Christianity vs atheism

1st for acceptance
2nd for main point
3rd and 4th for rebuttal
5th closing and rebuttal

I accept. I look forward to my opponents arguments.

As an atheist you need to account for things

1. How can the atheist account for existance

2. how can the atheist account for rationality

3. how can the atheist account for morality

4. what does the atheist stand to gain from disproving the existence of God

5. where in the bible does it say God is a physical being.

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.

go ahead, answer

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.

You can still go

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.

KingDebater369 forfeited this round.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
He won by one point. Not a victory in the slightest.
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
Lastly I just wanted to add something into this debate even though it is far over with. As a Christian, you do not get to dictate what we as atheist have to account for. Atheism is a single position on a single topic, has nothing to do with rationality, morals, or the origins of the universe. It is a simple rejection of the claim of a deity. Nothing more. I tire of having to explain this to countless theists that just cant figure this out.

Secondly, I believe that the opponent left because pro did not make a point to argue in his opening round. Instead, he chose to be a sneaky, underhanded debater and tried to make the opponent answer pre-determined questions so that he could snipe the answers apart. This is a highly dishonest method of debate and is quite frankly downright abominable.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
@godsnumberis7 - The bible really doesn't indicate clearly what exactly God is. The only passages of this deity manifesting in the physical world was the old testament accounts of actually seeing and hearing God and the physical embodiment of Jesus Christ.

Other passages say that:
God is love - 1 John 4:8
God is spirit - John 4:24
God is the Alpha and Omega - Revelation 22:13

The fact that it does not say that God is a physical being does not hold any bearing on any topic of substance. It does not provide proof or evidence. It is just an omission of an attribute.

What exactly is the point of this question/argument?

Are you just trying to ask more irrelevent questions that can't be answered?

You haven't even made a case for your side of the argument other than asking questions.
Posted by godsnumberis7 2 years ago
@fatalarchon, but it doesn't say god is a physical being
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
Im going to go ahead and answer the questions posted by Pro, here in the comments section.

1. How can the atheist account for existence?
All scientific evidence we currently have points to a cosmological event where all matter in the known universe erupted from a single point. This is not the presumption that this matter came from nothing. Nor is this the presumption that there was nothing before it. There could be/have been any number of similar universe "births" in other parts of the cosmos. To be highly speculative, it could be possible that our universe came from the matter of another larger universe.

2. How can the atheist account for rationality?
This is a malformed question. Rationality is a concept that is based on the use of properly formed logic, reason and evidence. Using stable rationality has been proven to be the best and most accurate way of determining the way things truly are in our environment.

3. How can the atheist account for morality?
I cannot speak for other's morality. I can say that my morality comes from a personal responsibility to understand that when I swing my arm around, that right ends and the tip of someone else's nose. When someone harms me, I am upset and I take a personal responsibility to not inflict the same harm and upset upon someone else.

4. What does the atheist stand to gain from disproving the existence of God?
The goal of the atheist is not to "disprove" God. Atheist just simply do not believe a god exists. The purpose of the atheists I know and myself wish to promote logical thought and practical reasoning. The adherence to a religiously poisonous doctrine could be and has been proven to be harmful and detrimental to society as a whole.

5. Where in the bible does it say God is a physical being?
John 14:8-14:14 - This passage directly indicates that Jesus is claiming that he is the physical embodiment of God.
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
@Forgiven - Wow, now you have nothing to say? You were all about telling me how wrong I was. Did I strike a nerve? Did you realize you worship a ridiculously vengeful and hateful God? Your all-high-and-mighty creator is not so benevolent is he? He is a rather immoral pile of excrement isn't he?

Well here are some more things to think about. All of the following is under the assumption that the bible is true(which I of course don't believe but just want to point out how ridiculous your continuation of belief is):

1. If God is all-knowing, then there is no free will. He created everything knowing the decision to every choice that ever existed and will ever exist. So he created the rapist on purpose, He created the murderer, the pedophile, etc... And then decided to kill the entire planet for fun. He does nothing to prevent evil from happening.
2. The above contradicts the benevolent attribute. There is no benevolence in anything from number 1.
3. God lied to Adam and Eve in the garden when he told them they would die if they ate from the forbidden tree. The serpent is the one who told them the truth that if they ate they would know right and wrong.
4. If God is all-powerful then why could he not drive the people from the plains, Judges 1:19. You mean to tell me that the omnipotent creator of the universe and all that exists could not move a couple of chariots filled with iron? And what all-powerful god has to rest anyway after creating a universe. All-powerful means unlimited power/energy. No rest would be needed unless he was tired.

So lets recap
God is not all powerful. God is immoral. God is a liar. God is not benevolent.
Now lets just assume God did allow free will, then he is also not all-knowing.

