GarretKadeDupre
Philosophy123

Christianity

GarretKadeDupre

GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Sins do not all hold the same weight. One sin can be worse of the other.
Philosophy123

Con

I accept, I will be arguing on behalf of all sins holding equal weight.
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

It is self-evident that raping a child is worse than stealing a toothpick.

I'd like to point out that I didn't start this debate. Someone who was staying at my house logged into my account and posted this debate while I was sleeping but I figured now that it's accepted I may as well continue it.
Philosophy123

Con

I shall make my answer brief just as my opponent did. He stated that rape is worse than stealing a toothpick, here is my attempt to prove him incorrect:

Lets start with some logical statements which I have created to justify Deontology:
Argument #1:
1. Humans can be wrong.
2. Nature, nor the universe, nor the Christian God hold prejudices to moral actions(Jesus loves us all the same unconditionally and the only punished action is one of non-belief and not true morality).
3. If this is true then the only moral prejudice has been created by humans.
4. Since humans can be wrong and the only moral prejudice comes from humans, it is likely/possible that current human conceptions of morality are foolish and incorrect.
5. Therefore we cannot trust modern ethical systems.

This means that though rape is more punishable than stealing a toothpick, this is only because us foolish humans have deemed it so. It is idiotic for us to assume that we are at the height of human understanding. We cannot say whether or not your previous statement is true.

Argument #2:
All actions which your soul deems immoral are equal because they have the same consequence. You are merely spitting in the face of God, your existence, and the gifts you have been given. Because of the indeterminacy of human judgement we cannot say that being punished for an action was wrong and since every sin is in essence simply spitting in the face of your existence then all sins are equally evil.
GarretKadeDupre

Pro

Jesus said in Matthew 12:31 that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the only sin that can't be forgiven:
  • I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.

This debate is called Christianity. Christians must accept this as proof that not all sins are equal, since blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can't be forgiven but all others can be.

Case closed, thanks for debating me on this topic.
Philosophy123

Con

Philosophy123 forfeited this round.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
There are over 1000 commandments in the NT, to disobey any is a sin and god never gives you the freedom to follow the commandments you like and neglect the rest. Nor does god tell you that you can relax the penalties he has imposed for breaking them.
Any god that condones slavery is immoral. Any god that would punish a person for what they believe is immoral. Any god that would punish children for the crimes of there parents is immoral. Any god that would kill an innocent man for the crimes of an other is immoral. A perfectly just god who sentences his imperfect creation to infinite punishment for finite sins is immoral.
These are a few of the many reasons why secular morality is a better choice then religious morality. Using reason will always be a better choice then religious faith when it comes to morality.
Posted by Mortaryan 1 year ago
Mortaryan
Interesting debate.

It is clear that all sin destroys the soul, as Christ made clear (one sin is as all sin), but it is self evident that different sins have different impacts, and cause different levels of suffering.

A fire cracker can burn your hand, but an M80 can blow off your fingers/hand.

Stealing a toothpick might not have the immediately recognizable effect of child abuse, but the small lie or theft could be equated with the frog put in a pot to slow cook, while the abuse could be the frog in the blender, but both lead to the death of the frog.

(P.S. Plus it is important to note, there are 5 different words for "sin" in the Hebrew language...we would would have to figure out which word Jesus was referring to.)
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
life;
The property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter.
Posted by StalinIncarnate 1 year ago
StalinIncarnate
What is life?
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
missmedic
what is sin?
Posted by Envisage 1 year ago
Envisage
This resolution... Is not a resolution.
Posted by StalinIncarnate 1 year ago
StalinIncarnate
You need to clarify a debate subject before beginning a open debate.
Vote Placed by BoggyB 1 year ago
BoggyB
GarretKadeDuprePhilosophy123Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was able to show that blasphemy against the spirit is unforgivable, while all other sins are forgivable. He fulfilled the resolution by doing so and Con didn't challenge this point, points to Pro. Also sources to Pro, he quoted the Bible.