Christianity makes no sense

The focus of this argument is Jesus dying so we can go to heaven. I do not understand how humans killing God's son justifies humans being closer to God. I do not understand how having the offender kill your son relieves the offender of his wrong doing. To me, Christianity makes no sense.

First of all, I assume you believe in the Bible and everything that is in it. Otherwise, this debate is pointless. With that said, I will be basing my whole side of this debate based on scripture from the Bible. I'm also going to assume you have a basic knowledge of the Bible. In case you don't, I'll provide scripture sources to everything I say so you can read it yourself. Good luck.

Humans are sinful. God created Adam and Eve in the image of Himself. Unfortunately, Adam and Eve have a flesh. and our flesh is what makes us sin. So from the very beginning of times, mankind has sinned which ultimately results in us being imperfect.

God, however, is perfect. God is so perfect in fact, that he can't even look at sin. So, in old testament times, people would have to give a sacrifice(your best cow) and offer it to the Lord for our sins. So as long as you give your sacrifice when you sin, your sins are forgiven. (Remember, thats old testament times so that no longer abides today.)

God sent his only son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins. Which makes Jesus the ultimate sacrifice. Why can Jesus be the ultimate sacrifice and not the cow? Because Jesus is both 100% man and 100% God. Which means he can be a sacrifice but he's also a perfect one because he never sinned. So God gave His only son so that our sins could be forgiven forever.

Romans crucified Jesus because he claimed to be God. Which is true, he did claim to be God, but it's because he was God(because of the trinity, Jesus and God are the same thing).

Humans are sinful and that's why they killed Jesus. Christians were not part of the crucification.

Jesus gave his life because he loved us and he wanted us to have a choice. Without Jesus, we would all die and go straight to hell because of our sin. But because Jesus died, he took our sin from us. So now when God looks at us, he no longer sees the sin we committed. If we give our lives to God, we can now go to Heaven.

The reason the offender is relieved of his wrong doing is because God forgives us for our sin. God loves us and so he forgives the wrong doings of the offender. We can now go to heaven because Jesus died on the cross.

I hope I was able to relieve some of your confusion.
I look forward to the next round.

Genesis 3
Hebrews 9:22
Habakkuk 1:13
John 10:30
1 Corinthians 8:6
John 19

All of the previous sacrifices for sin in the Bible was a person consciously giving up something he had. The apostles, however, had no choice in giving up Jesus.

Why would God send his son, so non-Christians can kill him? Then why do Christians get saved for not killing him?

Why are sacrifices perfect if they never sinned? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it impossible for animals to sin? And haven't babies never sinned? So would killing babies and animals be the perfect sacrifice as well? Or is the fact that he is God, make God want people to sacrifice him more?

Different Points...

I think you are way over generalizing the people who killed Jesus. Nobody living had any part in killing Jesus. Does that put us on par to reap the rewards that the Christians should get? After all everyone living had just an important role in Jesus's death as his apostles. That is, they had nothing to do with it and they can't stop it.

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
Christians aren't saved because they didn't kill him. They're saved because God gave his one and only Son, and if we believe we can have eternal life with God.

First, all creation was tainted by the fall so an animal sacrifice could never be sufficient. Also, it was a man's sin that started it all so a man had to be offered as the perfect sacrifice. Not an animal. And Jesus covered man's sins and God's demand for holiness. Babies couldn't work either because they do not have the 100% God side. Babies may not sin consciously, but they do have a flesh which gives them that nature to sin. Without the Godly side of the equation, babies can't be offered as a sacrifice either.

But doesnt God give us eternal life? How can he say he loves mankind, but also say he dislikes mankind enough for eternal damnation. That seems conflicted. Unless you say that God almighty is bound by rules, but who set those rules? The only way I could see the God giving his son as a sacrifice working is if God has no say in who goes to heaven. If he did, why would humans killing his son open up the door for humans who believed his son to go to heaven.

If God controls who goes to heaven, then: why would God make a sacrifice on our behalf of his son? He couldn't have just given all faithful Jews a leg up into heaven.

I have never heard of anyone who thought "These people wronged me, but if they kill my son and believed it was my son, then they are forgiven"

1. God does love mankind, but he hates the sin that has corrupt mankind.

2. God does not abide to rules, and there is no one higher to set those rules that don't exist.

3. You're using theoretical questions to support your claim yet you've shown no real research in The Bible or on the internet.

