc., all predate Christianity as does a savior-god who died and was resurrected. (See Zoroastrianism, Osiris, Dionysus, etc.)

3. There are no historical writings by any first century historian that mention Jesus by name

4. Almost every miracle and event in Jesus’ life can be found in the Old Testament stories.

5. Jesus is depicted as believing the Old Testament verbatim and therefore invalidates himself since much of the Old Testament can be shown to be false.

6. Jesus is not foreshadowed in the Old Testament

7. Isaiah 7's virgin (or young maiden) birth is not a prophecy about a coming messiah.

8. Jesus promised to return from heaven within the lifetimes of his listeners – he never did. X

9. The Messiah was to be of the lineage of David yet Jesus was born of a virgin!

10. Jesus sinned by making himself unclean when he touched the leper and dead girl (a violation of Levitical law which all Jews were under. Jesus himself agreed he was under the law.) [3]

Since there is continual proof that the Bible is false, I reinsert my earlier argument here. Since Pro has the BoP, he MUST prove the Bible is true to prove that Christianity is the ONE TRUE religion.

JMan1424 forfeited this round.

Since my opponent has forfeited the last round, I'll all arguments here. Since we both forfeited a round, I ask that you disregard both forfeits and vote on our arguments.

With that in mind, I'd like you to consider the fact that Pro was unable to prove his assertions, therefore, he should not win.
By all means, Vote CON!
Posted by JMan1424 1 year ago
Uh did you notice all the non biblical evidence I put down ?!?! :)
As for the whole Bible is corrupt deal. Please stop kidding yourself this has never been proven and the majority of scholars have stopped using it based on the fact that we have answers.

PS I already answered all your supposed contradiction Julia so if you can back up your claims then please send me more.
Posted by Julia5678 1 year ago
@JMan1424, do you have any other evidence to prove the truth of your religion?!! You just can quote your Scripture?! It is your only evidence? Then what would you do if someone proves you that your Scripture is corrupted? Then, how can you defend your faith without the Bible? We can prove the existence of God without quoting the heavenly books. We can prove the Justice of God without quoting the heavenly books. But how can you defend your beliefs without the Bible?
Posted by JMan1424 1 year ago
If your a Christian then why wouldn't you want to defend your Faith? And since when has the constitution been established above God?
Posted by HermanGomez95 1 year ago
This debate is seemingly impossible. However, if my opponent does good work refuting my opinions, he will rightfully win. Give the man a chance.
Posted by srhelsel609 1 year ago
This debate is impossible, under the 1st amendment of U.S. Constitution, that citizens have freedom of religion and there is no true religion. Let people believe what people what to believe (I am a christian).
Vote Placed by imabench 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Always hard to deal with a FF so deep into a debate, but con just about had this locked up even before then