Christianity vs atheism
Debate Rounds (5)
The first is only acceptance
The second round will be opening statements and definitions.
The third round will be about why you personally are that religion
The fourth round will be counter arguments only
The final round will be closing statements
Also please state what type of atheist you are. I am a Protestant by the way
I will be the Christian representative and con will be the atheist representative. Thank you
According to www.thefreedictonary.com/christanity: there are 5 definitions of Christanity.
1. Proffesing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on Jesus's life.
2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's techniques.
3. Manafesting the qualities or spirit of Jesus Christ.
4. Relating to or characteristics of christanity or its adherents.
5. Showing a loveing concern for others.
Now effence on number 5, gods people Christian's are according to this and many other sites, the loving concern. So a dictionary website (not religious site ) has stated christans are the love and concearn for the world. So this is proof that Christians are righteous people.
As stated in the bible Christians are the welfare and love of the world.
Next is the definition of atheism:
According to www.refrence.com/browse/atheist
A person who denies or disbelieves the existence of supreme beings.
Now another definition of atheism from www.thefreedictonary.com/atheist:
A person who disbelieves or denies the exsistance of god or gods.
So my point here is that atheism is not really a religion at all. Kind of like how anarchy might not be considered a form of government.
There are many ways to defend yourself here but I wonder in awe which one you will pick. Also please inform me wether or not you are agnostic, scientific or regular kind of atheism, thanks
1) the definitions you gave are not what that site gave me when I looked at the exact same word. I got this:
1. The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2. Christians as a group; Christendom.
3. The state or fact of being a Christian.
4. pl. Chris"ti"an"i"ties A particular form or sect of the Christian religion: the Christianities of antiquity.
so.. either you were dishonest about the definitions or the site in which you got them from, maybe in hopes I would not check.
2) You stated "So a dictionary website (not religious site ) has stated christans are the love and concearn for the world. So this is proof that Christians are righteous people."
This is not proof. Not only because the information you gave was inaccurate in regards to its source, but because the statement of something in a dictionary (assuming you were correct in the first place) does not mean that what you draw from it is fact. Showing a loving concern for others does not make you righteous, in fact...what does it really mean to be righteous anyway? By what standards are we measuring it? Being concerned for others, even in Christian doctrine is not sufficient for salvation so why even bring that up?
In regards to your view on Atheism, I don't see who in their right mind would argue with you that Atheism is not a religion. I agree with you. What I disagree with is your false conclusions from a definition you seem to have made up yourself and mislabeled.
I have always felt better when i pray to god or go to church because I feel like someone is with me. Even if emphasis on if god is not real, I still feel like this a good for me and other people working as a community. I think god speaks to me through visions and dreams.
Now for your other response: In regards to atheism, I don't see who in their right mind would argue with you that atheism is not a religion. I agree with you? What is that supposed to mean?
No it's not. This is not actually proof of anything. It's like saying "my mom says I'm special so it must be true." Just because someone or a group of people say something does not make it fact or proof or anything substantial. Things we know about the world are found through scientific exploration into the things we can see, feel, hear, etc. Because God cannot be observed or experimented, he/she/it remains in the realm of groundless speculation.
"I have always felt better when I pray to god or go to church because I feel like someone is with me. Even if emphasis on if god is not real, I still feel like this a good for me and other people working as a community. I think god speaks to me through visions and dreams."
While this is nice and all, it does not prove anything. The good feeling you get from something does not necessarily mean there is a God. Praying probably makes you feel better because you go into it already believing someone is listening. Also, how does prayer help "people working in a community?" You didn't explain that and I highly doubt you have any reasonable grounds for a conclusion like that.
1. "Atheist are the kind of people who have to be the smartest and more rational then every one else."
2. "They constantly complain how Christians are always forcing there beliefs when there ones starting the never ending debates."
3. "I know there's a god I have hade experiences were he has spoken to me. There is a god and let everyone know about it."
1. That is a gross (and incorrect) generalization. What is wrong with wanting to be smart and rational anyway? And are you implying that you are neither of those things? Since (like we said) Atheism is not a religion, it does not have any central agenda or goal. There are some atheists who have agendas but it has nothing to do with some kind of central dogma. That would be your way of thinking.
2. Again, gross (and incorrect) generalization. The feeling that many Christians force their beliefs on other is shared by many (including other Christians) and is not limited to us. We are not always starting debates and even if we were that would be irrelevant to this discussion.
3. That is not something you can use in an argument. There is no way to prove you spoke to a god, only your word.
Please make up your mind on what you wanted this to be about because all I am doing is replying to your arguments.
wolfman4711 forfeited this round.
Chamerlengo forfeited this round.
No votes have been placed for this debate.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.