DunderDwight
PonticGreekMacedonian

Christianity should be Extinct

DunderDwight

Pro

Christianity has no evidence backing the existence of God, the divinity of Jesus, and its evil acts have heavily outweighed its good ones. While science can not prove that God exists nor can the bible or any other means, prove his existence.
PonticGreekMacedonian

Con

Let me just say that everyone has their beliefs and I respect your opinions.

The Bible was the first book ever printed so that is proof that something was going on. By the way all religions are against murder and violent acts, it is the people that are being inhuman but there are no reasons to blame the religion. I am a Greek Orthodox Christian and I believe in God and Jesus and I do not know if they are real or not but that is why I have faith. Basically you are saying that it should be extinct which means destroying the Churches which means destroying the communities which means breaking the hearts of believers and making them feel worthless. Destroying a religion and breaking the hearts of others is a cruel thing to do and that is the last thing the world needs, the world will still be a cruel place without Christianity so there really is no point.
DunderDwight

Pro

Overall I do think that was a good point that taking away Christianity would destroy communities that have developed around the religion. But the bible being the first book to be printed is irrelevant.
When looking at the history of Christianity I see some good things, such as: charity work, community unity, and giving individual hope. If Christianity had stayed as individual belief that some people could choose to believe without influence then there would be no issues. But in America Christians have their fingers in every aspect of society today. Any political figures are afraid to say publicly they do not believe in God. The supreme court had to rule to keep mandatory prayer out of schools. The only reason homosexual marriage was illegal for so long was Christians imposing their personal beliefs on the laws of the country. My point being that Separation of Church and State has not been at all upheld in America because of Christianity's influence. It has held us back as a nation
PonticGreekMacedonian

Con

I wouldn't say they have every aspect in the community. Besides like I said it is not Christianity to blame, it is some of the people. So I say let people have their beliefs and let them have their religion, if people are upset about it then it is their problem that they even care.
DunderDwight

Pro

I would argue that when there is a majority (which Christianity is in America) that while either intentional or not, they have influence in everything. Attacks on homosexuals, Planned Parenthood, the KKK, and using the bible to protect slavery in the South. Just a few of the examples of people using Jesus's name to do horrible things. If Christianity had stayed to itself as a self contained entity, then by all means freedom of religion.
Now I'm not saying anyone should takes steps to abolish any religion, people have the right to live how they would like to. My point is that Christians have controlled the nation since its start and now that they are finally losing ground with expelling mandatory prayer from schools, gay marriage, and the extreme regulations on stem cell research they're starting to say they are being a prosecuted in a country where they are the majority. Christianity as a whole has regressed humanity back centuries and separation of church & state should widen more.
PonticGreekMacedonian

Con

PonticGreekMacedonian forfeited this round.
Posted by gavin_casey6 1 year ago
gavin_casey6
Hold up, police brutality? Please don't start with that crap they're doing they're job and that is to capture the criminal. And also, in all of the cases you spoke of, the person (Columbus, Founding Fathers, etc.) did that out of their own greed, not Christianity and almost all of them repented and came back to God. Columbus's expedition was first to open a trade route to India and the East but it was also to teach the natives there about God and the Bible. He wrote several times in his diary that it was God who kept them going and they placed their faith in Him and He delivered. Christianity is not the bad guy here, the people are. And also our Founding Fathers and the Pilgrims did a lot of things wrong but, again, it was not Christianity that made them do that. It was not killing for God like Isis and Al Qaeda are. It was out of greed for gold that made them do that. Christianity did not do that and saying that it should be EXTINCT for doing nothing is wrong.
Posted by DunderDwight 1 year ago
DunderDwight
Was founding this specific country the way it is worth slaughtering and giving the plague to an entire race? I say no. Eventually America would have been found by a western nation (and actually it had before by vikings) but it eventually would have been founded and in a parallel universe we could have treated the Native Americans with the smallest amount of human dignity.
Posted by PonticGreekMacedonian 1 year ago
PonticGreekMacedonian
But still if it weren't for him then there wouldn't be America so why don't you thank Christianity for the founding of your country.
Posted by DunderDwight 1 year ago
DunderDwight
You're right without Christianity Colombus wouldnt have had the funding to sail to America and claim lands inhabited by other people. He wouldn't murdered thousands and almost made an entire race extinct from diseases. That trip was not funded due to the goodness of religion, it was solely for monetary gain. Colombus was a monster to Native Americans same as the Founding Fathers. As for Thanksgiving, those pilgrims went to war with thise "barbarians" right after. And while the majority of this nations founders were religious pilgrims, the Founding Fathers (who by the way we're not as religious as you might like, as some of the biggest names were actually athiest) were the ones that set up separation of church and state. This is not a theocracy it's a democracy, religion should not run the country. And by the way, we are no where near the greatest: obesity, stupidity, police brutality, prison rates, higher education debt, and gun violence are through the roof when compared to other developed Western countries. We are not the greatest country in the world when Donald Trump is polling as well as he is.
Posted by gavin_casey6 1 year ago
gavin_casey6
What about the creation of our nation? The United States of America (the most powerful nation on earth) was
1) Found from Christianity- Christopher Columbus's expedition was only started and funded because of their faith in Christianity, and Christianity is the only thing that kept them going instead of turning back when it got rough.

