Christianity vs Islam

Zidane has forfeited round #2.

Muslims and Christians agree on several topics. Namely, we agree that God exists. We also agree on several social issues going on today. Here is where we disagree on. We disagree with Muhammad is a prophet, deity of Christ and the trinity. My opponent and I will discuss these topics. I hope this will be a fruitful dialogue. I will allow my opponent to give his case on why Islam is correct on these topics.

Thank you for my opponent to challenge me on this topic, let me give you some statement regarding your disagreement.

1. Muhammad Pbuh is a prophet.
a. Because he was prophesied by the 'bible'.
b. An unlettered man, who brought the word of God, which may make some possibilities :
- Quran is forgery, but how com the forged one is the 'better' one?
- Quran is a true words of God, with Prophet Muhammad as the messenger.

2. Deity of Jesus Christ, the Messiah.
a. Jesus is the messenger, so no way he can be the message sender. (John 5:24)
b. Indeed, Jesus is the anointed one, but his power was given (John 5:27), how come he is the 'creator' or the 'almighty', since it might contradicted with the word in the beginning (John 1:1).

3. Tawheed and Trinity.
a. Trinity has no 'very' basic components in the bible.
b. God explicitly teach the oneness of God, in the old testament, the new testament, and the Quran.

So, I hope our next round will focus on those three basic topics, and I'm hoping for my opponent's rebuttal to be as explicit as possible, thank you.

Thank you Zadane. I will now respond

Muhammad is a prophet

a. Biblical prophecies: I am actually quite familiar with these alleged prophecies. Muslims have tried to show that Muhammad is a prophet by pointing out texts in the Bible because if Muhammad is not mentioned in the Bible, then the Qur'an cannot be the word of God and Muhammad cannot be a prophet (Surah 7:157 and Surah 10:94) A lot of the verses they point out are for lack of a better word embarrassing. I will provide an example. John 16:13-14 because of what is said in Surah 53:3-4 has nothing to do with Muhammad. Let us break down these two verses "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you." First, Jesus is talking to the people at his time and Muhammad was born at least six centuries later. Second, he identifies the attributes of the Spirit of Truth in John 14:17, "Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you." This means that the spirit of truth cannot be a human. Third, Jesus identifies who this comforter is. This comforter is the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). According to this logic Muhammad has the attributes of the Holy Spirit. I would believe that Christians and Muslims would both agree that this is blasphemous because this claim's conclusion applies a Godly attribute to Muhammad. The second one they point to is machmad (Strongs Hebrew 4261) in Hebrew is prophesying Muhammad in Song of Solomon 5:16 because the word sound like Muhammad. This is a silly argument and not the way to deal with languages that are not your own. This argument is again devastating to Islam. If you read Isaiah 64:11 consistently with this claim, then Muhammad will be laid waste under the judgment of God. Also, if people making this claim were going to be consistent, then the people saying Allahu Akbar, instead of saying God is great, they would be saying that Allah is a mouse because the Arabic word for Akbar is the same word for Hebrew meaning mouse. (Stongs Hebrew 5909) A third argument that you will hear Muslims use is Deuteronomy 18:15-19. The problem with this being Muhammad is that the early apostles applied these verses to Jesus in Acts 3:20-22. Another problem is that Deuteronomy 34:10-12 gives criteria of being a prophet like Moses namely performing many miracles. The disbelievers in Islam questioned why Muhammad was not performing miracles like Moses. The Qur'an answers this question is the Qur'an is the only miracle that came from Muhammad (Surah 28:58-50).

b. The Qur'an: There has been a challenge put forth by the Qur'an calling nonbelievers to produce a chapter like the ones found in the Qur'an (Surah 2:23) I will point to a story in the hadith for an example of how this challenge has been met.

"...When the apostle had held a meeting in which he reminded them of God, and warned his people of what had happened to bygone generations as a result of God's vengeance, al-Nadr got up when he sat down, and said, 'I can tell a better story than he, come to me.' Then he began to tell them about the kings of Persia, Rustum and Isbandiyar, and then he would say, 'In what respect is Muhammad a better story-teller than I?'" [Sirat, pp. 135-136] The question we need to ask ourselves during this debate is why would God issue a challenge in his book that can be met easily?

Another critique of the Qur'an is the errors that the Qur'an has such as retelling stories from popular stories of the day. There are also scientific errors in the Qur'an

2. Deity of Christ
What he said leads us into the trinity which I will discuss later. The question is how do we know that Jesus is divine. We know this first by the fact the Jesus was worshiped and Jesus did not rebuke his worshipers (Matthew 2:11, Matthew 8:2, Matthew 28:9, Mark 16:1 and John 20:28-29).
Second, Jesus himself claimed deity. Jesus describes himself as the son of man that will come in the clouds mentioned in Daniel 7:13-14 at his trial (Matthew 26:64 and Mark 14:62). He also quoted Psalms 110:1 in the previously mentioned verses and Luke 22:69. Jesus described himself as having power on earth to forgive sins (Matthew 9:6, Mark 2:10 and Luke 5:24). He also accepted worship as deity from Thomas when he saw that he was risen (John 20:28-29).Jesus makes I AM statements (compare Exodus 3:14) From these verses and many others, we can clearly see that the Christ teaches that he is indeed God in the flesh.
Jesus confirmed his claim to be deity by dying on the cross and rising again the third day. I will discuss this in more detail in later rebuttals.

Tawheed and the trinity
There is lots of examples of the trinity that I could point to in both the Old Testament and the New Testament of binatarian language and trinitarian language.
New Testament
"1 John 5:7 (Johannian Comma) (note that this verse is debated upon because of manuscripts but is found in the King James Version)
"Matthew 28:19
"John 10:30
"1 Timothy 3:16
"John 1:14
"Philippians 2:6
"2 Corinthian 13:14
"John 5:22-23,26,31-32
"John 17:5,21-23
Old Testament
"Zechariah 2:8-9
"Exodus 3 (pay attention to verses 2 and 4)
"Genesis 16:10-13
"Judges 6:11-23
"Psalm 2:2
"Psalm 110:1
"Isaiah 48:12,16
"Judges 5:13-14
"Genesis 18 (cross reference with John 1:18 and Exodus 33:20) (he is not the father but another person but might be a pre-incarnate Christ)
"Genesis 1:26
"Amos 4:11
"The Hebrew אֱלֹהִים (Elohim) (which is a name for God) is in the plural meaning 3 or more
"In the Muslim Quran, it says that Allah (الله) needs a veil (حِجَابٍ) to hide his glory when he gives revelation in Surah 42:51. The question to ask is what is this veil? Dr. Wesley Muhamad in his dissertation, "Tajallī wa-Ru'ya A study of anthropomorphic theophany and Visio Dei in the Hebrew Bible, the Qur'ān and early Sunnī Islam", he describes this veil as "light" on page 81. I could cross reference this with John 1:18, 8:12 and 9:39.

I could go into more detail on this, but I'll allow my opponent the chance to respond.