4. You're missing the point. Jesus was a sacrifice!
Sacrifice: Something offered or killed as a religious sacrifice.
God gave Jesus because of the sin that entered mankind. God knows that the only reason those people killed his son is because of the sin inside of them. God is forgiving. If a murdered decides to give their life to God, and repent from their sin, then they will be saved and they will go to Heaven.

A sacrifice of a God, to that same God, as is described in the Holy Trinity. This doesnt make any sense. With the concession that God has no rules to abide by, we are sacrificing directly to God. Now I am going to put this at a human perspective, since we are created in his image.

If a group killed your son wouldn't you be mad at that group? In what case would that group gain any standing with you afterwards. Do tell. Even if they killed your son as an offering to you, you wouldnt be mad that they killed your son?

So let me get this straight. You are saying that God sent his son full knowing he was going to be killed to man. Then God pretends he never knew that he gave man his son in the first place and in a feat of not caring that humans killed his son, said "Oh my gosh, you killed me just for me, I now love you unconditionally, on the condition that you believe that my son was God."

As this is the last round, I'll try to explain myself to the best of my ability.

1: I've said at least once, and I'll try to say it again. God sent his son because he
loves us. I don't know if you have kids of your own yet, but either way, I think you'll be able to relate to this example.

ex: A mom loves her child no matter what. Sometimes, however, the kid will disobey and disappoint his mother. However, the mom still loves her kid because she knows he's not perfect and he's going to mess up sometimes. No matter how much the kid hurts his mom, she will always do anything for him. Simply because a mom always loves her son.

That's the same with God. We are God's children. So his love for us is never ending. No matter what we do to hurt him, his love will stay true to us.

2: To your second point, yes. God was completely aware that man was going to kill his son, Jesus.

3: God didn't pretend he never knew he gave his son to man in the first place. When Jesus died on the cross he became our mediator. Meaning that God couldn't even see our sin. By Jesus dying on the cross, God could no longer see our sin. Jesus simply covered it.

For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, (1 Timothy 2:5)

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.(1 John 1:7)

4: and to the final point in your argument. You said,
"Oh my gosh, you killed me just for me, I now love you unconditionally, on the condition that you believe that my son was God."

God didn't love humans because they killed Jesus. Jesus was just the sacrifice. God loves humans unconditionally because we are his children. And though we are led astray sometimes, He will always love us.

Unfortunately, this is the final round so I will not get another response from you. Thank you for a fun debate and I hope you Christianity makes a little more sense to you after this debate. If you still have questions about the topic, feel free to send me a private message. Good luck.
Posted by Addison98 1 year ago
Missmedic, you mean you've never sinned? Ever? You're perfect?
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
The kids I refer to is us, God punishes us for the sins of Adam and Eve, by giving us original sin. So when I say "Punishing the children for the crimes of the parents is immoral" that is what I am talking about.
Posted by Addison98 1 year ago
Missmedic, the flesh part of his incarnation does die but his spiritual/holiness part is immortal. Though his flesh dies, it is raised again perfected and glorified. At no point did his divine spirit die.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.(John 3:16) God did this not because you asked but because he loves you. I fail to see what kids are punished? If you're referring to Jesus, He also wanted to do it. Both Jesus and God wanted to do it because of their love for us.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
The ontological argument attempts to prove God"s existence through abstract reasoning alone. The argument is entirely a priori, i.e. it involves no empirical evidence at all. Rather, the argument begins with an explication of the concept of God, and seeks to demonstrate that God exists on the basis of that concept alone.
Pascal"s Wager is an attempt to justify belief in God not with an appeal to evidence for his existence but rather with an appeal to self-interest. Pascal"s Wager illicitly assumes that if there is a way of getting into heaven then it is by believing in God.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
How is it that Jesus is both 100% man and 100% God, and yet he can die.
One of the key elements of morality is individual responsibility for ones own actions.
Vicarious redemption is immoral. I did not ask nor would I ask that someone be killed for any wrong I have done.
Punishing the children for the crimes of the parents (as in the case of original sin) is immoral.
Posted by TheOpinionist 1 year ago
*cough cough Ontological argument* *cough cough Pascal's wager*

both of which are sufficient reasons to believe in the Christian God from a purely intellectual standpoint
Posted by TyroneShelton 1 year ago
The claims made in the Bible are not in debate here. The generally accepted narrative by Christians is not in debate here.
Posted by Pro-lifeConservative 1 year ago
Romans 5:12 would aid in round one. No Christians had a part in the crucifixion because Christianity only existed after Jesus rose form the dead.
Posted by vi_spex 1 year ago
well then i agree
Posted by canis 1 year ago
No. great benefits...