So remind me again why you worship this monstrosity of a being.
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
Forgiven - You have really just shown yourself to be a detail-dancer. You try to move away or redirect from the argument by focusing on the semantics. My title is no longer important. You know my stance.

As for the tennis team - You stated, "why would a tennis team support rape or murder? Where does that even come from? There's no reasoning or foundation that I can see why that would happen. But, no. I probably wouldn't play on that tennis team. That's not what tennis is about."

Interesting you say that because Christianity IS about those things. Yet you still choose to play on that "Team". It appears that you fall into the category of Christian that just regurgitates what the pastor says and does not actually read the bible.

God has commanded that:
Slavery is acceptable - Exodus 21:2-6, 1 Timothy 6:1-2, Luke 12:47-48
How to trick a slave into lifelong servitude - Exodus 21:7-11
Rape is ok - Judges 21:10-24, Deuteronomy 20:10-14
If you rape it is ok if you marry the victim - Deuteronomy 22:28-29
Commands to murder - Deuteronomy 17:12, Exodus 22:17, Leviticus 20:13, Deuteronomy 22:20-21, Deuteronomy 18:20-22, Exodus 31:12-15, there are too many to post.
Commands to commit mass genocide - Deuteronomy 13:13-19, Deuteronomy 13:7-12, Deuteronomy 17:2-5
Ritual Human sacrifice - Judges 11:29-40, Joshua 7:15, 1 Kings 13:1-2, 2 Kings 23:20-25, Ezekiel 21:33-37

The list continues on, but personally this was enough for me to not worship the monster you do. From there I started actually questioning the existence of god, realized there was no good reason to believe God and thus stopped.

The bible is rife with immorality and genocide including the mass slaughter of everyone on the planet by god himself save a few select people. It is packed chock full of impossibilities like those select people and a plethora of millions of species of animals along with a years worth of food and supplies for all of them packed on to a 45 foot long boat.
Posted by Forgiven 2 years ago
FatalArchon- About the tennis team....why would a tennis team support rape or murder? Where does that even come from? There's no reasoning or foundation that I can see why that would happen. But, no. I probably wouldn't play on that tennis team. That's not what tennis is about. There's no reasoning behind that. You could make this argument about anything, though. "What if a pack of Americans believes in killing babies for fun? Would you still be an American?" There's no reasoning for an American to believe that. It's ridiculous. Most Americans do NOT believe that, and there is no reason for them to do so. Can we really judge tennis or Americans as a whole based on some faulty radical group? You could say this about nearly everything. This analogy is terrible if it is supposed to stand for what I think it does. Atheism is believing there is no God(s). But you haven't said that. You just reject God claims. Why would that make you an atheist? For the tennis analogy to work, it would have to be something contradictory to the foundation of tennis. However, a tennis team, whether it believes that murder and rape are okay, doesn't change whether it's a tennis team or not. An atheist, whether they believe there is no God or have no stance because of lack of evidence, does change whether they're an atheist or not.
Posted by Forgiven 2 years ago
FatalArchon- You are making it as if the definition of atheism isn't the definition. You're making it sound like the way that people live who claim to be atheist live is the actual definition. The problem is that can be very different, so then there would be no way to define clearly was an, "atheist," is if it is just however he or she lives their life individually. You say go talk to some atheists to find out what an atheist is all about. Well, how can I know they are atheist? If I have a way of identifying whether they are atheist or not, wouldn't I know what they're about? They would have to identify why they're an atheist for me to know they are one, and then I would know what they're about. Even so, why do they have to be the ones to tell me the definition? And I wouldn't doubt there are faulty websites out there, but I think it's a little much to say that every definition on the internet is incorrect or meant to harass atheists. Next, I don't remember saying that atheists say, "God doesn't exist." I think that this probably isn't something an atheist would say. You're right that's a statement that would need proof. Proof that can't be given. If there was proof one way or another, then there wouldn't even be a debate. An atheist would more likely say, "I believe God doesn't exist," knowing they can't prove it, just stating that they believe it. There's no reason for me to ask for proof that they believe it, but I could ask why they believe that. Either side of the arguments requires believing (whether God exists or that there is no God). However, if you have no beliefs, and you are saying, "Either way is possible, but I don't agree with claims either way because there is no evidence." does sound agnostic. They are unsure which side they agree with. It's possible, they say, but they have no evidence, so they don't believe it. However, if there was evidencing, you wouldn't be believing, anyways. You would just be knowing.
Posted by FatalArchon 2 years ago
Forgiven - You say that you are playing on the tennis team. What if you found out that team was supporting something terrible like rape or murder. Would you still play on the team? Would you still play at all?
Vote Placed by Themba 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: FF.