godgirl04
Ryanemge

Christianity is very hypocritical.

godgirl04

Pro

First I feel it is important for me to define my terms
Christianity: the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices.
Hypocritical: behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case.

Now I would like to go into the arguments for todays debate. We must understand that Christians preach to many, and Christianity is one of the major religions in the United States. Now I am not slamming on Christians at all, I am just stating facts.
Christians preach that lying, cheating, cursing etc. is sins. But yet if you ask them if they have ever told a lie then they will tell you yes. So how does this make any sense? They tell you that it is wrong for you to do something that yet they do it everyday, and admit to doing it.

Also Christianity leads to many cults. Look at Mormonism and Catholicism, they both believe that they are only right. Therefore they begin wasting their entire lives to believe in something that they really aren't sure if it is true or not.
Ryanemge

Con

I agree to take to contrary position and argue that Christianity not hypocritical.

First I want to address my opponents definition of hypocrisy which she stated as "behaving in a way that suggests one has higher standards or more noble beliefs than is the case." A better definition of hypocrisy is the false profession of desirable or publicly approved qualities, beliefs, or feelings, esp. a pretense of having virtues, moral principles, or religious beliefs that one does not really possess (1).

My opponent said "Christians preach that lying, cheating, cursing etc. is sins. But yet if you ask them if they have ever told a lie then they will tell you yes." She seems to be confused about the definition of hypocrisy. She says Christians preach against lying but admit to having lied. To clarify, It is not hypocritical when you include yourself in the condemnation of lying. The key here is the honesty. Christians are identifying within themselves that they are not meeting their proclaimed high standard and their ultimate desire is to be perfect like Christ. Furthermore, the burden of a Christian is sin, which is overcome by repenting of our sin and accepting Christs forgiveness. There is a difference between saying i'm against lying, giving the impression you don't lie when in fact you do AND saying I am a liar and don't want to be, and therefore I am putting my faith in Christ to help me overcome my sin.

Paul said in Philippians 3:12-13 "Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus

To be a hypocrite you must falsely profess to be against lying and in action doing nothing to stop lying or hide your lying. Its a heart issue. Consider what Jesus said in Matthew 15:7 "You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: ""This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.""

Proof Christianity is not hypocritical:
A1: Jesus did not teach hypocrisy, in fact he rebuked hypocrisy!
A2: If some Christians are hypocritical that is not an indictment of all of Christianity
Therefore,
Conclusion: Christianity is not hypocritical

my opponent defines Christianity as "the religion based on the person and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, or its beliefs and practices." But then tries to argue that it is a hypocritical faith because some Christians are hypocrites. It is really impossible to argue her point considering Jesus taught against hypocrisy and constantly rebuked the pharisees regarding their hypocrisy. In the new testament the word hypocrite is mentioned 18 times. Here are a few of Jesus's teachings regarding hypocrisy:

Matthew 6:2 "So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they may be honored by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Matthew 6:5 "When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Matthew 6:16 [Fasting; The True Treasure; Wealth (Mammon) ] "Whenever you fast, do not put on a gloomy face as the hypocrites do, for they neglect their appearance so that they will be noticed by men when they are fasting. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

Matthew 7:4-6 4 how can you say to your brother, "Let me take the speck out of your eye," and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother"s eye.

Matthew 23:13 [ Eight Woes ] "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

Matthew 23:14 [Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows" houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.]

Matthew 23:15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.

Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done

Matthew 23:25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence.

Matthew 23:27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men"s bones and all uncleanness.

Matthew 23:29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,

Matthew 24:51 and will cut him in pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Mark 7:6 And He said to them, "Rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written: "This people honors Me with their lips, But their heart is far away from Me.

Luke 6:42 Or how can you say to your brother, "Brother, let me take out the speck that is in your eye," when you yourself do not see the log that is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take out the speck that is in your brother"s eye.

Bottom line: Jesus condemned hypocrisy. And considering He is the author of Christianity, it therefore cannot be a hypocritical faith.

What if I told you that black men commit the most crime in America. Does that mean all black men are criminals? Of course not, that would be considered discrimination to make such a judgement. Certainly it can be shown that a lot of Christians are hypocrites, but does that mean all Christians are hypocrites? To make such an argument is to throw the baby out with the bath water. It requires an indictment of every christian because of the guilt of some.

Miscellaneous:
My opponent said "Also Christianity leads to many cults. Look at Mormonism and Catholicism, they both believe that they are only right. Therefore they begin wasting their entire lives to believe in something that they really aren't sure if it is true or not." This has nothing to do with the discussion of whether Christianity as a whole is hypocritical or not. There is only one true Christianity and that is found in the bible. To say because people like Mormons or Catholics believe their interpretations are true Christianity doesn't disprove the message of Christ or in any way support that Jesus is a hypocrite.

(1) http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
godgirl04

Pro

godgirl04 forfeited this round.
Ryanemge

Con

I don't have much to contribute until my opponent responds....so I await her rebuttal...
godgirl04

Pro

godgirl04 forfeited this round.
Ryanemge

Con

Ryanemge forfeited this round.
godgirl04

Pro

godgirl04 forfeited this round.
Ryanemge

Con

So it appears my opponent agrees that Christianity is not hypocritical....
godgirl04

Pro

Christians are notorious for being hypocritical. Why is that?

