Christianity should be held responsible for Hitler's actions

Hello. I'm starting a debate about whether or not Christianity should be held responsible for Hitler's actions. Rules:
First round= acceptance
Second round= arguments
Third round= Final statements
One other thing: Please don't insult anyone, even in the comments.
So, who accepts my debate?

I accept the challenge. I will be arguing that Christianity should be held responsible for the actions of Hitler. I accept the standards laid out by my opponent, and I look forward to the debate that lies ahead.

Sorry. I forgot to add definitions.
Hitler= Chancellor of Germany and man responsible for holocaust.
Christianity= The religion based on the teachings of Jesus.

We will also assume Hitler claimed to be a Christian.
Now, why should Christianity not be held responsible for Hitler's crimes? All religions have hypocrites. Islam has terrorists, Christianity has the Crusaders, etc. Should a religion be held responsible for the actions of a hypocrite? Jesus Himself was Jewish, so why would He WANT Hitler to try to wipe out the Jews? I don't blame the Koran for Osama bin Laden's terrorist attacks, so by the same token, I don't blame Jesus' teachings for Hitler's actions. The teachings of Jesus tell us to turn the other cheek when someone insults us, not to kill them for no reason.

I would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate and for presenting his arguments. I will demonstrate that Adolf Hitler was influenced and motivated by Christian beliefs, and thus Christianity should be held responsible. I will present evidence directly from Hitler, showing that Christianity was a major influence on his mind and influenced his infamous and tragic actions.

From Mein Kampf [1]:
"Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." Hitler directly states here that by working against the Jewish people, he is acting in the will of the Christian God. This demonstrates not only that Hitler is a Christian, but that Hitler's Christianity influenced his infamous actions. Since Christianity resulted in Hitler committing his actions, Christianity must be held responsible.

"The anti-Semitism of the new movement [Christian Social movement] was based on religious ideas instead of racial knowledge." Hitler states here that the anti-Semitism in Nazi Germany is based on religious ideas, rather than race. The religious ideas referred to here are Christianity, and as previously mentioned, Hitler was a Christian. This quote directly shows that Nazi Germany's anti-Semitist policies were based on Christianity; thus, Christianity must be held accountable for the actions of Hitler.

Evidence that Christianity influenced Hitler can also be seen in speeches [2] that Hitler made throughout his life:
"It matters not whether these weapons of ours are humane: if they gain us our freedom, they are justified before our conscience and before our God." (Munich, August 1, 1923) Hitler directly states that no matter his actions, they are justified before God and thus one can continue with them. Since Hitler is on record for being Christian, the God he is referring to in this instance must be the Christian one. Not only does he refer to the Christian God, but he states that his actions don't matter as they are justified by Christianity. This is a clear link to Christianity, as this quote states that Christianity justifies his actions. Because of this clear link, Christianity should be held responsible.

"We National Socialists, too, have deep in our hearts our own faith. We cannot do otherwise. No man can mould the history of peoples or of the world unless he has upon his will and his capacities the blessing of Providence." (June 2, 1937) Hitler states that Nazis like himself have deep faith in "Providence", or the Christian God. Not only does this show that Hitler was influenced and was a Christian, but it also shows that other Nazis were influenced by Christianity. Since Christianity influenced the Nazi's horrendous acts, it must be held responsible.

"[I] never lost my belief, in the midst of setbacks which were not spared me during my period of struggle. Providence has had the last word and brought me success." (November 23, 1939) This quote again demonstrates that Hitler was a Christian and was influenced by it. He gives credit to God for allowing him to reach his position and states that despite setbacks, he never lost his Christian beliefs.

Evidence in photographs also points to a deep connection between Hitler and Christianity. Hitler is seen in prayer [3], greeting several Christian religious figures [4] [5], leaving church [6] and participating in Christian weddings [7].

In summary, Hitler is seen in speeches, photographs and his infamous text "Mein Kampf" to have a deep connection to Christianity. He credits the Christian God for his successes and states that his actions against the Jews were justified by Christianity, that the movement of Nazism was influenced by religious ideals and that Nazis and Christian belief are closely linked. Since Christianity influenced Hitler and the Nazi party to do his infamous actions, Christianity must be held responsible for his actions. I strongly urge a ballot in affirmation of the resolution.

Thank you for accepting this debate. I never knew about those speeches. I don't know a lot of German, so I can't read Mein Komph. Now, for my closing arguments. I admit that all religions have had hypocrites. Not all of them are as extreme as Hitler, but that doesn't change the fact that all religions have hypocrites. I don't think Christianity should be held accountable for Hitler's actions because I don't hold a religion accountable for the actions of hypocrites. For example, I don't blame Muslims for the actions of Osama bin Laden. Hitler claimed to be working for Christianity in propaganda pictures, however, I think he wanted to abolish the church after the war. I don't think any person's actions should be held against a religion no matter how extreme his/her actions are.

I have presented my case.

Pro would like to thank my opponent for starting this debate and offering his arguments.

Let us look over the core arguments of this debate, on both sides of the resolution. Pro has provided evidence from Hitler himself where he states that Christianity has not only inspired him to "work against" the Jewish people, but inspired other Nazis as well. If, for instance, a man is influenced by his teacher to steal one million dollars, shouldn't the teacher be held responsible to some extent for the man's actions? Had it not been for the teacher, then the man would not have stolen the money. The same applies here; Christianity directly influenced Hitler and the Nazis to commit their horrific acts, so it is only rational to hold Christianity accountable.

Now, let's take a look at Con's arguments.

Con's main argument--"All religions have hypocrites"--does not excuse Hitler or Christianity in this matter. If, for instance, every person in a city robbed from a bank, does that mean that robbing from a bank in that city is okay? Pro asks the judge to truly consider this. In the mind of Pro, everyone doing a bad action or having a bad apple does not make that allowable. Keep in mind, Con's entire argument hinges on this; "All religions have hypocrites; a religion should not be held accountable for hypocrites. Therefore, vote Con." If the judge, like Pro, decides that everyone doing a wrongful action or bad apple does not make that okay, the judge must vote for Pro.

To recap this debate, Pro has presented conclusive evidence through speeches and photographs that Hitler was Christian and was influenced by Christianity to do his infamous actions; it's only rational that Christianity is then held accountable. Con's arguments center around "All religions have hypocrites" which, as I've previously demonstrated, cannot be rationally used in this debate. Thus, all of Con's arguments have fallen. Pro strongly urges a ballot in affirmation of the resolution. Thank you.
Posted by giraffelover 3 years ago
PLEASE VOTE!!! One way or the other.
Posted by giraffelover 3 years ago
True. However, the reason I made the assumption that Hitler was a Christian was that I'm actually trying to debate whether one man's actions should reflect on the religion.
Posted by Anonymous1904 3 years ago
You've made an assumption Hitler was Christian. You have not given solid verifiable evidence about his his religious faith. It's very clear Hitler's perceptions were misguided. If he followed the Christian faith and based his life and decisions on Christianity - he would not have killed himself.

The war was not based on Christianity, but rather the perceptions of a man who was mentally ill.
Posted by mrgruff 3 years ago
Sorry, I thought con was short on for description, absent of sources, seeing the current (?) pope in the hitler youth, and pious XII glad handing him is like saying the current pope doesnt have responsibility with the pedophile priests.

I think con established quite well that there was a lot of tolerance for Hitler in the church.
Posted by Avamys 3 years ago
Hitler claimed to be a CHristian. He does not follow the commands of Jesus and God (As stated in the Ten Commandments: Do not kill, Do not steal, etc), so I do not see why he is a real Christian. It's not like he confessed, as he committed suicide.