2) Created by Christianity- Our Founding Fathers have based this entire country and made it what it is from the Bible and Christianity. Without that, we would only be a shadow of what a great country could be. Even when the Pilgrims started to settle in the New World they were completely firm in their Faith and they started everything. They created the alliance with the Native Americans in Thanksgiving which is actually celebrated by giving thanks to God and without Christianity none of that would've happened.
Posted by RookieApologist 1 year ago
RookieApologist
I agree with your stance on atheism, but I don't agree with your use of the term "straw man." A straw man fallacy is used in debates. It isn't typically used as an adjective to describe a role in a movie. Anyway, it's just semantics. Disagree if you like.

And there is nothing circular about analyzing the Bible with the Bible. If I was using the Bible to defend a stance in the Bible, that would be circular. I'm not defending anything. I was simply correcting a statement that you didn't even make. The person who made the statement says they are a Christian, so I am ensuring they understand that, as a Christian, the resurrection made up for all sin. They appeared to not realize that, or perhaps simply misstated what they meant.

I won't agree or disagree with the rest of what you said, since it could impact the debate, and I am not CON.
Posted by DunderDwight 1 year ago
DunderDwight
Yes the atheist in God's not dead was definitely a straw man of atheist arguments. He viciously attacked the main character's belief just for believing. The average atheist is not anti religion, atheists in definition are not even against religion. To be an atheist you just don't believe in the existence of a god or gods.

And analyzing the bible with bible logic is a circular argument. I'm not talking about sin, I'm talking about actions followers of Christianity take in the bible that are condoned by god or other Christians. There are contradictions riddled throughout the bible that disagree with what god has said previously in the bible. The whole book just makes no sense and 50% of the bible is just nonsense about livestock numbers or numbers of goods or pointless dictators mentioned.
Posted by RookieApologist 1 year ago
RookieApologist
There is some language here that I think needs clearing up. It doesn't make sense to say "most are able to see the evidence that overwhelmingly shows there is no proof..." It doesn't really matter the topic, so I left the rest out. It would more correct to say, "the evidence is overwhelmingly against there being..."

Also, a straw man is when someone misrepresents your initial claim with exaggerated points of emphasis. I'm not sure I would agree that a movie used a straw man. The student or the teacher could have used a straw man in their debate, but I don't recall either of them doing that.

I think most people will understand what you intend to say, but just wanted to point that out.

I also don't agree that the evil acts in the Bible outweigh the good ones, at least not if you (meaning zlatan10) hold a Christian worldview. The resurrection was a good act that outweighs, and continues to outweigh, all bad acts, or sin.
Posted by DunderDwight 1 year ago
DunderDwight
I was not asserting that the bad in the bible outweighs the good (though this is completely true) I was talking about the acts of Christians based on the bible, being bad. Christians have used God as an excuse to act out atrocities for 2000 years and have changed their "interpretation of God's word" to suit their selfish needs for just as long. And how could I listen to God and Jesus who are completely fictional characters in books that were written before humans figured out that the Earth wasn't flat? The bible is not the word of God and if it is God is a terrible author because there are 1000s of contradictions in the bible. And I have seen God's Not Dead. It was a terrible movie made to make Christians feel better about their beliefs and to support their persecution complex that American Christians have somehow developed even though they are the majority in the country. Also that movie was not a debate, it used a straw man of the absolute most extreme atheist who hated god due to personal tragedy. The majority of atheists don't hate God, most are just able to see the evidence that overwhelmingly shows there is no proof of God and therefore they logically can see Christianity is false.
Posted by zlatan10 1 year ago
zlatan10
DunderDwight, since you are the pro for this case, I assume that you are not a Christian. The Bible does have evidence and I will also assume that you have not read it. You are correct that evil acts outweigh the good ones in the Bible, but that is sin. It entered the world when Adam and Eve(the first people) ate the fruit that was forbidden. I know you, your opponent, myself and every other person on this world have followed their example. Death is what we deserve times 1000 for our sins. It is a crime. In reality, our sin outweighs our punishment. Then Jesus came. He loved us so much he died so we wouldn't have to. He loves you and cares for you. All we have to do is listen to him. We can never be like him. But we can try. I encourage you to watch the movie "God's not dead." It's actually a debate on a case very similar. "Is there a supreme being up above the skies." I do not know what you are good at, but whatever it is, do it for the glory of God. I am praying for you, DunderDwight.
Vote Placed by Peepette 1 year ago
Peepette
DunderDwightPonticGreekMacedonianTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON's debate premise is that Christianity should be extinct. But it goes off the rails. Though PRO offers rather weak rebuttals, it's people not religion; CON concedes on destroying Christianity would break up communities. On his stance that Christianity does more evil than good; he admits to seeing some good works done. CON's primary issue appears to be Christianity's societal influence as a setback to the nation's progress and the separation of church and state should widen. This is not topical to the debate.