A recent study found that among the various perceptions of Christians, the third most common is that they’re hypocritical.1 Eighty-five percent of respondents between the ages of sixteen and twenty-nine voiced this reaction to Christians.2 Let’s explore this perception. First, what is a hypocrite? Most simply, it’s a person who says one thing but does another. Merriam-Webster defines a hypocrite as “a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion” or “acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs.”3 So why are Christians in particular viewed as so hypocritical?

Basic Christianity
To begin, we must understand a bit of what Christianity is all about. For the sake of space, an overly simplistic description is this: Christianity is the fulfillment of God’s plan to restore a broken world through the person of Jesus. Two keys to Christianity include the belief that 1) the world is broken,4 and 2) God is in the process of restoring the world. Christians believe that not long after its creation, the world went awry. When we humans chose our own way rather than God’s—you might recall the story of Adam and Eve—we got what we wanted. But in the process we also became alienated from our creator. According to Christian understanding, without delay, God began to institute his plan to restore our relationship with him. As part of the plan, he chose specific people—the Israelites—constituted a nation from them, and made his presence clearly known in the world. Through the successes and failures of this “chosen people,” God prepared the world to receive his son, Jesus, who would redeem the world and humanity forever.

Hypocrisy Doesn’t Discriminate
Perhaps the most important realization we can have is that hypocrisy is ubiquitous. That is, hypocrisy is not limited to one religious, racial, gender, or age group. Indeed, even the nation of Israel—God’s chosen people—exemplified inconsistency between beliefs and lifestyle.5 Most of us can highlight a myriad of examples of similar inconsistencies today: the communist leader who lives like a king while the common people stand in line for a loaf of bread; the vegetarian who slips quietly into a burger shop for a secret indulgence; the politician who claims to have principles yet changes her policy after reading the polls. The list goes on. So is it any surprise that Christians can fall prey to the same misdeed? They are people, after all—flawed people. Sinners, even. In fact, the apostle Paul, one of the most revered ancient Christian writers, admitted: “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.”6 I’d wager that we can all relate to that. The truth is, we’re all like that, aren’t we? We all want to live differently than we do. We wish we were nicer, more honest, more selfless, more giving. We’d like to be more concerned about those less fortunate than us. We want to live consistently with those things we believe are true, noble, right, pure, and lovely.7 This is an almost universal desire.

Pursuing Perfection
In addition to this, Christians are actually called to perfection. Matthew 5:48 plainly states, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”8 Quite a daunting task, don’t you think?9 In fact, perfection is an ideal that no person can attain in this life. We all know this, if we’re being honest. All anyone can do is make the effort to actively strive toward perfection. This is where humility comes into play. The problem arises when we pretend that we’re better than we really are. We act nice, but really we backstab and manipulate. We want people to think we’re truthful, but actually we are quite deceptive. Most people would say that you’re a good person, but the skeletons in your closet might change their minds. When Christians’ pride won’t allow them to admit that they cannot attain perfection but are simply in the process of pursuing it—that they, in fact, struggle with sin—hypocrisy enters the equation.

The Irony of Hypocrisy
But here’s the ironic twist to the story. The fact that Christians—or all people, really—are hypocrites is the exact reason Christianity exists: We all need a savior. Every person is flawed and broken, whether we like to admit it or not. The Bible states, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”10 And Jesus came to fix a broken world. I’d wager most people would acknowledge they’ve got a ways to go to reach perfection. But the above statement goes on to say: “All are justified freely by [God’s] grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.”11 In other words, through Jesus, we all can be redeemed and restored.

Until Then
If the story of Christianity is true, then one day, there will be no more brokenness and hypocrisy. But until then, will Christians continue to sin? Absolutely. (Though, hopefully, they’ll do so less and less as they grow and are restored to the people God created them to be.) Will Christians continue to be hypocritical? Unfortunately, some will. But for those who humbly acknowledge their sin to themselves, to God, and to the world, there is no room for hypocrisy—only a desperate need for a savior.
Ryanemge

Con

Ryanemge forfeited this round.
Posted by Ryanemge 2 years ago
Ryanemge
Having just a 12 hr period to respond sucks. I did not see my opponents response until this morning...
Posted by The-Holy-Macrel 2 years ago
The-Holy-Macrel
Extend the time to respond to 72 hours and i will accept.
Posted by Raytrek 2 years ago
Raytrek
People are flawed, generally Christians know that, even about themselves. I'd say there are sins we do knowingly and willingly and there are sins we commit that are not in our power or knowledge to avoid. I think the idea is that we do our best where we can, no one can really ask for more than that, and you don't have to believe in anything to do that, you just have to observe what actions have benefit and what hurt people. Generally no one really wants to hurt anyone, it is only when we ourselves are hurt that we seek revenge on those who did it, but a lot of the time they didn't mean to do that.

It is because we are linear beings (we do not know the future) we have our limits of both knowledge and physical ability, and the universe is a dynamic place, as a result we get a lot of things wrong, we don't mean to, who would really want to do things less than the best way? No one, but we often cannot help it. But it is true some people don't care about others or what they do, and those people tend to make a lot of enemies that see them as a threat, if these people were selfish they would do the right thing because it is safer for themselves, but instead they just don't realise how reality works, probably they don't care. But the worst people are those who don't care but pretend they do, they exploit and manipulate people and hide their behaviour or blame others, blame anything but themselves, that is called narcissism and it is a serious neurological defect.
Posted by morrisnj 2 years ago
morrisnj
Sorry Kasmic! @kasmic
Posted by kasmic 2 years ago
kasmic
@morrisnj you beat me to it!