Jestkidding
RonPaulConservative

Christianity is true

Jestkidding has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Jestkidding

Pro

I will be arguing for two positions on which Christianity stands or falls

1) the God of the Bible exists
2) Jesus was God

In order to argue for the first point, I will use a proof for God's existence based upon the finitude of the universe. Everything that begins to exist, arises from a sufficient cause. The universe began to exist according to all empirical evidence, at a singularity known as the Big Bang. Since we have established that such things that begin to exist have causes, and that the universe began to exist, it follows trivially that the universe has a cause. You can summarize this line of reasoning as follows

1) everything that has a beginning to its existence, has a cause of its existence
2) the universe began to exist
3) therefore the universe has a cause

Now we look at the ontological reality of this beginner of the universe. The beginner of the universe must be a thing of pure potential, since no limits can be imposed on the state of nothingness existent prior to the beginning of the universe. Such a being would have all the "omni" traits of the Abrahamic God of the Bible. It would also have to be conscious, as being outside time it would exist eternally, and since the universe is a finite effect, only a personal agent could affect such an effect, furthermore, it would be timeless and spaceless, sans the universe at any rate, as it would be outside space and time, and there are only two things that fit this paradigm, numbers or else an abstract mind. Since numbers can't call anything, this thing would have to be an abstract mind.

Now the above argument only proves an Abrahamic God. My second argument will be based on Jesus' resurrection.

I will use Bayes theorem to show that on balance, it is more likely than not that Jesus rose from the dead, thus fulfilling his Messianic claims. We have four facts that make the resurrection likely to have occurred;

1) many people saw Jesus after he died, separately and independently and unknowing of others' experiences
2) the witnesses of the risen Jesus were women, women at the time Jesus had lived were not regarded as reliable witnesses thus it is less likely that the Bible was lying about women witnessing Christ
3) Jesus was buried in a tomb by Joseph of Arimathea, a member of the Sanhedrin (Jewish court) therefore, his death must have been known by Jew and non-Jew alike. That means the disciples could not have gotten away with claiming his resurrection in Jerusalem, and no tractate of the Jews or other enemies of Christians at that time claim his body was still in his grave
4) the original disciples of Jesus all believed Jesus rose from the dead despite having every predisposition to the contrary. These were Jews who did not believe in resurrection, except on the day of judgment at the end of the world.

The probability of Jesus resurrection on these historically contingent facts is very probable. Therefore, we should believe in the truth of Jesus. I we accept the first argument, we should also accept that the Abrahamic God exists.
RonPaulConservative

Con

Jesus was not G-d for 2 reasons:
1. G-d is not a man
2. Jesus dfid not fit the description of G-d set up in the OT

G-D IS NOT A MAN
The Tanakh says in Numbers 23:19:
“God is not a man, that He should lie, Nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?"

Hosea 11:9 says:
"I will not execute the fierceness of My anger; I will not again destroy Ephraim. For I am God, and not man, The Holy One in your midst; And I will not come with terror."

JESUS DOES NOT FIT THE DESCRIPTION OF G-D
Isaiah 40:28:
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom."
Jesus, on the other hand, did grow tired, and his understanding we can fathom.